Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Reports say John Beilein is likely toast in Cleveland...

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Reports say John Beilein is likely toast in Cleveland...

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:56 am

The Cavs have crap for player personnel, but my goodness, when they lose - they lose BIG.

Nearly all of their losses this season have been by 15 points or more.

I wonder if Mr. Beilein regrets leaving Ann Arbor? He should've never accepted a job from a SPARTAN!

ESPN story states the following:
Friends and associates of Beilein have described him as unhappy -- even miserable -- with the move to the Cavaliers.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/te ... /2020.html

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/287 ... pping-down

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sport ... 782786002/

(How nice; the Detroit News article misspells his last name.)

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

moldyoldie

Re: Reports say John Beilein is likely toast in Cleveland...

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:39 am

Well, that was fast. :shock: :? So much for teaching Drummond a few things. :razz

Would he still be entitled to the remainder of his five-year contract? Would it hinge on if Beilein quit, was fired, or accepted another position? I'm guessing some sort of exit agreement would be reached.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:09 pm

WKNR 850 has been talking about this most of the day (that, and Myles Garrett/Mason Rudolph).They think he’s gone by the end of the day. It sounds like it would be his decision, so I would assume he wouldn’t get paid, unless there is a buyout.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Michigan probably would have a couple more wins to its credit in conference play right now had he not left.

The way the Big Ten season has gone, a couple extra wins would have made a gigantic difference!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Matt

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:31 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:23 pm
Michigan probably would have a couple more wins to its credit in conference play right now had he not left.

The way the Big Ten season has gone, a couple extra wins would have made a gigantic difference!
Would they also have won all the games they won early in the season, including giving Gonzaga it's only loss so far? Would a Beilein team have weathered the Livers injury or would they have developed Davis? Would Beilein be absolutely killing it in recruiting? I personally think Michigan lucked out, since Beilein was out of gas. The nature of his departure put him in no position to pick his successor, although he did endorse the Juwan hire. We could have had another Lloyd situation, but thankfully we do not.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 am

He's been let go. I just saw it on the ESPN crawl.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:45 am

Can't say I'm surprised or care.
The list of college coaches who fail in the NBA is a lot bigger than those who find any success. For one they usually go to bad teams and the whole culture is different.

I no longer directly engage trolls

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:06 am

Would they also have won all the games they won early in the season, including giving Gonzaga it's only loss so far? Would a Beilein team have weathered the Livers injury or would they have developed Davis? Would Beilein be absolutely killing it in recruiting? I personally think Michigan lucked out, since Beilein was out of gas. The nature of his departure put him in no position to pick his successor, although he did endorse the Juwan hire. We could have had another Lloyd situation, but thankfully we do not.
The team over Beilein's last five seasons in Ann Arbor played with greater defensive intensity overall than what I've seen this season. Way too early to judge Howard's player development skills.

Was Beilein out of gas when he made the decision to coach in the pros? I'm not so sure I buy that, even though it is mentioned in Tony Paul's article. The NBA isn't generally a hospitable place for someone who is "out of gas." Irrespective of the "out of gas" angle, his recent health issues do raise some questions.

Among the available options, I will say Juwan Howard would've been the guy I would've chosen.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:19 am

sfpcc wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:36 am
He's been let go. I just saw it on the ESPN crawl.
Here's the Cav's press release:

https://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/ ... gns-200219

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:58 pm

The Cavs are a dumpster fire of an org without LeBron James Dan Gibert doesn't know how to run a team who would want to coach the Cavs. All the best to John Beilein which I wouldn't be surprised if he coaches in the college ranks again maybe help his son as well.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:44 am

Tin Foil Hat time ......
MSU grad Dan Gilbert didn't hire Beilein to coach the Cavs he hired him to stop coaching Michigan. Mission accomplished. 😁

I no longer directly engage trolls

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:11 am

craig11152 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:44 am
Tin Foil Hat time ......
MSU grad Dan Gilbert didn't hire Beilein to coach the Cavs he hired him to stop coaching Michigan. Mission accomplished. 😁
Not really, seeing that Beilein was Izzo's doormat last season. Be sure to recycle/reuse that tin foil. :mrgreen:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:02 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Tin Foil Hat time ......
I think if that's the case, he's going to regret that decision...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:12 pm

Matt wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:02 pm
craig11152 wrote:
Tin Foil Hat time ......
I think if that's the case, he's going to regret that decision...
Why? Because Juwan can’t win?

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:33 pm

What are you even talking about? Juwan is doing very well and is bringing in one of the best classes in the country.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic