Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Lee Van Ameyde Dies at 66

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
blakeharms

Lee Van Ameyde Dies at 66

Post by blakeharms » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:33 pm

Very sad news from former WZZM anchor Lee Van Ameyde. https://www.wzzm13.com/article/life/peo ... 8fca7e241d

MasterB

Re: Lee Van Ameyde Dies at 66

Post by MasterB » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:41 pm

R.I.P. Lee I thought he was older more in his early 70's.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:56 pm

MasterB wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:41 pm
R.I.P. Lee I thought he was older more in his early 70's.
He aged pretty hard over his last 10 years or so on the air. I remember watching my first WZZM newscast in years not long before he retired and was surprised by how weak his voice was sounding.

WOOD's article mentions he had been battling diabetes and kidney disease.

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:35 pm

I was surprised Lee Van Ameyed was just 66. Remember when he came to town to be WZZM’s anchor in 1977.

Was aware that he was a diabetic and heard that his overall health had been affected because of his condition.

Saw a Go Fund me account had been set up for funeral expenses.

Knew WZZM was never a leader when it came to payroll but Van Ameyed was WZZM’s 6 and 11 anchor for at least 20 years, with the station for 39 years. Was his medical costs eating all his retirement ? Was WZZM’s retirement medical crap or non-existent?

Thought local anchors were in the $80K-$100k+ for at least a decade

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Lee was a credible, straight forward newscaster who performed his job well for many, many years. One could reasonably argue he was the de facto face of WZZM until the moment he retired from the anchor desk.

He always came across as a low key, regular guy with no ego. Seeing him on the air always reminded me of the great news operation WZZM once was so many years ago. Lee wasn't there to be a "celebrity." He was there to be a journalist.

The only other on-air newscast personality left from that golden era is George Lessens.

My sincerest condolences to all who knew Mr. Van Ameyde personally.

weathernut

Post by weathernut » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Met him several times. Worked around him during newscasts as I was doing my internship at WZZM with Bill Steffen and George Lessens in the summer of ‘98. Great personality and human being.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:43 am

I was saddened to read of Lee’s passing. Condolences to his family and friends.

It’s a testament to his place in GR that WOOD did a full story on him as well. I hope more of his kind are to come, as there aren’t enough real journalists today on local television newscasts. Style is fine, but without substance, we’re just watching newsreaders. Lee appeared as much more than just a television personality.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:30 pm

Musicrewired wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:43 am
I was saddened to read of Lee’s passing. Condolences to his family and friends.

It’s a testament to his place in GR that WOOD did a full story on him as well. I hope more of his kind are to come, as there aren’t enough real journalists today on local television newscasts. Style is fine, but without substance, we’re just watching newsreaders. Lee appeared as much more than just a television personality.
If I recall correctly, WZZM made a very similar gesture several years ago when Warren Reynolds passed.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm

It’s a tribute to both Lee and the civility and respect he represented and inspired.

Here’s to more of that wherever it can be found.

Bull Shannon

Post by Bull Shannon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:16 pm

Musicrewired wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:29 pm
It’s a tribute to both Lee and the civility and respect he represented and inspired.

Here’s to more of that wherever it can be found.
Agreed 100%

I'm with MW in that Lee was THE face of WZZM news during their heydey of the '80s and '90s. He was a total class act, hands down.

I caught FOX 17's 10pm newscast on Tuesday night after the news came out, and Derek Francis spoke highly of him when they reported the news of his passing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic