Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What is your favorite subchannel network?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
SolarMax

Re: What is your favorite subchannel network?

Post by SolarMax » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 am

So, how many millions of dollars does the WC School District plan on putting into this project? A broadcast station is not a DIY project. If this is a serious proposal, you'll absolutely need consulting engineers (you cannot just "Put Something Up and see what happens"), a system integrator, and of course, communications lawyers that practice before the FCC in these matters. Be aware that even if the FCC actually does reopen applications for Class A and LP, it takes literally years to get from from application to realization. The other reality is that there are deep-pocket "religious" group operators that swamp the system as soon as there's an open channel anywhere. Every potential local operator has to contend with this competition.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:43 pm

SolarMax wrote:So, how many millions of dollars does the WC School District plan on putting into this project? A broadcast station is not a DIY project. If this is a serious proposal, you'll absolutely need consulting engineers (you cannot just "Put Something Up and see what happens"), a system integrator, and of course, communications lawyers that practice before the FCC in these matters. Be aware that even if the FCC actually does reopen applications for Class A and LP, it takes literally years to get from from application to realization. The other reality is that there are deep-pocket "religious" group operators that swamp the system as soon as there's an open channel anywhere. Every potential local operator has to contend with this competition.
That's what we don't know yet. We plan on approaching the district in the near future to figure that part of it out. I understand what it takes with how long it takes for applications and such, hiring consulting engineers as you said, and with religious groups. This will be a big project and it'll take some time. For now, it's just in its infancy. However, the long wait that it'll bring for the LP station won't stop our streaming project. We've already worked that part out with the district so as soon as we have the equipment, we just need programming to go on the air online.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Splouge wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:25 am
F-Squared wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 am
Okay so to clear everything up-- WPHS-TV is a planned sister station to Cousino High School's radio station, WPHS-FM. Our goal for releasing it on streaming is late 2019/early 2020, and for terrestrial station in 2020. It'll be a low power station serving Sterling Heights/Warren and the surrounding areas, and will be available much more broadly via the stream on the internet. We would like to carry student-produced programming, such as newscasts and other original shows, but we need things to air when there's no student programming to show, which is why we either need a network or syndicated programming.

Wait, can a school even have a commercial TV station?
No, everything on that station over the air has to be non-commercial main and sub channels as far as streaming I’m not sure how that works for commercial content.
I misread that earlier. No, it won't be a commercial station, per se. Like our radio station, it will be completely non-profit.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:The big question is when the repack is completed where will there be space for a high school television station in the Detroit market and also where is the money coming from for the ATSC 3.0 technology for that station when the big broadcasters can barely afford it. Now on the other hand the streaming idea is economically the way to do it and of course the sensible way.
VHF-low will be pretty empty even post repack. Same with VHF-high. We're doing ordinary ATSC, not ATSC 3.0. We, like other broadcasters, obviously can't afford it yet so we're going with good old ATSC for now. The reason why we'd like to create an ATSC station is so students can get used to the dues, rules, and regulations that the FCC brings to terrestrial TV, such as censorship rules, the EAS system, and such. Basically, it delivers an authentic experience. Streaming will only be the beginning of it. Once we get the ball rolling with the terrestrial station, it'll be a simulcast of the stream.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Many of you remind me of Richard Christy from the Howard Stern show. Someone asks you about a "favorite" and instead of naming just one item, you respond with a whole friggin' list of items! :lol

"Well, that one's my favorite! Oh, and ___ is my favorite, too!"

My favorite subchannel network? Get TV, which is carried by WHNE. Pisses me off it's not carried on cable around here. Some of the great sitcoms Antenna TV previously carried are now found on Get TV.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:37 pm

If it's a nonprofit, you probably can't have any commercial networks. I think the best option would be to have city council meetings from Warren, Troy, and Sterling Heights, the three cities that make up the Warren Consolidated School District. Or school sports events. Maybe also public domain movies and TV shows. Subchannel networks, commercial ones anyway, can't be done.

I actually think it should be up to the students to decide what should be broadcast.

VHF 2 will be the only available frequency, and that is limited to only 3 kilowatts for LPTVs.

WPHS-LD wouldn't be a good callsign, as there's already a WHPS-CD in Highland Park, the callsigns are too similar. WWTS (We're Warren, Troy, and Sterling Heights) is available.

A more feasible option to me would be to just purchase the license of another low power or class A station, maybe WLPC-CD, that station needs some upgrades real bad.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Splouge wrote:If it's a nonprofit, you probably can't have any commercial networks. I think the best option would be to have city council meetings from Warren, Troy, and Sterling Heights, the three cities that make up the Warren Consolidated School District. Or school sports events. Maybe also public domain movies and TV shows. Subchannel networks, commercial ones anyway, can't be done.

I actually think it should be up to the students to decide what should be broadcast.

VHF 2 will be the only available frequency, and that is limited to only 3 kilowatts for LPTVs.

WPHS-LD wouldn't be a good callsign, as there's already a WHPS-CD in Highland Park, the callsigns are too similar. WWTS (We're Warren, Troy, and Sterling Heights) is available.

A more feasible option to me would be to just purchase the license of another low power or class A station, maybe WLPC-CD, that station needs some upgrades real bad.
Yeah, that would make things confusing, but WPHS is the callsign of our radio station. Purchasing a license may be a better way to go about doing this, I'll have to ask about that.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:42 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
That is a ridiculous statement.

Hardly anyone in Warren or Sterling Heights knows WHPS-CD even exists.
To be fair, that's probably because reception of it is actually terrible here in Warren/Sterling Heights. I'm not even able to pick it up with Tropo.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:58 pm

Tropo between Detroit and Warren??

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:01 pm

SolarMax wrote:Tropo between Detroit and Warren??
Yeah even when there's Tropo around, I don't even get HPS.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:18 pm

F-Squared wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:01 pm

If you use a high quality indoor antenna like the Clearstream 2Max or the Mohu Leaf, you could definitely get WHPS

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:20 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
F-Squared wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:48 pm
Jeff Dugan wrote:The big question is when the repack is completed where will there be space for a high school television station in the Detroit market and also where is the money coming from for the ATSC 3.0 technology for that station when the big broadcasters can barely afford it. Now on the other hand the streaming idea is economically the way to do it and of course the sensible way.
VHF-low will be pretty empty even post repack. Same with VHF-high. We're doing ordinary ATSC, not ATSC 3.0. We, like other broadcasters, obviously can't afford it yet so we're going with good old ATSC for now. The reason why we'd like to create an ATSC station is so students can get used to the dues, rules, and regulations that the FCC brings to terrestrial TV, such as censorship rules, the EAS system, and such. Basically, it delivers an authentic experience. Streaming will only be the beginning of it. Once we get the ball rolling with the terrestrial station, it'll be a simulcast of the stream.

Good luck with your project and hopefully you’ll be able to find a channel that’s available and the FCC will approve.
Thanks! Image

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:21 pm

Splouge wrote:
F-Squared wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:01 pm

If you use a high quality indoor antenna like the Clearstream 2Max or the Mohu Leaf, you could definitely get WHPS
I'm actually using an outdoor antenna; the Antop UFO. It picks up everything else, even WHNE. But it never gets WHPS. Even the Clearstream 4V, my backup antenna, doesn't get WHPS.

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:07 am

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:05 am
Aspire is distributed by Comcast and is only on cable, AFAIK. It was started up and owned by Earvin "Magic" Johnson.
It's great that they run "In Living Color," a groundbreaking and (mostly) very funny show. When I see on the cable guide that it's on, I pretty much have to watch it.
It's also available on DirecTV.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:32 pm

Antenna TV is my favorite since they have the best shows, such as Johnny Carson, Family Ties, Growing Pains, Barney Miller, Welcome Back Kotter, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic