Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 Detroit Tigers

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Re: 2019 Detroit Tigers

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:09 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:33 am
Surprisingly good article from the Freep's Anthony Fenech (someone who I've not always liked and has engaged in conflicts of interest regarding the subject he covers - the Tigers) regarding how Avlla bungled actual & potential trade returns not just at this year's trade deadline but also at the past couple deadlines.

The scuttlebutt regarding Boyd is particularly eye opening.

Avila a couple seasons ago passed up an amazing return (in hindsight) for Fulmer.

What I just read is damning regarding any assessment of Avila's talent evaluation & negotiation abilities, and unequivocally suggests to me that Avila sure as hell was not deserving of a multi-year contract extension!!

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/ ... 913091001/
You can bet Dombrowski would've been on the horn to every GM trying to bring another team into the trade talks; he worked a few elaborate 3-team trades while with Detroit.

When Avila first took over, I mentioned here that if he had Dombrowski's savvy in recognizing talent and working trades he'd do just fine. Well, it looks as if that was nothing more than an "if".

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:50 pm

I'd like to see the Tigers fold, but the next best thing would be for all of the players to be unpaid amateurs. The money saved could be refunded to the state/city for LCA subsidies.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:24 am

Three one-run losses in a row. Hey, I see improvement! :lol

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:29 pm

And then they go and beat the Astros. After being the biggest laughing stock Vegas underdog in any MLB regular season game of any team in 15 years at nearly a 6-to-1 underdog. And they win 2-1.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:54 am

bmw wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:29 pm
And then they go and beat the Astros. After being the biggest laughing stock Vegas underdog in any MLB regular season game of any team in 15 years at nearly a 6-to-1 underdog. And they win 2-1.
Somebody made a few bucks. :hat Great game!

- Sydney J. Harris

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:55 am

Wow, if VerHagen can command that wipe-out curveball consistently as well as his fastball.... :!:
He's looked like a keeper his last few times out. :hat

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:06 pm

I was actually contemplating finding a way to place a $100 wager on that game when I read those odds!

6-to-1 odds is absurd for a baseball game.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:55 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:55 am
Wow, if VerHagen can command that wipe-out curveball consistently as well as his fastball.... :!:
He's looked like a keeper his last few times out. :hat

The bottom will drop out. Even Nate Cornejo had two or three good starts.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:06 am

Batting .102 with 44 strikeouts in 102 plate appearances. Guess who? That's right, our catcher of the future. :rolleyes

All up and down this line-up, pitch recognition and plate discipline seem to be foreign concepts. Baserunning errors and fielding flubs are rife -- not Major League errors, but y'know, stuff supposedly taught Little Leaguers! Hell, it's even infecting our future Hall-of-Famer!
Absolutely pathetic.

Oh, but we can certainly "grind out" a win every ten games or so. :rolleyes

Gardenhire and company has less than a month to get this team playing at least decent fundamental baseball in "real" games. I'm still optimistic. Lugo has looked decent handling the hot corner, Reyes is batting over .300, and Harold Castro looks as if he can handle Major League pitching.

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:41 pm

I still think Harold Castro grades out as a utility player. Like the others, not enough pitch selection. Reyes has been surprising since playing every day. His power is developing too- hopefully doubles can turn into homers.

Lugo certainly can play defense, he just needs to be consistent. Willi Castro is the same deal- he’s young so if he doesn’t hit so well the next couple of weeks there’s still time.

Rogers never could for average in Toledo. He was prematurely brought up.

matt1

Post by matt1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:12 pm

Tigers reached 100 losses this year!!!

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:08 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:41 pm
I still think Harold Castro grades out as a utility player.
He reminds me a lot of Frank Catalanotto from the Randy Smith era in the type of player he is. "Cat" had a pretty decent career, mostly with Texas and Toronto.
Rogers never could [hit] for average in Toledo. He was prematurely brought up.
He'll be 25 at the start of next season, he'd better start hitting for average, at least above the Mendoza line! JaCoby Jones looks like he figured it out, so there's hope.

- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:58 pm

Frank Catalanotto, there’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time.

Rogers will unlikely hit for average, but will float around the league as a backup or third catcher because of the pop in his bat. He may end up on an NL bench at some point. Different position, but look at how many times Mike Hessman kept rising from the dead and sitting on a major league bench for short stretches.

I’m still not sold on JaCoby Jones. He’s a fourth outfielder until he has longer stretches of production. Victor Reyes has more potential in my eyes.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:38 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:58 pm
I’m still not sold on JaCoby Jones. He’s a fourth outfielder until he has longer stretches of production. Victor Reyes has more potential in my eyes.
No less an authority than Al Kaline has stated flatly that Jones is the best outfielder in the organization, bar none! I think he's shown as much, smooth as silk out there in centerfield. With his bat coming around, I'd rather see him in CF and Reyes in RF patrolling the vast expanses that includes "triples alley" at Comerica Park. Who knows if Daz Cameron will ever amount to anything offensively? I've already written off Derek Hill who appears to be on his last legs as a prospect. It seems the LF job is Christin Stewart's to lose.

- Sydney J. Harris

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:32 pm

The 1984 Detroit Tigers were 42-14 on June 10.

The 2019 Detroit Tigers are 42-100 on September 9.

The censorship king from out of state.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic