Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

TV 5, fire David Custer

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
DAC

TV 5, fire David Custer

Post by DAC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:27 am

Custer needs to be fired, for no other reason than he's done a lousy job ever since he arrived. His attention-grabbing blogs and facebook posts sometimes overshadow the fact that he's just not any good at his actual job.

IIN4MU

Re: TV 5, fire David Custer

Post by IIN4MU » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:15 pm

The only inflated penis pic on his Facebook page is of Trump.

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:19 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:13 am
So what was it that did it for you?

Was it posting a photo of him and his gay bae with inflated penises on their heads?

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... =5&t=49559

Was it calling people who condemn rioting "racists" and calling people who criticize journalists "racist"?

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... =5&t=50652

Or was it skipping out on working sweeps to attend a Cher concert?

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... =5&t=46592
Putting all of that aside, and just judging by how he does on the air, I think he sucks. There's an odd smugness, superiority, and lack of professionalism with his delivery that you never would have seen with Sam Merrill, Katie O'mara, Carrie Sharp, just to name more recent anchors.

Make no mistake, all that other stuff you listed is annoying as hell as well, and should probably be dealt with by the station, since he is a representative of TV 5. But I think he should be sacked just for his lousy delivery of the news. I'd rather see Frank Turner as the main guy.

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:48 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:35 pm
DAC wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:19 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:13 am
So what was it that did it for you?

Was it posting a photo of him and his gay bae with inflated penises on their heads?

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... =5&t=49559

Was it calling people who condemn rioting "racists" and calling people who criticize journalists "racist"?

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... =5&t=50652

Or was it skipping out on working sweeps to attend a Cher concert?

https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... =5&t=46592
Putting all of that aside, and just judging by how he does on the air, I think he sucks. There's an odd smugness, superiority, and lack of professionalism with his delivery that you never would have seen with Sam Merrill, Katie O'mara, Carrie Sharp, just to name more recent anchors.

Make no mistake, all that other stuff you listed is annoying as hell as well, and should probably be dealt with by the station, since he is a representative of TV 5. But I think he should be sacked just for his lousy delivery of the news. I'd rather see Frank Turner as the main guy.
I think all of the stations should deliver a "black out." All black anchors, reporters, producers, directors, and management for the day.
As long as it's a "Custer Out," I'll be happy. Perhaps if Meg had a more professional co-anchor, she wouldn't look like she's always about to crap her pants with intensity.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:50 pm

There’s no chance that TV5 will fire Custer. Why would they? He has the #1 rated newscast in the market. They make the most money for their newscasts.

You might dislike Custer, but advertisers go where the eyeballs are at. As long as he’s helping bring in the money, the GM will keep Custer right where he’s at.

DAC

Post by DAC » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:16 pm

sinklair wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:50 pm
There’s no chance that TV5 will fire Custer. Why would they? He has the #1 rated newscast in the market. They make the most money for their newscasts.

You might dislike Custer, but advertisers go where the eyeballs are at. As long as he’s helping bring in the money, the GM will keep Custer right where he’s at.
Perhaps they'd pull in even more eyeballs if they sacked him and replaced him with someone who has a sense of dignity and professionalism while on the air, rather than the smarmy, glowing like a Christmas tree even while delivering bad news, train wreck that Custer is. What kills me is that they have a guy in house who fits the bill.

Also, are you suggesting that Custer has a free pass to do all the dog and pony crap that he posts online, just because the ratings are good? No wonder he's always aglow and smarmy.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:32 am

5 is still number one. They’re not going to fire Custer until that changes.

If you don’t like him, make your voice heard by turning to another station. But since you’re obsessed with Custer, I doubt that will happen.

That being said, I agree Custer isn’t a great anchor. Personally I believe Turner is better and underused. But the GM and News Director aren’t going to stick theur heads out to make a major change like replacing Custer when he’s topping ratings.

Rating levels at all stations are down because of fragmentation — people are getting news from more sources than TV... websites, social media, etc... which Nielsen and ComScore don’t accurately measure.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:18 am

sinklair wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:32 am
5 is still number one. They’re not going to fire Custer until that changes.

If you don’t like him, make your voice heard by turning to another station. But since you’re obsessed with Custer, I doubt that will happen.

That being said, I agree Custer isn’t a great anchor. Personally I believe Turner is better and underused. But the GM and News Director aren’t going to stick theur heads out to make a major change like replacing Custer when he’s topping ratings.

Rating levels at all stations are down because of fragmentation — people are getting news from more sources than TV... websites, social media, etc... which Nielsen and ComScore don’t accurately measure.
Obsessed? What do you know about my obsessions? You assume a lot for someone who doesn't know much. Anyhow, what you're saying is that it's okay that 5 is a pile of dog crap, steaming on the sidewalk on a cold morning, because 12, 25, 66 are all giant heaps of manure, set on fire? Nice try, Skippy.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:03 pm

R: you and Custer would be great buds considering all the Sonny and CHER links you add to your posts!

As far as ratings go, viewers who use most cable services (Charter, Uverse, etc. — but not Comcast) as well satellite services like Dish Network and DirecTV automatically opt in to provide ratings data to ComScore ratings service.

Since Comcast serves Flint and isn’t reflected in ComScore, ABC 12 and 25-66 are generally underrepresented. Nielsen oversamples in the Saginaw area. Both approaches tend to benefit WNEM... which is why they continue to win ratings books.

25-66 doesn’t have a ratings, promotional, news coverage or community outreach strategy. That was all thrown out with the disastrous “Mid-Michigan NOW!” rebranding. The in over her head News Director now looks to group manager Lame Michaelsen for approval. Neille doesn’t live in the market, isn’t connected to local organizations and generally doesn’t give a F. She blames others for her underwhelming coverage decisions. That’s why we lose to 5 & 12.

Ratings are more a reflection of older demographics and habit viewing. Most ABC 12 viewers still think Bill Harris still works there...

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:25 pm

David Custer also saw country great Dolly Parton in concert too!!! YEP, David is a fan!!!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:36 pm

R: sorry that I confused you for someone who actually wanted to know something about the topic you’re talking about. Your butt must be hurt from all the crap you’re talking about others...

Show me one comment where I’ve ever sided with Nancy Pelosi. You won’t find it. However I sure can find lots of your butt kissing for Fox News and the President’s racist comments.

Grandpappy, it’s time for you to go back to the home and take your meds...

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:41 am

Once again, R gets called out.. he can’t answer the question with facts.. and resorts to diversion and calling anyone who disagrees with him a liberal/DNC talking points. R is the definition of the fake news he claims to despise but in reality peddles with every post on the Buzzboard. He can’t stay on topic. He personally attacks anyone who disagrees with him. And he deserves to be placed in the D-bag repository.

To get back on track: should David Custer be fired? I don’t think he’s done anything worth firing. Is he the best anchor in the market or even at his station? No, I don’t think so. I personally believe Frank Turner is underutilized and under promoted... and has been since he was hired at the Rusty Nickel. But there’s no incentive for the GM to make a change since TV5 is top in ratings and still bringing in the lion’s share of revenue in the money dayparts. So until he commits an actual fireable offense or until profits erode, Custer’s not going anywhere anytime soon.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:15 am

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:24 pm

Back in the mid & late 2000's decade, Katie O'Mara & the late Sam Merrill said, Katie: "You are watching TV 5 News At 11:00 much more still to come" Sam: "On TV 5 News At 11 where you get your top stories and tomorrows forecast during the first 10 minutes every single hour we'll be back in 2 minutes". Problem was it was 90 seconds & then the news came back on!!! At the 6:00 show "You are watching TV News At 6 serving Beal City, Tawas City, Cass City & all of Mid - Michigan tonight we thank you for joining us back after this".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic