Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Any News On New WLLA OTA Signals?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Trophyhead

Any News On New WLLA OTA Signals?

Post by Trophyhead » Wed May 20, 2020 5:21 pm

I am getting video black on 64.4 and 64.5, a first in my experience receiving this station.

The return of the THIS movie channel or the arrival of Movies! or Decades Television In Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids would be welcomed, any specifics will be appreciated!

Trophyhead

Re: Any News On New WLLA OTA Signals?

Post by Trophyhead » Sat May 23, 2020 2:03 am

The answer appeared early today, with slates explaining that 64.3 and 64.4 would serve as conduits for H&I TV (Heroes and Icons) and Decades.

Retro TV has already shifted out to 64.5.

H&I carries some of the same western content found on MeTV, along with a daily dose of Star Trek Original. Will read up on Decades to assess its provisions.
Last edited by Trophyhead on Sun May 24, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

statmanmi

Yes! Re: Any News On New WLLA OTA Signals?

Post by statmanmi » Sat May 23, 2020 12:52 pm

I came here to say this too Trophyhead!

I also saw the slide around Midnight on 64.3 & 64.4, as well as the move of RetroTV to 64.5.

Per the station’s Facebook post, they intend on having these diginets’ content streaming by June 1st:

https://www.facebook.com/385602832544/p ... 394452545/

“We are excited to add two new channels to the WLLA lineup! We'll be testing and getting ready over the next week and plan to launch by June 1st. Retro TV will be moving to 64.5 to make room for our new channels on 64.3 and 64.4.“

~~~~~~~~~~~

On the off chance that anyone follows my Live Bandscan contributions:

https://m.rabbitears.info/index.php?req ... e=ET&unit=

My mast-mounted pre-amp started failing earlier this month. My wife & I care not to have me risk a trip to the roof in these odd times, so I’ve been running a temporary set-up from inside my garage attic for the time being. WZZM 13 seems to suffer from multi-path, and WWTV 9 from my hometown isn’t reaching me reliably. I’ll get it sorted out in the next few weeks.

I also can reconsider whether I’m interested in continuing to lock-in consistently WILX 10 Lansing, now that H&I will be on WLLA. No, I’m not a Trekkie—but I enjoy The Greatest American Hero Saturday mornings.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Thu May 28, 2020 6:33 pm

As of now (Thurs. 5/28 around 6:15pm), the announced sub-channel changes seem to be in place:

64-3 as Heroes & Icons TV...with an episode of Monk on.

64-4 as Decades, per the logo bug. I'm unsure of the black and white content.

64-5 as retrotv, per its logo bug.

Enjoy! ~~ Statmanmi

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 pm

Out of curiosity, what airs on 64.2?

Michigan Media

Post by Michigan Media » Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 pm
MeTV

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks.

Decent lineup overall!

Jason Kragt

Re: Yes! Re: Any News On New WLLA OTA Signals?

Post by Jason Kragt » Sat May 30, 2020 1:27 pm

statmanmi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Actually I do watch the Live Bandscan map and am interested in participating myself. I have a low-power FitPC I can dedicate to it. I just need to know what the best converter box people are using nowadays and what software they use.

I have an old "Royal 17" area special that is in terrific shape since it has never been outside of an attic. The general purpose element is pointed east and does a good job picking up 3, 8, 17, 43 and 64. The high-VHF element picks up 13 and 35 quite reliably. I removed the high-UHF element from the mix (that was originally engineered for analog 35 and 54) since that range has been vacated. 41 is my only miss since their STA sends nothing but null this direction. I'm surprised it picks up 13 and 64 as well as it does from here in Saugatuck.

statmanmi

Re: Yes! Re: Any News On New WLLA OTA Signals?

Post by statmanmi » Sun May 31, 2020 8:50 pm

Michigan Media wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:41 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 pm
MeTV
For further insight to MWmetalhead and others:

The MeTV on 64.2 is broadcast in 720p. It's been that way since late July last year (2019).

Hogan's Heroes during the 10pm hour each weeknight looks amazing--better than when we were kids! It was mentioned to me a few years ago that it was one of the first series to be remastered into HD from film, as a proof-of-concept. It probably sold the DVDs a decade ago, and now MeTV benefits from that effort--at least for affiliates such as WLLA and cable systems that do more than SD.

Per the TSReader Export I did this afternoon to submit to RabbitEars.info, the rounded bitrate percentages to each sub-channel are:

30% 64.1 Christian Religious 1080i
19% 64.2 MeTV 720p
16% 64.3 Heroes and Icons 480i
15% 64.4 Decades 480i
8% 64.5 retrotv 480i

~12% Rounding/Audio/PSIP

The PSIP guide information for most programming seemed to start being correct yesterday, after a week of TBD and such. My Tablo DVR doesn't yet have fully accurate data for recording--but their support team passed along the needs to the guide data's third party provider.
Jason Kragt wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:27 pm
statmanmi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Actually I do watch the Live Bandscan map and am interested in participating myself. I have a low-power FitPC I can dedicate to it. I just need to know what the best converter box people are using nowadays and what software they use.

Hi Jason,

I'll send you a Private Message with more details about contributing to the Live Bandscan at RabbitEars.info.

I watched ebay for an older model SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuner (HDHR3-US, specifically) and ultimately scored one for ~$30. Then recently ebayed an older model Raspberry Pi set-up ($<50) that gathers and sends the scanning data continuously. That saves from my initial situation of keeping a larger Windows almost always on. It's my first foray into Linux--and hardly counts, as my cousin had to help me get things running.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 31, 2020 9:12 pm

Wow - we don't even have MeTV in HD here in Detroit. WDIV (channel 4) carries it on 4.3, I think, and does so in measly 480i.

Every time I turn on Decades, Dick Cavett seems to be on. LOL

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Good news! They're getting closer....

WLLA has been posting on their Facebook page photos and messages about their permanent antenna installation being underway, having started on Sunday (Sept. 13).

They note that there will be occasional outages and reduced power from the interim/auxiliary equipment many days until complete. And a reply they made yesterday noted it'd be 1-2 weeks before all the efforts are completed and full power is in effect.

My tuner data feeding to the Live Bandscan on Rabbitears.info has noted some blips because of this--but I've also been making some adjustments in the last couple of weeks, with more to go myself. Not to bore you, but as a follow-up on my thoughts posted above, I confirmed that the my garage roof mast-mounted pre-amp continues to randomly flake out...and the different pre-amp I had purchased is a bit different power and apparently sensitivity. Further, I found that the new 8' florescent light fixture that was needed in the garage has a new type of ballast ("instant start") that kills VHF reception. My next step regarding this malady is to eliminate the ballast and "direct drive" LED tubes in the fixture. Further Googling has enlightened me (sorry for the pun) that newer ballasts are known for causing this interference, versus older magnetic type ones. New technology--gotta love it!

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:30 pm

I was getting WLLA relatively reliably here last spring. Haven't picked it up in the last month or so. The signal power was low but the quality was high so it was decent overall. I'll watch to see what happens. I did a scan tonight and don't see any changes yet.

My issue lately is with WZZM. It was quite reliable in spite of the long distance until about 2 weeks ago.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic