Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Detroit radio station cume (weekly unique listeners count)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Detroit radio station cume (weekly unique listeners count)

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:15 am

These numbers have not yet been updated to reflect July's data, but you get the general idea:

http://www.stationratings.com/sr_Ratings.aspx?market=11

Not surprisingly, WNIC is #1 and WKQI is #2.

Here's what *did* surprise me:
- Thanks to the Tigers' terrible play, WXYT-F isn't even in the top 10.
- A number of stations are down a good 10 to 15 percent from where they were five years ago. It seems less cume is needed per AQH share point today than five years ago. That means less terrestrial radio listening is occurring overall (not at all a surprise).
- 760 WJR. Holy crap. Only 200,000 listeners over the course of a full week. Even in late spring/summer, they used to be north of 350,000 listeners. The station barely edges out signal impaired 91.7 WUOM in that department these days!
- 950 WWJ. Clearly in much better shape than WJR, but their cume is only one half that of the top FM stations in town.
- Mix 92.3: To be able to achieve almost a 7 share in ages 6+ with fewer than 600,000 listeners is quite the accomplishment; their TSL must be phenomenal.

Other notables:
- 98.7 The Breeze is doing great! Over 833,000 listeners per week! That puts them at #6 overall in cume, and they are also within spitting distance of fourth place (WCSX and WDVD hold narrow leads).
- 105.1 The Bounce benefits from more white listeners than the other Urban stations in town, which is why unlike those stations, they are in the top 10 in cume.
- 106.7 Fake Wheels has a lot of people listening! The same amount as WRIF. That's impressive. Will it last?
- WYCD has a whopping 70% more listeners per week than Gnash. WDRQ has the second worst cume among full power commercial FM stations in Detroit, excluding Canadian signals and WMUZ. Only Hot 107.5 is worse (barely). That's an embarrassing performance if you are Gnash FM.
- Outside of WWJ and WJR, AM Radio in Metro Detroit is completely DEAD. Stations #3 - #5 in cume all had fewer than 30,000 listeners per week, meaning fewer than 1 in 100 Metro Detroit residents listen to each station. WDFN now has fewer than 16,000 listeners per week, which would be mediocre even by Grand Rapids market standards!!!

windsor

Re: Detroit radio station cume (weekly unique listeners count)

Post by windsor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:22 am

Interesting stuff, thx for deciphering it for us MW........... :D

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

Deleted User 7769

Post by Deleted User 7769 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:36 am

WWJ has made a terrible choice of not simulcasting on an FM station, despite having the option to do so. Now that 98.7 The Breeze is doing well, it will never happen.
FWIW afternoon drive on WWJ sounds absolutely terrible since Greg Bowman left.

Deleted User 7769

Post by Deleted User 7769 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:12 am

radiodoc wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:36 am
WWJ has made a terrible choice of not simulcasting on an FM station, despite having the option to do so. Now that 98.7 The Breeze is doing well, it will never happen.
FWIW afternoon drive on WWJ sounds absolutely terrible since Greg Bowman left.
I should have clarified: Afternoon drive sounds much better with two people.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:26 pm

I should add - WRIF has lost a LOT of cume compared to prior years.

They used to cume around 750,000. Now, they are in the low 600's.

I would be curious to know which dayparts are hemorrhaging the most listeners.

I suspect some CSX listeners who previously used WRIF as their P2 station are now using WLLZ in that capacity.

Deleted User 3751

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:45 pm

WWJ has made a terrible choice of not simulcasting on an FM station
They do simulcast on FM but you need an HD radio to hear it. 97.1 HD2

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:28 pm

How does WBBM do as an AM/FM simulcast? I have noticed some of their reporters omit 780 entirely.

The AM stations in Detroit save WFDF, Birach’s brokered stations and maybe the religious stations are mostly national feeds. I wonder if more localization and promotion would possibly bring more listeners? I don’t expect miracles, but less than 30,000 is sad.

I am curious how the Windsor stations are doing in this market.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic