Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

DISGUSTING move by Senators Stabenow and Peters

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues in the State of Michigan. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Deleted User 4520

Re: DISGUSTING move by Senators Stabenow and Peters

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:08 pm

Stab-me-now has always been disgusting.

MisterT

Post by MisterT » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:09 pm
Ya know, I was not ruling out the possibility of casting a vote for Gary Peters this coming November. Now, that door has been slammed completely shut.

Detroit News headline:
"Senators 'block' nomination of Trump pick for U.S. attorney in western Mich."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 817028001/

Tom Leonard served admirably in the Michigan State Legislature. He was a strong voice for victims of sexual abuse at Michigan State University. He was a strong advocate for sorely needed auto insurance reform (unfortunately, during his time in the State House, too many members of his own party refused to go along). He received letters of recommendation in favor of his nomination from two very prominent Democrats - Mark Hackel and Mike Duggan.

However, because Senators Stabenow and Peters apparently are more interested in playing petty politics than providing good representation to the residents of Michigan, for no apparent reason, they have refused to move President Trump's nomination of Tom Leonard to the U.S. District Attorney post for Western Michigan.

Stabenow cited "deep policy differences" with Leonard but failed to elaborate.

Leonard was hardly a polarizing figure during his time in Lansing. He was quite pragmatic, in fact.

So guess what, Gary? There is now ZERO chance of me voting for your reelection! Congrats.
Did you have the same outrage when Bitch McConnell blocked the majority of President Obama's judicial nominees? Tell me how John James would be any better for our state. Stabenow has a very important committee assignment and has been able to get a lot of critical funds for our state during desperate times. Peters is a very measured and moderate dem, they both are actually. Peters also is a veteran. They both are pretty tame in my opinion and I would still vote for them despite their objections to a judicial appointment. We all know if the tables were turned, a hypothetical set of GOP senator's would utilize the same parliamentary procedure to block a dem president's nominee. Please try to convince me that the GOP senators would somehow take the moral higher ground. Does the name Merrick Garland ring a bell at all?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:46 pm

Actually, I did indeed criticize McConnell when he refused to hold hearings for the nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court.
They both are pretty tame in my opinion and I would still vote for them despite their objections to a judicial appointment. We all know if the tables were turned, a hypothetical set of GOP senator's would utilize the same parliamentary procedure to block a dem president's nominee. Please try to convince me that the GOP senators would somehow take the moral higher ground.
We're talking about a District Attorney position being kept vacant on the sole basis of one's political affiliation. Not extreme political positions. Not questionable past conduct. One's political party affiliation.

Those knowledgeable on such matters - including some Democrats - are surprised by the extreme behavior of Peters and Stabenow here. Hardly the actions of someone who is "moderate."

What happens if Trump is reelected? Will Peters and Stabenow keep the post vacant for four more years...assuming they both remain in office?

Replacing Peters with John James solves the problem!

Paul Woods reminds me a bit of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets when he speaks!

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:40 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:46 pm
Actually, I did indeed criticize McConnell when he refused to hold hearings for the nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court.
They both are pretty tame in my opinion and I would still vote for them despite their objections to a judicial appointment. We all know if the tables were turned, a hypothetical set of GOP senator's would utilize the same parliamentary procedure to block a dem president's nominee. Please try to convince me that the GOP senators would somehow take the moral higher ground.
We're talking about a District Attorney position being kept vacant on the sole basis of one's political affiliation. Not extreme political positions. Not questionable past conduct. One's political party affiliation.

Those knowledgeable on such matters - including some Democrats - are surprised by the extreme behavior of Peters and Stabenow here. Hardly the actions of someone who is "moderate."

What happens if Trump is reelected? Will Peters and Stabenow keep the post vacant for four more years...assuming they both remain in office?

Replacing Peters with John James solves the problem!
It’s unlikely a retread candidate will knock off a sitting senator with the wind blowing the other way... especially when sitting senators have a 90% re-election rate... he couldn’t even come closer than 5 or 6 points last time!

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:06 pm

Yeah, Tom Leonard should be U.S. Attorney for West Michigan shameful that both are holding it hostage so he can't be U.S. Attorney for West Michigan. I'm going to vote John James in the Primary and vote for him in Nov and hope he'll beat Gary Peters in Nov. I was glad that Debbie Stabenow got a little scare last election and didn't win in a landslide only winning by 5 or 6% of the vote.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:44 pm

MasterB wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:06 pm
Yeah, Tom Leonard should be U.S. Attorney for West Michigan shameful that both are holding it hostage so he can't be U.S. Attorney for West Michigan. I'm going to vote John James in the Primary and vote for him in Nov and hope he'll beat Gary Peters in Nov. I was glad that Debbie Stabenow got a little scare last election and didn't win in a landslide only winning by 5 or 6% of the vote.
5-6 is a pretty comfortable margin. If he can’t come closer than that why would anybody give a relatively weak candidate a second chance? Is he the second coming of Adlai Stevenson or something?

MisterT

Post by MisterT » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:33 am

Lol, I'd love for everyone claiming John James would somehow help our state more to explain his qualifications for office. Once again, we know if the tables were turned two gop senators would block the nomination of a dem appointee and I'm sure none of you would complain.

Again, you're supporting the same GOP senate caucus that refused to allow President Obama to nominate Merick Garland.

Being a single issue voter is stupid.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:44 pm
MasterB wrote:
5-6 is a pretty comfortable margin. If he can’t come closer than that why would anybody give a relatively weak candidate a second chance? Is he the second coming of Adlai Stevenson or something?
John James isn't weak he is a rising star in the GOP and I believe he can beat Gary Peters. 5 to 6 isn't a comfortable margin when Debbie was going to win by 15 or more she underperformed big time in 2018. Only local races 5 or 6 points is a comfortable margin.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:20 am

MasterB wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:32 pm
Rate This wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:44 pm
MasterB wrote:
John James isn't weak he is a rising star in the GOP and I believe he can beat Gary Peters. 5 to 6 isn't a comfortable margin when Debbie was going to win by 15 or more she underperformed big time in 2018. Only local races 5 or 6 points is a comfortable margin.
She was never going to win by 15... but 5-7 is about exactly where she was gonna be. John James couldn’t beat her in 2018... where are the voters that are magically going to pick James on a second go round gonna come from?

MisterT

Post by MisterT » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:12 pm

No one has any idea who John James is and they didn't when he ran the first time. He preformed horribly, had SWASTICAS in his campaign ads and he's simply being thrust to a position he has no qualifications for because of his race I'm sorry to say. GOP seems to think a black candidate will be their golden ticket. Keep trying y'all, we ain't that dumb.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:07 am

MisterT wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:12 pm
No one has any idea who John James is and they didn't when he ran the first time. He preformed horribly, had SWASTICAS in his campaign ads and he's simply being thrust to a position he has no qualifications for because of his race I'm sorry to say. GOP seems to think a black candidate will be their golden ticket. Keep trying y'all, we ain't that dumb.
John James performed quite well and not horribly people know who John James is now than the first time around. It was about history and John service in the military I thought nothing of the swasticas in the ad as that was much ado about nothing.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:32 am

MasterB wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:07 am
MisterT wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:12 pm
John James performed quite well and not horribly people know who John James is now than the first time around. It was about history and John service in the military I thought nothing of the swasticas in the ad as that was much ado about nothing.
He lost by 6 in a state Trump barely won... he’s down 6 to Peters in the latest polling... not seeing the upside here...

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:13 pm

Peters is far more beatable than Stabenow. Polling means little this early in the game.

Rate This

Post by Rate This » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:08 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:13 pm
Peters is far more beatable than Stabenow. Polling means little this early in the game.
So excuses for why he lost once and is in the exact same position a second time?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:04 pm

Stabenow is a stronger candidate and he was closer than many thought, including myself. I don’t even consider polls until July.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic