Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Former WLAV & WKLQ PD Dead From Covid 19

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
tannersboat

Former WLAV & WKLQ PD Dead From Covid 19

Post by tannersboat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:15 pm

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Former WLAV & WKLQ PD Dead From Covid 19

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:03 pm

The station he programmed in Charlotte (107.9 The Link) was losing very badly in the ratings to competitor K104.7.

Some things never change.

That said, I'm saddened to learn that he passed from COVID-19. Condolences to his past & present colleagues.

tc

Post by tc » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:30 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:03 pm
The station he programmed in Charlotte (107.9 The Link) was losing very badly in the ratings to competitor K104.7.

Maybe now's not the time.

SteveL

Post by SteveL » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:24 am

Sad to hear. Met him when KLQ bought LAV and he was always outgoing and professional.

Master Shake

Post by Master Shake » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:43 pm

tc wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:30 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Maybe now's not the time.
100% AGREE. I worked very, very briefly with Darin in Lansing in the mid-1990s, and he was well liked at that group of stations. The issues at WLAV AND WKLQ were so long ago that people really need to just get the fuck over it already.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:08 pm

No one seemed to have any issue of my very valid criticisms of his programming abilities when he was alive and IN TOWN. Sheeesh.

His lack of ratings success is the main reason his name appeared on the Buzzboard over a lengthy period. He will long be remembered here as a person who played a significant (albeit not the biggest) role in destroying a once great rock station.

Sorry, but I will never accept the notion that we should completely disregard one's misdeeds just because he or she has passed.

I will say Buzz 95 in Lansing sounded surprisingly good when he was PD there some 25 years ago.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:20 pm

He had other health issues too, but this so sad!

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:10 pm

Definitely a reminder that high risk groups need to be especially cautious until the COVID-19 contagion diminishes sharply.

Those with lung ailments, heart ailments, high blood pressure or diabetes need to be especially careful right now.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Thankfully I don't have any of those.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

tannersboat

Post by tannersboat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:46 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:08 pm
No one seemed to have any issue of my very valid criticisms of his programming abilities when he was alive and IN TOWN. Sheeesh.

His lack of ratings success is the main reason his name appeared on the Buzzboard over a lengthy period. He will long be remembered here as a person who played a significant (albeit not the biggest) role in destroying a once great rock station.
Interesting since he recently turned down a return to GR. Probably liked working with Hanlon so he turned down Bob Walker's offer to come back.

While you may not like his style, he was ten times as successful as the current team. Don't forget he locked down the Marconi and pulled revenue stronger than anyone since in that building.

RIP Darrin. :(

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:20 am

Give me a break! Talk about revisionist history. WLAV was already in GREAT shape when he was handed the reins. What you just wrote is a big crock of baloney and a big insult to the people who are truly responsible for LAV's long-term success (principally, Tony Gates).

The list of ratings books KLQ had in the 1's and 2's while he was OM/PD is a mile long. It was during his rein that WGRD saw its ratings surge. Jerry Tarrants is probably Darrin's biggest fan. Thanks in part to Darrin's incompetence at KLQ, WGRD soared.

He was also PD of WHTS for a brief time; the station did not sound good when he was running it.

Radio as a whole is down about 40% revenue wise compared to 15 years ago, so to say "well, revenue was a lot stronger when *he* was in the building" could be said about damn near any station or group of stations in the country when comparing today to the early/mid 00's.

After he left Michigan, didn't he first land at a classic rock station in Tucson? As I recall, that station had pretty crappy ratings, too, and trailed its chief competitor by a wide margin. I remember writing about it.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:30 pm

I’ll agree on one thing here - his initial programming of Buzz 95 was awesome! Great sounding station! When they became “Buzz Rock 95” and added classic rock acts like Led Zeppelin, they went downhill fast....

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:24 pm

I agree, we probably shouldn't be trashing a dead guy. Whether he was a good programmer or bad programmer really makes no difference now. I never met Darrin, never worked with him, nor ever listened much to his stations. I've worked with great guys who were lousy program directors. I've worked with assholes who were great programmers. Fortunately, I've also worked with some great people who were also great programmers. Darrin, may you RIP.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:24 pm

audiophile wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:16 pm
Thankfully I don't have any of those.
That's great, but please protect yourself for the rest of us who do have those health issues. Break the COVID chain.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:14 am

Within 3 months following his passing, WLNK's ratings skyrocketed - moved from low/mid 2's to the mid 3's, in line with WLNK's long-term average.

That would suggest Arriens did a really crappy job of programming the station.

Interestingly, WLNK (and its clustermates in Charlotte) were just sold to - Radio One! I would be surprised to see them dump WLNK's douche chill inducing Hot AC-ish format, though. That brand has been part of the Charlotte radio landscape for decades.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic