Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

"We cannot play two females back-to-back"

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Deleted User 24

"We cannot play two females back-to-back"

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Monday won't be happy at 2000 Whittier St.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/enter ... 510833002/

audiophile

Re: "We cannot play two females back-to-back"

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Anybody that gets up in arms about this has never been to an auditorium music test or reviewed the results.

What's next, anger from barbershop quartets, that they don't get played back to back?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:36 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:08 pm
Anybody that gets up in arms about this has never been to an auditorium music test or reviewed the results.
Which is exactly the point.

It's terrible optics for the company. The people who read the story are the people you want to be your listeners. They don't give a shit about auditorium tests. They just know this makes you out to be something they don't like -- even if you aren't what they think you are.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:47 pm

I agree it shouldn't have been posted.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Good reaction by 94.5 The Moose; they did female artist twofers on Friday. :)

Not sure if they took any shots at KCQ or "that other country station" on the air, though.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:07 pm

Definitely an upsurp move.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:51 am

Maybe it's just me, but I'm more concerned about the music not being country than about not hearing two female artists back to back. A female twofer means nothing to me if it's two purely pop artists masquerading as country like Kelsea Ballerini into Maren Morris (who apparently thinks she's the country version of Beyonce or Rihanna). I'd much rather hear a twofer from male acts whose music is still recognizable as country, i.e. Luke Combs into Jon Pardi.

For the record, the only time I can bear to listen to KCQ is the Sunday night classics show.

Yeah, I know, I'll tell the kids to get off my lawn tomorrow.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:07 am

I don't believe there's a radio station claiming to be a country station playing country music anymore. Turn into wnmc in Traverse City right now. From 10 to noon every Sunday they play the original country music and it doesn't sound anything like the crap that country stations play today.

I do think it's nice that you choose to blame Kasey for the decades-long demise of this format.

As for the station policy, I don't think it's a big deal because 98% of her fans don't own a radio nor do they listen to one so it's really a non-issue.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

option1

Post by option1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:10 am

Maybe I’m just over thinking this. How ‘bout pick a target demo and play the hits.

Scheduling rules from the 70’s just don’t apply anymore. There are reasons TSL is down across all formats. Streaming, satellite radio, and podcasts or digital audiobooks are our competition. If we continue to devolve instead of evolve and apply outdated rules, the numbers will continue to decline. I’ve sat in meetings where AE’s were told to ignore TSL and sell CUME. It’s rough out there.

Radio has become a quarter-hour medium; that’s all we have them for. If we don’t think like a typical listener and instead think like a robotic programmer it won’t get better.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:53 pm

Well stated! :)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:59 pm

I think there's at least a 50/50 chance the original tweet came from the PD of 98 KCQ himself, despite his claim of "needing to investigate" the source of the tweet.

http://www.insideradio.com/free/country ... d2710.html

http://www.cmt.com/news/1816671/this-te ... n-twitter/

https://tasteofcountry.com/kelsea-balle ... ts-policy/

If there is no such policy in place at 98 KCQ, then the station should very easily be able to tell all parties concerned - by looking at music log history - the last time the station played two artists with female vocalists back-to-back.

The fact the station is unable to cite such an example suggests to me they are telling complete lies to those criticizing them!

KCQ has told tall tales before. I remember calling them out a few years ago for grossly inflating attendance figures for KCQ Fest.

Although there has been plenty of attention from country music circles, the one potentially bit of good news for KCQ? There are no more than twenty critical / skeptical posts to the station's Facebook wall. That's a very low number for a station with such large listenership.

There are a lot of things about 98KCQ to like. They're one of the best country stations in Michigan from a programming standpoint and feature a ton of live & local on-air talent. However, I think their response to this situation could've been much, much better.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:00 pm

I'll be damned - the Tweet evidently came from Barb, the morning show co-host.

She stated to VICE that the station will not play two female artists back-to-back. I absolutely believe she was telling the truth and was not bluffing! The OM/PD (Brian Hatfield) then entered into the conversation and (IMO) basically lied to VICE, claiming the station has no such restriction when it comes to music scheduling.

When asked by VICE to provide just one example of a time 98 KCQ played two females back-to-back, Brian Hatfield went "radio silent." :lol He came up empty.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74d ... rimination

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:32 pm

I don’t listen to country music, both the “real” country music that’s now considered classic country, nor the bro-country crap on today’s country radio (which 1/2 the time sounds like wanna be rockers that aren’t good enough to be in that genre). But think about it - how many times do you hear back to back female artists on classic rock or active rock stations?

BeerMan

Post by BeerMan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:34 am

Keep in mind this is the same station who's music director created a similar controversy by equating female artists to tomatoes.
http://www.cmt.com/news/1754800/men-are ... -tomatoes/

The current dust up wouldn't surprise me if Keith was still working for them or if Greg Cole were still PD/OM but with Brian at the helm know I am disappointed that he didn't grab them by the lapels and forcefully yank them into the 21st century.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Well, this thread takes me back. I remember once being told this by a long-time programmer in rock radio, so it was a male-dominated format. Almost said word for word, also. I wonder why that was ever a rule to begin with and coined it first. Idc who the artist is, if it's a good song, it's a good song. Heart into Benatar isn't gonna cause me to punch my dial and never come back.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic