Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Will history repeat itself? (Network switch)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 7620

Will history repeat itself? (Network switch)

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:59 pm

As we know, last December 11th marked the 25th Anniversary of the big network switch, where longtime CBS affiliate WJBK became Fox, and CBS went to the downtrodden WGPR-TV (now WWJ-TV). Detroit television has not been the same since

Fox’s ratings went up dramatically in Detroit, and CBS’ ratings in Detroit dropped drastically, and never really recovered.

With that said, do you see anything like this happening again?

The only thing that can cause a drastic shift in local television like this again, is if Fox were to lose the rights to the NFL/NFC, or if the NFC went back to CBS. If that happens, we will either see Fox selling stations in NFC markets, and/or CBS buying those stations, and selling WWJ/WKBD. In other words, something crazy could happen like CBS buying WJBK, thus making WJBK a CBS owned and operated station, marking the station’s return to CBS. Or, we could see Fox go to WDIV, and NBC going to a station like 20 or 38. I know it sounds crazy, but no one ever thought 1994 would happen, and it did. Since WDIV seems to be in favor of showing less network programming, I can it dumping NBC for Fox.

Crazy, yes, but anything is possible.

CK-722

Re: Will history repeat itself? (Network switch)

Post by CK-722 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:50 am

With all but one station operating on UHF, there is not nearly the advantage that there was of having Channel 2 over Channel 50. ALL stations have substantially less over the air de facto service than their analog facilities. So I can't see there being much point in switching now.

Though they found a way to increase resolution and make a signal clear until it reaches the terrain and earth curvature and digital cliff, they will NEVER be able to make UHF signals bend over hills, and that was a big advantage of physical Channel 2.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:44 am

I have little trouble with 2 (RF 7) and 12 reception.

I have an older antenna and rotator. UHF's require prefect antenna aiming.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:49 am

Sounds like your antenna doesn't have good Hi VHF elements (RF 7-13).

As for network switching I don't see the point now that channel numbers are virtual, Fox switched channels because it didn't want it's stations out in the UHF range, they wanted to be in the VHF range with the other major networks. Now the only reason to switch is to get a better tower and power to increase range. But it seems like many are cutting power and don't really care if they reach out to the more distant communities.

The only reason that stations keep the older number is branding, but honestly most could drop the channel number from the branding and not many would notice.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:47 am

UHF's are more problematic. I can't get WNEM since the switch to UHF.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:22 pm

2 has a news department, 50 doesn’t (well, not really). That’s a big deal.

No way 38 affiliates with a major network unless Adell sells. 20 is unlikely unless they are sold, due to duopoly rules. A few years ago, 20 could have been in play.

tigerwings

Post by tigerwings » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Only if ABC were to buy WDIV.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:02 pm

tigerwings wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:17 pm
Only if ABC were to buy WDIV.
That would be insane.

If WXYZ were to lose its ABC affiliation, man.

I’ve always said that ABC wants to own a station in the Detroit market again. Anything is possible.

This would mean Fox, CBS, the CW, and ABC all will have owned and operated stations in the Detroit market, if that were to ever take place. As I said, I guess anything is possible.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:47 pm

I don't see ABC buying any more TV stations as Disney doesn't seem to buy a broadcast TV station.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:00 am

I’ve always said that ABC wants to own a station in the Detroit market again. Anything is possible.
That might be what you've "always said," but it's completely separated from reality.

It has been decades since ABC has last purchased a TV station to make it O & O.

Detroit is barely in the top 15 in terms of Nielsen DMA rank, and over time its ranking will keep falling. National media companies are not terribly preoccupied with a rust belt market whose population is stagnant, whose Nielsen DMA rank keeps falling, and whose consumer spending is outpaced by numerous other markets across the country.

Scripps would have to throw ABC out on its ass for there to be any chance of an ABC O & O situation in Detroit, and let me tell you, Scripps needs ABC much more badly than ABC needs Scripps.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:11 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:00 am
That might be what you've "always said," but it's completely separated from reality.

Detroit is barely in the top 15 in terms of Nielsen DMA rank, and over time its ranking will keep falling. National media companies are not terribly preoccupied with a rust belt market whose population is stagnant, whose Nielsen DMA rank keeps falling, and whose consumer spending is outpaced by numerous other markets across the country.

Scripps would have to throw ABC out on its ass for there to be any chance of an ABC O & O situation in Detroit, and let me tell you, Scripps needs ABC much more badly than ABC needs Scripps.
The only 2 purchases ABC has ever made were the stations in Toledo and Flint as a part of the network shuffle in 1994 as a matter of fact. And they sold those off already. KFSN, WTVD and WPVI were all owned by Capital Cities when it bought ABC in 1986. So barring them suddenly losing 7 for some reason it’ll never happen.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:03 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:00 am

Detroit is 14 out of 212 television markers. It’s a major television market still, and Detroit is still a major city.

Anything is possible.

Detroit is already home to three major network owned stations (I.e., Fox, CBS, the CW).

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:46 pm

Fox wanted to upgrade from WKBD and be on VHF, and the only way they could accomplish that was by purchasing one of the big three (WJBK, WDIV or WXYZ).

CBS bought a station here out of necessity. WXYZ (via Scripps) inked a long-term affiliation deal with ABC, WDIV had absolute zero interest in leaving NBC, and WXON & WADL were either uninterested or demanded terms CBS that deemed unreasonable.

It would take a Nexstar / Tribune type deal or a financial catastrophe at Scripps for WXYZ to ever be put on the block for the sale. That is the *only* scenario where I could imagine WXYZ ever falling into ABC's hands.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:32 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:46 pm
Fox wanted to upgrade from WKBD and be on VHF, and the only way they could accomplish that was by purchasing one of the big three (WJBK, WDIV or WXYZ).

CBS bought a station here out of necessity. WXYZ (via Scripps) inked a long-term affiliation deal with ABC, WDIV had absolute zero interest in leaving NBC, and WXON & WADL were either uninterested or demanded terms CBS that deemed unreasonable.

It would take a Nexstar / Tribune type deal or a financial catastrophe at Scripps for WXYZ to ever be put on the block for the sale. That is the *only* scenario where I could imagine WXYZ ever falling into ABC's hands.

Truthfully, we were talking about that crazy possibility of WDIV losing it’s NBC affiliation and being bought by ABC. Scripps seems to be doing great but I’m not sure how well Graham is doing. I know, it’s crazy but I’ve seen crazy things happen in thr world of television.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:17 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:32 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:46 pm
Truthfully, we were talking about that crazy possibility of WDIV losing it’s NBC affiliation and being bought by ABC. Scripps seems to be doing great but I’m not sure how well Graham is doing. I know, it’s crazy but I’ve seen crazy things happen in thr world of television.
Couldn't ABC simply buy back WXYZ? Or even buy WDIV and swap it with WXYZ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic