Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New 105.3 Hot FM morning show announced

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
MisterGoodrich2U

New 105.3 Hot FM morning show announced

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:56 pm

CUMULUS RADIO GROUP ANNOUNCES ANOTHER MARKET FIRST
West Michigan’s ONLY all-female morning show debuts on Monday, August 26!

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – Aug. 22, 2019 – Following the hugely successful launch of the first and only Triple A format radio station The Q 94-5 (WKLQ)*, Cumulus today unveils the first and only morning radio show presented by two female hosts: ‘The Gray and Green Show’ will debut on 105.3 HOT FM Monday morning 8/26.

The show features two of the most high profile women in the West Michigan media landscape:

Rachael Gray has been waking up West Michigan for the past seven years at 105.3 HOT FM. She started her career hosting mornings at WBTI in Port Huron, MI. Rachael’s fierce sense of humor is only upstaged by her love of pop culture. If it matters she’ll tell you!

Rachael is a mom of 2 and has no problem sharing ALL of what that entails. She is not only a strong communicator but a leader in West Michigan non-profit work. She is a tireless advocate of organizations supporting women and mothers, conversely, Rachael doesn’t take herself too seriously. In what can be a divisive world, Rachael’s voice breaks through to bring an audience together one laugh at a time.

Jackie Green If it’s happening in West Michigan, Jackie Green is part of it! Jackie started her broadcast career hosting nights and middays at WGRD-FM before moving to television as a Fox 17 feature reporter for the “On the Scene with Jackie Green” segment. In 2016, Jackie moved back to radio by entertaining the drive home crowd from 3p-7p on 105-3 Hot FM.

A working mom and activist, Jackie still finds time to run marathons and volunteers at Children’s Hospitals by entertaining the kids dressed as Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel and other favorite costumed characters. Jackie has been able to spread her advocacy for female empowerment in a unique forum by participating in pageants throughout the country. Her great attitude is infectious as is her warmth and generous spirit.

“We are so excited to present this one-of-a kind show to the West Michigan audience” said Lori Bennett, Operations Manager for the Cumulus West Michigan group and Program Director of 105-3 HOT FM. “Rachael and Jackie are two of the most dynamic personalities I’ve ever worked with and their emotional connection as part of the West Michigan community is unmatched. Sure, they’re about “girl power”, but actually, it’s “people power”.

Rachael Gray said: “I have never been more thrilled in my entire career! It’s an exciting time for our industry, and I feel beyond grateful that I get to sit ‘across the board’ from one of my closest friends, who also happens to be an amazing woman.”

Jackie Green added: “Since I began in radio, my dream was to be part of a morning show. I’m so happy to make the move to work with Rachael, who’s not only an incredible talent but a great friend.”

WHAT: The Gray and Green Show Debut

WHEN: Monday, August 26 at 6AM

WHERE: On air at 105.3, online at 1053hotfm.com and on your Alexa and Google devices

###

The Cumulus Radio Group of West Michigan owns and operates 5 live and local over the air radio brands in the Grand Rapids radio market; 105.3 HOT FM, 97 LAV, Thunder 107.3, The Ticket, and The Q 94-5.

*(WKLQ) “The Q 94-5” launched in early February and garnered an impressive showing in its first full Neilson Spring rating period. CRG also produces local events and offers ‘C-Suite’ Digital Marketing tools.

Photos by: Horns & Halos Photography

URL: www.facebook.com/hornsandhalosphotography

@hornsandhalosphotography​

Kelsey Gronda

On Air Personality I The Q 94.5 I 7P-12A

Promotions Director

Cumulus Radio Station Group I Grand Rapids

O. 616.855.8320

C. 989.708.1256

60 Monroe Center St. NW Suite 300
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

kelsey.gronda@cumulus.com

statmanmi

Re: WHTS 105.3 FM morning show

Post by statmanmi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Sorry to be meticulous, but isn't the release noting that the morning show changes will be on WHTS 105.3 FM?

Seems like Ms. Gronda led with the mention of WKLQ, even though every other sentence was about 105.3.

Would an edit to this topic heading be in order?

Cheers ~~ Statmanmi

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: New 105.3 Hot FM morning show announced

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:00 pm

That press release is absolutely nauseating to read.

I will say moving Jackie Green to mornings isn't a bad move from the standpoint that she absolutely stinks as a top 40 music jock. Hopefully, 105.3 will now get some decent air talent in PM Drive.

Based on the content of the press release, the station looks to be making a push to increase its appeal to working age females. My guess is WLHT is handing WHTS its ass in that demographic.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 pm

(I used my moderator privileges to edit the thread subject; thanks statmanmi.)

I like how "Neilson" is spelled in the footnote of that press release!

Also,, I like the reference to "Triple A" in the opening sentence. Non-radio people likely have zero idea what that term even means. When they see "Triple A,' they think the automobile club or minor league baseball. Why not describe the station as Adult Modern Rock instead?

phil mckracken

Post by phil mckracken » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:32 am

Well, I guess one of you geniuses should be in the business of writing press releases instead of making crappy comments about topics you know nothing about.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:55 am

I write 40 to 50 page memos for high risk loan transactions that often exceed $25 million on a regular basis. My work is frequently read by people making high six figure salaries as well as banking industry regulators.

I graduated from an elite undergrad school of business.

Therefore, I think I am very well qualified to comment on business writing.

I do know this- someone in radio who writes press releases targeted to the advertising community probably should be aware of the proper spelling of "Nielsen."

handbanana

Post by handbanana » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:21 pm

That presser is making my eyes bleed.

Spelling mistakes aside, I've also never seen a notation that doesn't actually include the exact demo and rank they're referencing, "garnered an impressive showing" sounds like they went from a 1 share to a 2 share. Which for Cumulus, might be a reason for a party.

Considering this is supposed to be a press release on a new show on a different frequency, can't say they really hit it out of the park on this one.

Speaking of WKLQ, I was very into it when it launched, but have noticed it's become very repetitive. Isn't that the opposite of what a AAA should be?

phil mckracken

Post by phil mckracken » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:09 pm

Well, I guess MW is a little sensitive...

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:14 pm

Pot calls kettle black. :blink

MisterGoodrich2U

Post by MisterGoodrich2U » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks, MW, for making the change in the title. What was I thinking?

option1

Post by option1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:28 am

Warning...Rant Post...

I like that they are willing to break tradition and give this a shot. Successful women morning show leads are still fairly rare, let alone two women on a CHR. GR has a great lead in Connie at WLHT. The problem here is that Hot is just an overall cluster-fuck.

Hot should have been blown up and re-branded years ago. They keep moving talent in and out, around like chess pieces without even the slightest knowledge of how to play chess. Lori. Please. Fix your product. Listen to the small audience you have that for years now have been telling you your station sucks. Quit investing in hope and experiments. Realize that people won’t give a shit about your all female morning show if your Brand, or your radio station, is a joke. Sit down with the Cumulus brain-trust, (just not the one’s selling off heritage stations in major markets), and come up with a REAL plan of action.

Look, there is room between WSNX and Lite for a station like Hot. Not much room, but room. Go after them. Get aggressive. Play your powers 120x a week. Shrink the library down to 125 songs. Re-image the station. Just basic radio 101 things that anyone with a pulse would realize to do after they have been WSNX’s “you know what” for so long.

It just pains me to watch what should have been a successful heritage radio station continue to make mistake after mistake after mistake. I know you guys can turn it around over there at Hot/Cumulus. I have faith in you. Kinda.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Actually, I think WHTS is more reliant on currents and plays less gold than WSNX. One issue with WHTS is the song scheduling choices are subpar. I hear too much mid tempo music.

WHTS has already been re-imaged a couple times in recent years. The station is damaged goods. Time to try something new. A rhythmic hits & throwbacks format would be welcome. A rhythmic hits station that plays currents plus significant library material would do the most damage to WSNX. I'd aim for a sound similar to Power 96.5 in Lansing, albeit with a presentation that isn't preferential to African American listeners.

Re: the Hot Hits angle - 98.7 Amp Radio in Detroit was power intensive, aggressive on new music and usually played less gold per daypart than WKQI. Didn't work out too well for them, did it?

Music is hardly 105.3's only issue. Jackie Green in PM Drive was a painful listen. The kiddie show at night from some unknown city far, far away is simply bad programming strategy. On top of all that, their signal is pretty shabby, too. Good luck picking up the station indoors on a cheap radio, especially at a workplace, if you are in downtown GR or out by the airport.

The morning show change seems to be a gimmick to win over listeners from WLHT and to a lesser degree Star. I do not believe it will be successful.

I cannot name a single station Lori Bennett has turned around in the past decade. Magic 105.1's ratings were sliding when she left. WDVD's ratings weren't as good when she left as when she arrived. Now, when comparing spring numbers at 107.3 versus fall 2018 numbers at 94.5, Gnash / Blunder has hemorrhaged more than one half of its AQH share!

105.3 Hot FM was up to a 5.5 share in Persons 25-54 and nearly an 8 share in Females 25-54 when Beau Derek was programming it several years ago; that seems like a very distant memory now.

blakeharms

Post by blakeharms » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:26 am

I woke up to Gravy & Rachael in the morning growing up and loved every minute... even before she came on board in 2012 (I always thought it was earlier - who was it before her?), they had a great library, and for someone who had young ears, was a nice alternative to WSNX. Unfortunately, they failed to make any changes until it was too late. It will be interesting to see how the new lineup does with listeners.

RandJob

Post by RandJob » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:03 pm

Can't imagine Lori lasts much longer, even LAV has fallen off under her watch. At least Crenshaw moved things forward.

I can't believe Cumulus thinks so little of Grand Rapids that they move a washout in as OM.

In life when I have decisions to make I always think to myself, What Would Scott Hall Do?

Then I buy a bunch of cheap booze and drink myself to sleep.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic