Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Amash for President...?

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
TeleCine

Amash for President...?

Post by TeleCine » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:23 am

No one in West Mich currently is covering this...Washington Post has it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Amash for President...?

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:07 am

I would love to see some polling data for the 3rd congressional district race.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:38 am

The timing is not for a third-party run. First he needs to prove he can get elected as an independent rep.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TeleCine

Post by TeleCine » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:56 am

What is the POINT of having local political reporters if, by 11 am, they still don't have a story up about the local congressman probably running for the highest office in the land? It'd be like The Press being asleep when Jerry Ford was sworn in and, in fact, The Press covered it very well back then.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:28 pm

This is nothing more than a tease by Mr. Amash.

It's not as if he actually announced he's running for the office.

His recent comments are hardly different from similar comments he's made on the record over the past year. Running for President would be a total waste of time. He'd be lucky to earn 5% of the popular vote.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 pm

Justin Amash wouldn't get a lot of votes and it is a waste of time as well if he ran for President. He has to prove that he can win as independent for congress which I can see Justin can win as I see conservatives voting for him I don't see a split just my opinion. I also don't see a President ever coming from West Michigan as Ford will be the only one even know he was never voted in to become president.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:06 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:28 pm
This is nothing more than a tease by Mr. Amash.

It's not as if he actually announced he's running for the office.

His recent comments are hardly different from similar comments he's made on the record over the past year. Running for President would be a total waste of time. He'd be lucky to earn 5% of the popular vote.
Yeah, most likely flushing for high-dollar quail. I agree, polling data for the district would offer a lot of insight if there's any there there.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:08 am

TeleCine wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:56 am
What is the POINT of having local political reporters if, by 11 am, they still don't have a story up about the local congressman probably running for the highest office in the land? It'd be like The Press being asleep when Jerry Ford was sworn in and, in fact, The Press covered it very well back then.
I don't think the analogy is valid at all. Ford had a 100% chance of becoming President the day he was sworn in. Amash has a 0% chance. There is no comparison.

This is not a story. It is a shiny object. I would be more concerned about the motives of any organization that *did* cover this.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:18 am

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

TeleCine

Post by TeleCine » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:36 pm

The Washington Post covered a local congressman suggesting he's going to run for president and you don't think that's newsworthy? :hat

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:46 pm

No, I do not.

If he forms an exploratory committee or announces he's seeking the Libertarian Party nomination, THAT would be newsworthy.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:22 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:46 pm
No, I do not.

If he forms an exploratory committee or announces he's seeking the Libertarian Party nomination, THAT would be newsworthy.
Well, guess it's now newsworthy. Well, unless your expectations are that it would be covered by the Michigan press promptly...

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... ential-run

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:55 am

I still believe Justin has no chance of becoming President he will only get less than 1% of the vote just my opinion. I'd vote Mark Cuban if he decide to run for president as an independent as he is still thinking of running.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:35 pm

As MW mentioned a few weeks ago, I'd love to see some polling data on the 3rd Dist. race and in particular the Republican side. Anyone care to fill me in on how Peter Meijer is being received?

Rate This, (as our resident and beloved poll guru) you got anything?

[EDIT: Kind of an interesting recent interview from POLITICO with Amash: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... ump-225147]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic