Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WWJ sounds great right now! Full 10 kHz analog bandwidth!

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

WWJ sounds great right now! Full 10 kHz analog bandwidth!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:29 am

I-BLOC has been off for a while, and until recently, analog bandwidth was still brickwalled at 5 kHz.

To my delight, this morning, WWJ is using a full 10 kHz!

The unsqueezed analog audio sounds BETTER than the decoded digital audio!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WWJ sounds great right now! Full 10 kHz analog bandwidth!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:46 am

I-BLOC is also off at AM 1270!

AM 1500, which used to restrict bandwidth to 5 kHz (but never implemented IBOC), also seems to be broadcasting in wideband now.

macgoldfan

Post by macgoldfan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:55 am

MWmetalhead wrote:I-BLOC has been off for a while, and until recently, analog bandwidth was still brickwalled at 5 kHz.

To my delight, this morning, WWJ is using a full 10 kHz!

The unsqueezed analog audio sounds BETTER than the decoded digital audio!!
Definitely better, I can actually pick up and listen to WWJ up here in South East St Clair county now without it fading in and out. I will try again after sun down and see I can still pick it up.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:01 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:46 am
I-BLOC is also off at AM 1270!

AM 1500, which used to restrict bandwidth to 5 kHz (but never implemented IBOC), also seems to be broadcasting in wideband now.
There was a certain engineer that believed that restricting bandwidth to shortwave standards (5 kHz) made a the station get out farther. I find no evidence of that in any modern processor under normal conditions. In some respects it's the opposite - a very bright AM station with music masks the noise floor. A lot depends on how the input AGC reacts. In digital FM Optimods anything above 6 kHz did not cause gain reduction, it was simply clipped and filtered. On AM with a 10 kHz cutoff I would imagine the cutoff for the AGC would 5 kHz. They can filter the 2nd and 3rd harmonic so there is no THD, only IMD. IMD 5 kHz+ region isn't that easy to hear. Try it in Cool Edit, modulate a 100 Hz with 10 kHz on top with 3 dB of clipping,

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:54 pm

I have a GE superradio that has a wide band AM for local high Quality reception, nice to hear music on AM that way (if any stations are still ldoing Music on AM ?) or I can switch to narrow IF for pulling out the weak DX from between stronger BIG stations.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:56 am

WJR is still so damn LOUD! Have to turn down the volume three clicks to avoid my eardrums being blown out.

AM 800 has the opposite issue. I have to turn up the volume higher than all other stations to get to a comfortable listening level.

Would be nice if the jackasses running these stations would fix these issues.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:06 am

Detroit area AM stations that mostly play music:
1310 (not sure that garbage can be called music)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:35 pm

Not sure how long ago it happened - but another AM station in Detroit has turned off its I-BLOC hiss machine! :)

AM 1340 WCHB is now solely broadcasting in analog. The audio chain sounds nice and clean, but I do not believe this station is using a full 10 kHz of bandwidth. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they are using about 6 kHz.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:09 pm

630 CFCO still lights up the (AM) "STEREO" indicator on my 2001 Chrysler Car Radio and sounds pretty decent on day pattern/power. I believe that WION is also in Stereo AM and 10KHz frequency response.

Captain Rock

Post by Captain Rock » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:48 pm

Today August 8, I was in the car listening to WWJ 950 and heard them constantly switching between analog and HD, and the HD indicator light was on. When I got home I tried my Sangean HDR-14 and found a solid HD signal on WWJ. HD on AM is not going away.

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:48 pm

Captain Rock wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:48 pm
Today August 8, I was in the car listening to WWJ 950 and heard them constantly switching between analog and HD, and the HD indicator light was on. When I got home I tried my Sangean HDR-14 and found a solid HD signal on WWJ. HD on AM is not going away.
People will be standing in line at their favorite electronics store to purchase HD Radio to hear AM in HD. FM will sound like outdated CD’s and AM will sound like FM. HD Radio is the future of radio. :rollin

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:29 pm

I thought it was just me having aural hallucinations. WWJ's board audio sounds like processed crap, like it had been before that brief foray into quality audio, and the hash-o-matic is hashing away again on either side of the 950 carrier. Add to that the glitchy IP audio from traffic and weather and it's just a sonic wonderland.
Aughh. Just f*ing stop already. :barf

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:38 am

Iniquity (left spell check alone) monitors these boards. What is rumored to happen is that when they read that some station has turned the hash maker off, they appear at the door like the mafia to "fix" it. Is there something contractual that requires them to keep running it? WJR and WABC have apparently figured out how to make turning it off stick. There's a rumor going around that some engineers have died trying to fix and maintain it, from health issues exacerbated by stress and frustration and lack of sleep.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:03 pm

They were a little slow this time. I really enjoyed the four and a half months where it was turned off! :)

Deleted User 15342

Post by Deleted User 15342 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:06 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:38 am
Iniquity (left spell check alone) monitors these boards. What is rumored to happen is that when they read that some station has turned the hash maker off, they appear at the door like the mafia to "fix" it. Is there something contractual that requires them to keep running it? WJR and WABC have apparently figured out how to make turning it off stick. There's a rumor going around that some engineers have died trying to fix and maintain it, from health issues exacerbated by stress and frustration and lack of sleep.
All for a technology no one wanted or asked for. The marketplace has moved on to true digital online and now Hybrid Digital is dead. Time to shut off at least the AM HD white noise makers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic