Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nielsen audio ratings roundup: WLAV's ratings are at multi-decade RECORD LOW levels! WTNR remains a dumpster fire!

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Nielsen audio ratings roundup: WLAV's ratings are at multi-decade RECORD LOW levels! WTNR remains a dumpster fire!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:37 am

Grand Rapids:
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb127

Muskegon:
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb566

Kalamazoo:
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb251

Battle Creek:
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb531

Summary / Commentary:
- WLAV just scored its WORST RATINGS in the multi decade history of the rock/classic rock format on 96.9 FM. Congratulations, Bob Walker, Bruce Law, and Lori Bennett. You just FUCKED UP one of the most revered classic rock brands in the midwestern United States!
- WGRD was the primary beneficiary of WLAV's horrible programming. Would not shock me if 94.5 is siphoning some minor numbers from LAV, too. That said, I certainly think WLAV's worst enemy is itself.
- Someone from Cumulus finally woke up and contacted Nielsen about the non-listing of WKLQ-FM. The numbers are now published. They are ho-hum. I predicted upon launch the station would probably be in the low 2's in ages 12+. Right now, that's exactly what the station is earning.
- Thunder 107.3 remains a total dumpster fire, continuing to score record low ratings in the history of the Thunder/Nash brand and near record low ratings for the 107.3 FM frequency. Again, why does Lori still have a job?
- Star 105.7 & 100.5 The River saw decent gains from Christmas music, but in the case of 105.7, those gains are far smaller than years ago.
- 104.1 WVGR (Michigan Radio) scored an all time best 5.2 share for the station's current format in the GR book.
- Blunder 107.3 has lower ratings than iHM's throwaway classic rock station (WBFX) and a niche Christian station with almost zero marketing (89.3 WGNB).
- No one is listening to The Ticket. 0.4 share. Embarrassing!

In Muskegon, WMRR and V100 are both doing very well. WLHT as long as I can remember has always fared terribly in the Muskegon area. Surprising, considering they are one of the easier stations from Grand Rapids to pick up.

The Kalamzoo book seems to be greatly affected by sampling size volatility. Nonetheless, the lackluster performance of WRKR and terrible performances of WVFM and WKZO are noteworthy. Of note, "WTOU-AM" this book refers to the 95.5/AM 1560 combo whereas in prior books it referred to AM 930. Previously, 95.5/AM 1560 were listed under "WNWN-AM."

Listed stations in the K'zoo book only account for about 45 percent of total listenership. There must be a TON of listening to out-of-market stations and satellite radio there. I suspect B93 is #2 in terms of 12+ listening there. (Of note, WZUU and WQXC are non subscribers.)

Battle Creek? Really not enough stations subscribe to make the numbers meaningful. Win 98.5 only has an 11.4 share, which means 103.3 WKFR is likely#1 there. Too bad the general public cannot see the type of numbers Q106, WKFR, WRKR, and 94.1 Duke FM are pulling. The Urban AC "Touch" format was a ratings success in Battle Creek but evidently not a revenue success; it's a shame the plug was pulled on a popular station! Unlike Kalamazoo, WVFM turned in a decent book in Battle Creek.

CK-722

Re: Nielsen audio ratings roundup: WLAV's ratings are at multi-decade RECORD LOW levels! WTNR remains a dumpster fire!

Post by CK-722 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:26 am

I still have to believe that part of WLAV's problem is new transmitter location, location location. That was one monumental mistake to not buy the land. WLAV-FM had a signal to the East the rivaled the grandfathered superpower stations. The tower was right where it should have been.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

ftballfan

Re: Nielsen audio ratings roundup: WLAV's ratings are at multi-decade RECORD LOW levels! WTNR remains a dumpster fire!

Post by ftballfan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:45 am

Kind of odd that Star 105.7 is a Muskegon subscriber, but not WSNX or WOOD (both of which are licensed to Muskegon!!)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:52 am

I agree that the transmitter site situation was botched. Lots of broken promises to listeners (and maybe advertisers). That is yet another black mark on Cumulus.

However, once the GVSU site is at full power, reception will be excellent across the greater Grand Rapids area. Even at STA power, the signal is quite decent west of the East Beltline, and that's where the vast majority of the market's population lives.

Near the US 131 & M-6 junction, the signal is much stronger today than when the WBBL TX site was being used for STA purposes. Signal can now be picked up easily indoors.

The last time I was in Grand Rapids (Thanksgiving), I noticed someone tinkered with the processor settings. The processing sounded light and tinny with terrible bass response, similar to how WRKR has sounded for many years. A Tom Petty song that was playing sounded absolutely miserable with those settings.

Now, all of that said, I am 100% convinced that that drop in ratings is almost completely due to the programming changes. From the WBBL site, a lower percentage of the market's households were receiving a city grade signal compared to now.

The ratings slide began precisely when WLAV demoted talented midday personality Steve Aldrich to part-time, inserted barf-voiced Jackie Green in his place, replaced a local airshift in evenings with a syndicated show, and added a bunch of worn out wimpy tunes to the playlist (e.g. "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart).

I think as soon as people hear Jackie's voice, they change the dial to 97.9 and leave it there for the rest of the workday.

The unfortunate death of longtime imaging voice, Chris Corley, likely didn't help matters, either. His voice was synonymous with the sound of LAV for at least 15 years.

LAV is NOT a station where making a bunch of changes all at once is wise. Ticked off listeners seem to be defecting to WGRD and WFGR. Giving market veteran Scott Winters the afternoon drive shift was a smart move on WFGR's part. He is not a great music jock by any stretch, but I think longtime listeners of his (from his days of partnering with Rick Beckett) like hearing him back on the air.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:49 pm

Pretty fucking sad and funny when a Niche brand like the Q in conservative west michigan beats out a country station 107.3) and a Classic Rock station (101.3) that tells you how terrible and mediocre both of them are. and NPR on 104.1 is scoring 5's, Lori and Jackie are digging LAV's grave.

IIN4MU

Post by IIN4MU » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:35 am

Lori set WDVD/Detroit on fire before Cume-less shipped her off to GR. She has no business programming, but then again, consider her employer.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:32 pm

Beaten by "The River."

Lordy, sounds like a simple message someone might key-scratch into the door of an 'LAV boss' car, so that the concept finally sinks in.

I started tuning in the "Q" in the last month, owing to general boredom with the known quantities elsewhere on the dial. Enjoying most of the music, the presentation and air talent's additions are nothing to write home about, or mark in a diary.
Last edited by Trophyhead on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blakeharms

Post by blakeharms » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:35 pm

I do wonder if part of the reason Star 105.7 didn't rise as much as years past is because Tommy & Brook are no longer there? It felt like the two were synonymous with each other for a while there. Part of the "legacy" of that station seems to be resetting with Theresa Lucas no longer there either.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:26 am

blakeharms wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:35 pm
I do wonder if part of the reason Star 105.7 didn't rise as much as years past is because Tommy & Brook are no longer there? It felt like the two were synonymous with each other for a while there. Part of the "legacy" of that station seems to be resetting with Theresa Lucas no longer there either.
105.7 is almost exclusively voicetracked with generic john tesh type premium choice programming from Iheartless HQ except Mac and Shmitty.

The Inept morons at IHM still have Theresa Lucas page up considering the last entry was October.

I listen to 94.5 the Q, WLHT 95.7, sometimes 98.7, satellite radio and spotify almost exclusively now

Cume1

Post by Cume1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:10 am

Battle Creek? Really not enough stations subscribe to make the numbers meaningful. Win 98.5 only has an 11.4 share, which means 103.3 WKFR is likely#1 there. Too bad the general public cannot see the type of numbers Q106, WKFR, WRKR, and 94.1 Duke FM are pulling. The Urban AC "Touch" format was a ratings success in Battle Creek but evidently not a revenue success; it's a shame the plug was pulled on a popular station! Unlike Kalamazoo, WVFM turned in a decent book in Battle Creek.

It would be interesting to see the other stations indeed. Ever since MWC put Duke on the air in Lansing, it seems like they shot themselves in the foot as far as 98.5 goes. Plus a lot of staff changes there in Battle Creek too. You're right, KFR is likely #1. I do wonder how the rock stations are doing and if WBCT has gone up at all in that BC market.

tannersboat

Post by tannersboat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Is this the first time that one of the 'Big Three' has failed to place a single station in the top 10? Congrats on a first for Cumulus.

It seems pretty clear why Wheeler wanted Lori out of Detroit, you just have to wonder why they would rehire her?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:41 pm

Yeah, when your best performing station in a four station cluster (I'm not counting tiny WJRW) has only a friggin' THREE SHARE, you know something ain't right!

Granted, WLAV probably still has at least a 4 share in A25-54, but that is still a poor showing for them.

option1

Post by option1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:58 pm

You guys haven’t even discussed the 105.3 HotFM continuous trainwreck. Add that to the Cumulus GR ratings portfolio and it spells d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:32 pm

At least Snot FM has the excuse of a mediocre signal and not being the heritage station in its format.

LAV has the famous call letters, format heritage, and AM and PM drive personalities who have been there since the mid 90's.

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:42 pm

The Ticket has Dan Patrick and Jim Rome but their am signal is so weak / iffy at least on the southeast and south west ends of town I end up streaming. Got spoiled by strong FM signal for years.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic