Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Under representation in TV news

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
LocalTVobserver

Under representation in TV news

Post by LocalTVobserver » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:06 pm

At the risk of offending the celebs and their fans, as well as the #metoo movement, which is NOT my intention with this post, but I'm going to tell it like it is. The idea that somehow women and minorities are underrepresented in local TV news is becoming more mythical as time goes by. Just take a look at local station webpages that present the bios of their news teams and one thing is clear: women are the majority in on-air positions. Those who are underrepresented are white males. Again, I am not speaking as a sexist white male. However, I am an experienced white man who's heard more than once in my TV news career when openings occur for advancement; "We need a woman on our team. We need strength in the field! And you know, we'd be interested in having you work with our hire to help her along. She really doesn't have much experience (or more and more commonly NO EXPERIENCE! Like the beauty queen without any journalistic cred in Charleston, SC)." Sorry! I haven't put as much time as I have in the TV news business to help train and eventually advance a woman who was hired because she looks good or has been compensated in areas to compensate for brains or common sense and any journalistic qualifications. You may say: "Well TV has to make up for past sexism!" To you, I would simply reply what do you call hiring inexperienced people for their gender and passing over well qualified white men? I would dare to call THAT gender discrimination. Sorry if some of you find this offensive. But it's time this was said publicly. And for the record, I was APPALLED by the comments donny twatgrabber made during the 2016 campaign. THAT TYPE OF TREATMENT OR ATTITUDE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY ANYONE!

km1125

Re: Under representation in TV news

Post by km1125 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:48 pm

You're right... ALL"minorities" are visibly over-represented on TV because it's not the facts that matter, it's the appearance.

What "donny" said in that old video (that was only made public in 2016 for purely political advantage, btw) was 100% true. Listen to the whole quote. There are plenty of folks - "sluts" if you will - that will let you do anything if you are rich and/or famous. Sure, they might regret it later, but in the "heat" of the moment, they are all game and are playing with all their assets and fully know what they are doing.

The fact you're bothered by that quote means the folks played you well when they released it.

Deleted User 3751

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:12 pm

I don't know if I could prove it in court, but I would call it over 50 disease, and it's not only happening in the broadcast business. I know seasoned pros in other businesses that have been replaced with younger less expensive candidates. The days of an authoritative anchors like Bill Bonds, Mort Crim and the like is over. I haven't watched local NEWS in years because in my eyes it's garbage. One other thing that has turned me off, is entertainment stories on local NEWS. Those stories belong on Entertainment Tonight as an example. What does a story about a Hollywood actor have anything to do with local NEWS? It's filler as far as I can see. There is so much more that could be covered covered locally besides where the last shooting was that have impact in our surround communities, but instead you can do a reader, or a video clip from a national source on Hollywood bullshit. It's a lot cheaper for a company to do that instead of paying more to hire additional reporters to dig deeper in what is going around us. If you look at trends, NEWS ratings have been on a downward decline. Why should I look at the crap that is dished out on local TV when I now have many other resources to get information in this age of tech. This response is only from what I see. I'm sure there are others out there that can share their thoughts.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:53 pm
Transsexual clowns who identify as flowers are severely underrepresented.
I'm sure if you apply you have a shot, don't give up on your dreams.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:14 pm

LocalTVobserver wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:06 pm
At the risk of offending the celebs and their fans, as well as the #metoo movement, which is NOT my intention with this post, but I'm going to tell it like it is. The idea that somehow women and minorities are underrepresented in local TV news is becoming more mythical as time goes by. Just take a look at local station webpages that present the bios of their news teams and one thing is clear: women are the majority in on-air positions. Those who are underrepresented are white males. Again, I am not speaking as a sexist white male. However, I am an experienced white man who's heard more than once in my TV news career when openings occur for advancement; "We need a woman on our team. We need strength in the field! And you know, we'd be interested in having you work with our hire to help her along. She really doesn't have much experience (or more and more commonly NO EXPERIENCE! Like the beauty queen without any journalistic cred in Charleston, SC)." Sorry! I haven't put as much time as I have in the TV news business to help train and eventually advance a woman who was hired because she looks good or has been compensated in areas to compensate for brains or common sense and any journalistic qualifications. You may say: "Well TV has to make up for past sexism!" To you, I would simply reply what do you call hiring inexperienced people for their gender and passing over well qualified white men? I would dare to call THAT gender discrimination. Sorry if some of you find this offensive. But it's time this was said publicly. And for the record, I was APPALLED by the comments donny twatgrabber made during the 2016 campaign. THAT TYPE OF TREATMENT OR ATTITUDE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY ANYONE!
Everybody's looking for an advantage, and right now, that's a way for a certain segment of the population to get an advantage. Many changes resulted from Women's Lib in the early 1970s, and also from the Clarence Thomas hearings in the early 1990s. But nobody talks about that anymore. I'm sure a good trial lawyer could tell you how important it is to use every trick in the book to get an advantage.

jsf

Post by jsf » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:52 pm

Hispanics are 17% of population and African Americans are 13%, why don't I see more Hispanic news anchors?

Editorcj

Post by Editorcj » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm

Hispanics are 17% of population and African Americans are 13%, why don't I see more Hispanic news anchors?
Because you don't live in Texas, California or Miami. I would hope the local stations would attempt to recruit Yanet Garcia for weather caster.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic