Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

If Southfield Public School isn't going to operate 88.3 WSHJ properly...

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

If Southfield Public School isn't going to operate 88.3 WSHJ properly...

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:35 pm

...why even keep the darn station on the air???

For the past few months, whenever the station has been broadcasting actual programming, the modulation has been so low that one has turn the volume knob up a good 20 dB to obtain even halfway decent listening volume.

For the past week or more, I've heard nothing more than an open carrier broadcasting dead air.

The station seems to incur one technical issue after another after another. Is anyone affiliated with Southfield Public Schools even listening to the damn thing?

If the school district refuses to give the station sufficient funding to maintain proper operation, why hold onto it?

Deleted User 24

Re: If Southfield Public School isn't going to operate 88.3 WSHJ properly...

Post by Deleted User 24 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm

As much as it pains me, I agree.

Started there in 1973. Honeyman was there with us. Lots of great talent there for a time, including Dave Fuller, Mike Benson, Dick Shafran and, a few years before us, Pat St. John. We even showed up at least once in the Arbitron ratings.

It was clear some years ago that things were going downhill. The woman then running the program had no broaccasting background. Several alumni, including me and my former instructor, offered our volunteer services to oversee the station and help instruct the students. The school board blew us off.

It was once a great training ground.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Could they share with WORB?

WBFH is still Rockin' The Hills!

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Vic Doucette wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm
As much as it pains me, I agree.

Started there in 1973. Honeyman was there with us. Lots of great talent there for a time, including Dave Fuller, Mike Benson, Dick Shafran and, a few years before us, Pat St. John. We even showed up at least once in the Arbitron ratings.

It was clear some years ago that things were going downhill. The woman then running the program had no broaccasting background. Several alumni, including me and my former instructor, offered our volunteer services to oversee the station and help instruct the students. The school board blew us off.

It was once a great training ground.
Doug Banks too.

The censorship king from out of state.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:17 pm

'WPHS in Warren is one example of a station that does a good job maintaining its technical plant. I lived in Sterling Heights and especially Warren for many years, and other than the 2003 blackout, I cannot recall a single instance of WPHS being off the air for a prolonged period or having any sort of processing, modulation or signal issues.
Several alumni, including me and my former instructor, offered our volunteer services to oversee the station and help instruct the students. The school board blew us off.
That's a shame. Thank you for sharing that story, Vic.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:31 am

TC Talks wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:51 pm
Could they share with WORB?

WBFH is still Rockin' The Hills!
...and WAHS too. Both are presets on my tuner.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:46 am

Honeyman wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Doug Banks too.
Kicking myself for not mentioning him. A H*** talent and a wonderful guy. When he flew in to attend the WSHJ reunion at my house, I was wondering how the money and fame he'd earned would affect him.

It hadn't.

It was just like he was still in high school. He was even happier to see us than we were to see him. I cherish the memories of that night, just like I cherish the people and the memories of that little corner of Southfield High School. It was all one of the most important foundation stones of my life.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:46 am
Honeyman wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Doug Banks too.
Kicking myself for not mentioning him. A H*** talent and a wonderful guy. When he flew in to attend the WSHJ reunion at my house, I was wondering how the money and fame he'd earned would affect him.

It hadn't.

It was just like he was still in high school. He was even happier to see us than we were to see him. I cherish the memories of that night, just like I cherish the people and the memories of that little corner of Southfield High School. It was all one of the most important foundation stones of my life.
Jeez....45 years ago, PAG! Pretty sure you, me and Beth were the first SLSHS people ever allowed to work at that station. Took us a while to win acceptance as i recall. But it was where we broke our broadcasting cherry, so very understandable that it remains so special.

The censorship king from out of state.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:17 pm

I have drafted a letter that I will send to each member of the school board. It explains the deep trouble they are in (even if they don't know it) and suggests that they need to either address the issues immediately or shut the place down.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:55 pm

I got a two sentence reply from the school board president, thanking me for informing the board and stating he would look into things.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:00 pm

As of yesterday, programming was back on the air. Audio levels remain lower than they should be.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:10 pm

I sent additional information to the board this afternoon. License renewal is 10/1/20.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:57 pm

The nonstop dead air is back!!

Nothing but an open carrier from WSHJ all day today (12/2/19) and yesterday.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Emailed the board president this morning. Station was on this afternoon when I came home. Both channels had brogramming (one was out last week) and the modulation seemed a bit higher.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:49 pm

I got a letter from the school superintendent today updating me on the station. In brief:

1. A qualified broadcasting teacher has been hired and will start in January.

2. A Keego Harbor-based consulting firm has been hired to bring the station into FCC compliance (EAS, metering, transmission, etc.). A third party will put the new teacher through a 36-hour training program to make sure everyone stays on the right side of the Funny Candy Company.

3. Some new equipment has been installed and more is on the way.

4. I have been asked to join an advisory board to assist the station and have accepted. It seems that the president of the engineering company will be on tfw board; I don't know who else will be involved.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic