Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Medical personnel aren’t heroes, they aren’t doing anything

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Rate This

Re: Medical personnel aren’t heroes, they aren’t doing anything

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:58 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:46 am
All of you who think medical personnel are superheroes need to get your head examined.

They’re not “fighting the virus.” They’re not “stopping the virus.” They AREN’T DOING ANYTHING!

Here’s what’s going on right now.

If someone has COVID-19 symptoms and they go to the hospital, they simply stay there. The medical staff may get them water, feed them, ask them if they’re comfortable, but there’s no cure, and no treatment.

The patient either recovers or dies and the medical staff had nothing to do with either outcome.

STOP PUTTING PEOPLE ON PEDESTALS THAT DO NOTHING!!!
On the other hand there are things they can do for supportive care and there are things they can try to do to save the person. The biggest thing they are doing is being selfless enough to risk infecting themselves to help the patients.

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:02 am

LL:

Even giving you every benefit of every doubt and trying to figure out the point that you are TRYING to make here, your assertions are still beyond insulting (and factually untrue). I agree that society has lately been putting medical personnel on pedestals, and it may be debatable whether that is appropriate or not, but your claim that they "do nothing" is something that I suspect every single person in the hospital being treated for Coronavirus would vehemently disagree with.

Motown322

Post by Motown322 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:50 am

bmw wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:02 am
LL:

Even giving you every benefit of every doubt and trying to figure out the point that you are TRYING to make here, your assertions are still beyond insulting (and factually untrue).
He's not trying to make any point at all... he's a fucking troll.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:41 am

I have been hearing for the last week or so that a lot of hospitals in large metropolitan areas are triaging older patients to a very low priority. So it's probably a matter of degree and semantics when they decide who lives and who dies. Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel, Rahm's brother, insinuated a while back that no one over 75 should be saved, in so many words.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/0 ... th-living/

This is the plan if and when they get expansion of Medicare, it will become nearly useless for senior citizens, because they "cost to much for their usefulness to society". I've been hearing this for even longer. People and so called "leaders" advocate late term and after birth abortion, euthanasia, and people we used to respect like Bill Gates want to cause a large decrease in world population. They have no traditional morality.

If they expand Social Security to lower ages, expect benefits to not keep with inflation at the very least, even decrease. Save for retirement, and protect your assets at all costs.

I suggest that you lose weight, exercise, use portion control with good tasting food, if you can't just eat vegetables and eat kale chips. Limit alcohol and drug use, including dangerous OTCs like Acetominophen. Quit Smoking. Cut your PRN anxiety medication pills in half if they still work reasonably well. If you don't use marijuana, now is not the time to start. Stay on heart, blood pressure, diabetes, etc. medications as directed. But keep monitoring everything you can, and consult with your physician over the phone if it might be possible to reduce dose. Losing weight is the biggest factor, other than tobacco use, of getting a handle on your health. You will likely soon be on your own to stay healthy.

Stay out and get out of high risk areas if and when you are able. What difference does it make if you go to a hospital in a large metro area if they triage you to the lowest priority? You would do better in rural areas if you can stay reasonably healthy.

I have seen hostility toward older people by younger people increase exponentially over the years. It starts on this board with advocating that all radio formats for people over 50 should be eliminated and then playing some of the most horrible music in its place. It ends with euthanasia for everyone above a certain age.
Last edited by TC Shuts Up on Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:47 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:40 am
Let me remind you:

There is no cure.

There is no treatment.

You either die or get better regardless of medical personnel. They freely admit it. It’s time the rest of us do too.
I partially agree. There are antibiotics that help with secondary infection, but being in the hospital itself probably isn't increasing your odds too much, in fact that they recycle medical supplies mean could be spreading things between patients. No thanks!

The medical workers are risking things anytime they are with an infectious patient, I think that deserves a lot respect, but it's what they signed up for too. I pray for them daily!

PS My cousin works for GE inspecting nuclear reactors. I think he is nuts, but it's what he signed up for...

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Let me remind you:

There is no cure.

There is no treatment.

You either die or get better regardless of medical personnel. They freely admit it. It’s time the rest of us do too.

So, when you get it, stay away from the hospital. Don't waste their time.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:26 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Let me remind you:

There is no cure.

There is no treatment.

Better yet, mainline some Lysol per Trump*'s advice.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:21 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:28 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
lovinlife101 wrote:
Let me remind you:

There is no cure.

There is no treatment.

BINGO!

No reason to infect anyone else, especially people that can’t and won’t help you.
This was a specific request made of you.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:05 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:45 pm
Rate This wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:21 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:28 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
lovinlife101 wrote:
Let me remind you:

There is no cure.

There is no treatment.

BINGO!

No reason to infect anyone else, especially people that can’t and won’t help you.
This was a specific request made of you.
Why would anyone want to run the risk of infecting medical personnel, especially since they can’t help anyway? What did they ever do to you?
That they can’t help in any way is bullshit. They can’t cure it but they can help.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:09 pm

Being hooked up to a ventilator by medical personnel has helped a lot of people make it through.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Medical professionals are still better than the glorified babysitters that have summers off.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:19 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:54 am
They’re not saving anyone’s life that has COVID-19. Either the patient lives or dies regardless of medical care.

Nearly everyone in NYC put on a ventilator died. So when General Motors tries to tell you “we’re saving lives because we’re making ventilators!” they’re lying.
Why do you think this?? There is plenty of evidence out there that various treatments do help folks survive this.

Most folks can fight this off on their own. Some folks however, either because of a suppressed or slow immune system response or because they received a large viral dose upon infection get to a point where the virus has established too much of a 'beachhead' in the body. Supporting the body's functions while the immune system does it's work is largely the responsibility of the medical staff.

They have many things at their disposal and they are learning a lot as we all go through this. At first it was thought that ventilators would be critical as one of the big issues is the virus blocking lung functions which results in a low blood oxygen level. In some cases a ventilator might help, but it also might cause more issues. Seems like 20-30% of the folks survive if they get to the stage of needing a ventilator. While it works for some folks, it's not for everyone.

There are other treatments too, like the ECMO process which was largely developed at the University of Michigan. It essentially replaces (or really assists) the lung function in oxygenating the blood and removing contaminates (CO2). It has been very successful with COVID treatments. There are also many pharma options, including the hydroxychloroquine (with some type of zinc) and Remdesivir and several other drugs that have shown quite a bit of promise. The big key is figuring out which folks should get which treatments and at which stage of progression.

The h u g e mistake we're making is not taking advantage of the medical facilities we have and allowing ANYONE with symptoms to be treated. We wait until it's almost too late to allow them in for treatment, and by then there's not a lot of time to figure things out before they go south.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:01 pm

km1125 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:19 pm
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:54 am
They’re not saving anyone’s life that has COVID-19. Either the patient lives or dies regardless of medical care.

Nearly everyone in NYC put on a ventilator died. So when General Motors tries to tell you “we’re saving lives because we’re making ventilators!” they’re lying.
Why do you think this?? There is plenty of evidence out there that various treatments do help folks survive this.

Most folks can fight this off on their own. Some folks however, either because of a suppressed or slow immune system response or because they received a large viral dose upon infection get to a point where the virus has established too much of a 'beachhead' in the body. Supporting the body's functions while the immune system does it's work is largely the responsibility of the medical staff.

They have many things at their disposal and they are learning a lot as we all go through this. At first it was thought that ventilators would be critical as one of the big issues is the virus blocking lung functions which results in a low blood oxygen level. In some cases a ventilator might help, but it also might cause more issues. Seems like 20-30% of the folks survive if they get to the stage of needing a ventilator. While it works for some folks, it's not for everyone.

There are other treatments too, like the ECMO process which was largely developed at the University of Michigan. It essentially replaces (or really assists) the lung function in oxygenating the blood and removing contaminates (CO2). It has been very successful with COVID treatments. There are also many pharma options, including the hydroxychloroquine (with some type of zinc) and Remdesivir and several other drugs that have shown quite a bit of promise. The big key is figuring out which folks should get which treatments and at which stage of progression.

The h u g e mistake we're making is not taking advantage of the medical facilities we have and allowing ANYONE with symptoms to be treated. We wait until it's almost too late to allow them in for treatment, and by then there's not a lot of time to figure things out before they go south.
Hold your horse on the Hydroxycloroquine:
The peer-reviewed Journal of the American Medical Association released a new study Friday that said researchers cut short a study testing chloroquine as a potential treatment for Covid-19 over safety concerns, citing a "primary outcome" of death. Nearly two dozen patients died and some developed irregular heart rates after taking doses of the drug daily.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:17 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:07 pm
Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:09 pm
Being hooked up to a ventilator by medical personnel has helped a lot of people make it through.
100% false.

88% of NYC COVID-19 patients on ventilators died. No evidence that the ones who survived did so because of the ventilators.

Please try again.
88%.

The remaining 12% would be grateful to the medical profession for saving their lives.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:12 pm

Perhaps, but it hasn't been determined if the remaining 12% were saved by the ventilator or not.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic