Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan football - predictions

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Michigan football - predictions

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:32 pm

If Peoples-Jones remains sidelined due to injury and Michigan runs 30-ish running plays in reaction to that, I do think more multi-fumble games would be likely.

The good news is P-J should be back when we face Wisconsin, so my above statement should be moot.

(I just had to include the word "moot" in my post. Didn't want to feel left out!)

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:39 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:32 pm
If Peoples-Jones remains sidelined due to injury and Michigan runs 30-ish running plays, I do think more multi-fumble games would be likely.

The good news is P-J should be back when we face Wisconsin, so my above statement should be moot.

(I just had to include the word "moot" in my post. Didn't want to feel left out!)
What does DPJ's availability have to do with bad fumbles?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Fair question; let me explain.

First, I presume when your best WR is sidelined, you are more likely to run more running plays from scrimmage than what would normally be the case. More running plays = increased fumble risk.

Second, on passing plays, when Patterson drops back into the pocket, he might not be able to release the ball as quickly as he would like (since there is a reduced likelihood of a man being immediately open downfield with Peoples-Jones sidelined). This, in turn, leads to increased likelihood of getting the ball stripped.

The above thoughts are conjecture on my part; I have no data to support my thinking on this.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:08 pm

The first offensive play against MTSU and the first fumble against Atmy were both on Patterson for failing to secure the ball.the second today was a good play in Army due to Christian Turner failing in pass blocking. I think that Black, Colin's, and DPJ are all #1 receiver talents. Future games may dim my optimism, but an offensive transition with a tough team on the schedule will not.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:32 pm

My hope is Patterson will feel more at ease if his best WR is out on the field. A Senior QB who does display great natural talent most of the time shouldn't be so jittery.

Army was a good team last year. An overall weak schedule, but they beat the living snot out of Buffalo (one of the better MAC teams last season), held Houston's potent offense to an impressively low 14 points, and of course gave the Sooners quite the fight in Norman. They did finish in the Top 25 and had only one other defeat aside from the loss to Oklahoma.

I am probably guilty of not giving this Army squad the respect it deserves coming off a successful 2018 season. That said, I did think the point spread in Vegas was set ridiculously high. I figured Michigan would win by 14 to 17 points.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:40 pm

In fairness, even with all of the errors, Michigan wins by two scores if the Metellus TD was called correctly.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:48 pm

I’m going with 6 wins. This team is pitiful, and coaching is a major part of that.

Harbaugh needs to go. Would be nice if a local media person would actually throw him some tough questions.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:51 pm

In fairness, even with all of the errors, Michigan wins by two scores if the Metellus TD was called correctly.
Michigan got screwed royally on that call; no question!

The limitations on video review are moronic; something needs to be done about that.

Cannot say for certain that Michigan would've won by two scores, but they absolutely would've emerged victorious in regulation for sure.

I'm a skeptic about the overall quality of this team, but I'm nowhere near ready in joining fuzzpower in describing the team as "pitiful." For now, I'll stick with my prediction of 8 or 9 wins for the regular season.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:05 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:48 pm
I’m going with 6 wins. This team is pitiful, and coaching is a major part of that.

Harbaugh needs to go. Would be nice if a local media person would actually throw him some tough questions.
Take a long walk off a short pier.

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 pm

I've been a Michigan fan since 1969.
There is no way to put a positive spin on that game based on anything Army did last year. It was a bad game and would have been a loss against half the Big 10.
If that game doesn't raise concern about Harbaugh's ability to get a team ready to play then I say you need to put the Koolaid down.
Last edited by craig11152 on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I no longer directly engage trolls

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:13 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:48 pm
I’m going with 6 wins.
You are either a troll or a moron.

I no longer directly engage trolls

bmw

Post by bmw » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:17 pm

They play 6 currently Top 25 teams, so 6-6 is not entirely out of the realm of possibility. However I think 7 is worst-case scenario, more likely 8 or 9.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:29 am

Meanwhile, roughly an hour's drive to the northwest.... :mrgreen:

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:18 am

However I think 7 is worst-case scenario, more likely 8 or 9.
+1

If Maryland is truly "for real," I am worried about that match up.

A lot of folks are speculating that Harbaugh was doing play calling on offense yesterday. I hope (a) that is indeed true and (b) that will no longer be the case VERY SOON.

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:41 am

craig11152 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:12 pm
I've been a Michigan fan since 1969.
There is no way to put a positive spin on that game based on anything Army did last year. It was a bad game and would have been a loss against half the Big 10.
If that game doesn't raise concern about Harbaugh's ability to get a team ready to play then I say you need to put the Koolaid down.
Would "half of the Big 10" have run the same offense that Army did yesterday? Would they have gone for it on fourth down with the frequency that Army did? On the second Patterson fumble, after the called back Metellus TD, would a Big 10 defender with a free shot on the QB have thought about also stripping the QB? I do think that military academies are tougher to get up for, then say the school of rapists and criminals up the road near the state capital. That's not an excuse but a reality. There were a lot of self inflicted issues that Michigan can clean up. The offense has the ability to be explosive.

The defense actually is outperforming my expectations, relative to what they lost in the offseason. 3 out of 4 TDs against the first time defense came after bad turnovers by the offense. That gets back to cleaning things up on offense. I think you'll see a much more crisp offense in two weeks, with a healthy Patterson, DPJ, and Jon Runyan, JR.

Edit: As for Maryland, they've been a September team for a few years. If that carries into conference play, then you might have a reason to raise your concern about them. There is some extra coaching motivation to kick the shit out of Maryland too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic