Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer expected to issue coronavirus ‘Stay at home’ order

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer expected to issue coronavirus ‘Stay at home’ order

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:08 am

Haven’t checked here in days due to avoiding sensationalist media (and thus no real reason to go to a broadcasting board). Whitmer should be recalled for this. What a way to crash the economy. Of course she will blame others because nothing is ever her fault. Sounds like her mentor Granholm.

I would gather petitions, but she banned that! How convenient...
Yeah, we should all trust fuzzpower as the "authority" on how to deal with COVID-19. :rolleyes

I needed to explain to him in detail why basketball games needed to be cancelled, but hey, everyone else here should trust his instincts!

Prior to the NBA season being postponed, multiple NBA players & staffers contracted the virus (only one case was disclosed at the time, Rudy Gobert of the Jazz). A FS Detroit employee is now in the hospital in a fucking coma because he worked the Pistons / Jazz game.

Yet, he wants life to continue as normal because HE (apparently) is inconvenienced.

What a selfish dipstick!!

I completely recognize that businesses are suffering. It's a very unfortunate side effect of the emergency orders that have been declared. Could exemptions have been broadened? Probably, in some instances. However, on the whole, our Governor (and many others) have the right idea here.

If & when the Stimulus Bill that fuzzpower steadfastly opposes on strictly ideological grounds passes, harmed business owners will receive badly needed relief.
Both were way beyond capacity back in January, with flu patients. There were NO BEDS at Beaumont Troy, and patients were forced to stay in the ER. This went on for at least three weeks. I guess your media pals were out to lunch on that one.
Excellent point, Realist. The media often doesn't report negative news involving major health systems in the region, or when they do, it's reported on in de-emphasized fashion. They LOVE those advertising dollars!

I do agree that the numbers are underreported given scarcity of testing + many likely COVID-19 bearers choosing to self-quarantine without being tested.

km1125

Re: Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer expected to issue coronavirus ‘Stay at home’ order

Post by km1125 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:27 am

Rate This wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:57 pm
audiophile wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:34 pm
I think a far effective thing would be to require every one in a business to wear a homemade mask and gloves. They can be made cotton T-shirts and cotton pillowcases.

No civil liberty issues, no killing the economy.
They’ve been saying for sometime that a mask isn’t effective at preventing it.
Lots of people have been saying lots of things that are totally incorrect!!

No mask is 100% effective, but any mask reduces your chances of contracting the illness from airborne particles. The better the mask and the better the fitting, the better the chances that you won't contract it. Even the simplest scarf over your nose and mouth may reduce your chances by 50%

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:38 pm

MW, tell me why nothing or very little was done during the Hong Kong flu of the late 60s? Life went on.

Sorry, I believe in civil and economic liberties. I don’t think a very small percentage of people dying should get in the way of that. What Gov Barbie is doing is North Korea like.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:45 pm

I wasn't alive in the late 60's. I like to believe those in power and those with decision making authority use info gathered from prior events to help aid in decision making when future events of a similar nature arise.
s. I don’t think a very small percentage of people dying should get in the way of that.
You clearly are not pro-life, I presume?

Sorry, but loss of human life potentially in the hundreds of thousands if we were to continue life as normal is more to me than an immaterial rounding error.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:09 pm

So what about the flu? Car accidents? Plane crashes? Other diseases? Should we just ban everything forever? No thanks. You have to live life, otherwise you are just existing.

I wasn’t around in the late 60s either. I talked to people who were, along with doing research.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:18 pm

No one forces anyone to get behind the wheel of the car or to be a passenger in one (unless you are a child). As a motorist, assuming you remain alert, you can see what is coming!

The odds of fatality from a plane crash are a mere fraction of the odds of dying from COVID-19.

We have a vaccine for the common flu. People who contract influenza are not asymptomatic (yet contagious) for up to two week as is the case with COVID-19. They can self-quarantine more readily. Most flu patients do not require hospitalization. Hospitals have been treating flu patients for decades and as such are better prepared for it. It does not spread as quickly as COVID-19, either.

The goal isn't to eradicate COVID-19; the goal is to "flatten the curve" so that its proliferation slows and ultimately infects fewer people.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:25 pm

That’s under the assumption the flu vaccine works. From my experience, it doesn’t. In fact, the one year I had the vaccine, I had the flu not long after. The times I didn’t get one? No flu, at least from my teens onward.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 pm

The flu vaccine unfortunately does not capture all possible strains in a given year.

Also, it takes about two weeks for the antibodies in the vaccine to effectively safeguard you.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-f ... -effective

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

MW, I know you like a good battle, but you're fighting an idiot. He's another King Chuck.

Stick to people with valid perspectives, even the misguided ones.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:46 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 pm
The flu vaccine unfortunately does not capture all possible strains in a given year.

Also, it takes about two weeks for the antibodies in the vaccine to effectively safeguard you.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-f ... -effective
I've never had a flu shot, and I haven't tossed my cookies since 1987.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:51 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm
MW, I know you like a good battle, but you're fighting an idiot. He's another King Chuck.

Yeah, liberals like King Chuck are incredibly stupid.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Matt wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:51 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 pm

Yeah, liberals like King Chuck are incredibly stupid.
He wasn't much of anything politically.
Last edited by TC Talks on Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 pm

You forgot because you agreed with it.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:00 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 pm
You forgot because you agreed with it.
So you are lockstep with Fuzz here?

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Fuzz who?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic