Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What is your favorite subchannel network?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
F-Squared

What is your favorite subchannel network?

Post by F-Squared » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:52 pm

I'm looking for a network we can carry on the upcoming WPHS-TV project and was wondering what you like and the likelihood that we'd be able to get it. I care a lot about this project, so whatever it is, I want something that's good. I'm going to make sure we do it right, and get some high quality stuff. I'm not just going to shove in some obscure shopping channel on it. If we can't get any networks or if we can afford more than that, I'd rather go to syndication instead, but let's focus on networks for now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by F-Squared on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SolarMax

Re: What is your favorite subchannel network?

Post by SolarMax » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:10 pm

"Subchannels" are added streams only on broadcast channels. Many of them are marketed only to broadcast stations, as supplemental content, and not made available to cable operators. Some, like the shopping channels, are potential revenue for stations, which get a small cut on sales generated by viewers of that station (called p.i. or "Per Inquiry" payments).

If someone has a Favorite, it's because they've been already been watching It, on an existing station.
To name a few, I like Comet (on 50.2), MeTV (4.3), World (56.4). Liked Decades (ex 62.2), will like it again at 2.5. Also, Antenna (20.2), COZI (38.4) and Retro (14.7)
WHNE (14.1-.12), a commercial operation, has posted here and elsewhere on its ongoing efforts to add content and the hurdles encountered by a small scale operation.

Please tell us all more about what WPHS is up to (like- what, and why is WPHS-TV? What would be carried on it? What audience and community would be served?)
Last edited by SolarMax on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 pm

Antenna TV, Get TV, Heartland, Cozi TV, Laff, Decades, Me TV, and Buzzr.

And most importantly, what is WPHS-TV?

EDIT: Also Quest, H&I, Comet, Light TV, Movies!, This TV, and Retro TV
Last edited by Splouge on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

-Byron "The Broadcast Butcher" Allen

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:12 am

Jeff Dugan wrote:Will this be broadcast television or cable?
Broadcast. We had a cable station but stopped broadcasting on it years ago due to reasons I won't go into.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:14 am

Splouge wrote:Antenna TV, Get TV, Heartland, Cozi TV, Laff, Decades, Me TV, and Buzzr.

A planned sister station to WPHS-FM. I'm working on the project and went into it further in another post. We're hoping to get it up as a stream in late 2019/early 2020 with a broadcast station in 2020.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:18 am

F-Squared wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:14 am
Splouge wrote:Antenna TV, Get TV, Heartland, Cozi TV, Laff, Decades, Me TV, and Buzzr.

A planned sister station to WPHS-FM. I'm working on the project and went into it further in another post. We're hoping to get it up as a stream in late 2019/early 2020 with a broadcast station in 2020.

A broadcast station? And what frequency are y'all planning on going to what with the spectrum auction?

"Wanna watch some syndicated slop with very little budget or entertainment value? You got it buddy!"

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 am

Okay so to clear everything up-- WPHS-TV is a planned sister station to Cousino High School's radio station, WPHS-FM. Our goal for releasing it on streaming is late 2019/early 2020, and for terrestrial station in 2020. It'll be a low power station serving Sterling Heights/Warren and the surrounding areas, and will be available much more broadly via the stream on the internet. We would like to carry student-produced programming, such as newscasts and other original shows, but we need things to air when there's no student programming to show, which is why we either need a network or syndicated programming.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:20 am

Splouge wrote:
F-Squared wrote:

A broadcast station? And what frequency are y'all planning on going to what with the spectrum auction?
We're waiting for the repack to end. Applications are opening for LP once the frequencies are allocated for Class-A and full power stations, which is estimated March 2020.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:23 am

F-Squared wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:20 am
Splouge wrote:
F-Squared wrote:

We're waiting for the repack to end. Applications are opening for LP once the frequencies are allocated for Class-A and full power stations, which is estimated March 2020.

But it will definitely be receivable in Melvindale, right?

Also, most major subchannel networks already have homes in Detroit, with the exception of Stadium.

Splouge

Post by Splouge » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:25 am

F-Squared wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 am
Okay so to clear everything up-- WPHS-TV is a planned sister station to Cousino High School's radio station, WPHS-FM. Our goal for releasing it on streaming is late 2019/early 2020, and for terrestrial station in 2020. It'll be a low power station serving Sterling Heights/Warren and the surrounding areas, and will be available much more broadly via the stream on the internet. We would like to carry student-produced programming, such as newscasts and other original shows, but we need things to air when there's no student programming to show, which is why we either need a network or syndicated programming.

Wait, can a school even have a commercial TV station?

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:45 am

Splouge wrote:
F-Squared wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 am

Wait, can a school even have a commercial TV station?
It's actually very strange. The FCC's Low Power Television page EXPLICITLY gives the example of high schools being able to have an LP station, but throughout all my research, I haven't seen a single one that even has an LP station. Maybe they're stuck on their old cable stations? Maybe they're on streaming now? Maybe their budgets are too low to go LP? I'm not sure. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's possible since the FCC themselves say it is.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 am

Splouge wrote:
F-Squared wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:20 am
Splouge wrote:
F-Squared wrote:

But it will definitely be receivable in Melvindale, right?

Also, most major subchannel networks already have homes in Detroit, with the exception of Stadium.
Image I don't know. I'm no genius when it comes to antenna patterns and such, so I'm not sure how far 15 kW can go under those explicit conditions without going and actually putting it up. What I do know is it should at least cover the area that most of our school's students are located in. For anyone outside of the station's reach, they can stream it.

Also, I'm aware of that problem. We'll ask networks anyway, but if they deny, we might have to resort to syndication. We could carry Stadium, but I'd rather not because I don't really want to carry sports programming most of the time. And due to Stadium's owner, Sinclair's controversies.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 am

Oh also I forgot to mention; I'd like for us to go Class-A eventually but is it really worth all of those other dues and regulations and such?

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:30 am

Aspire (https://aspire.tv/) is one I like to watch, but I have only seen it on cable/directv/etc., so I'm not sure if they do broadcast TV. Their programming is aimed for a black audience and being white I enjoy it also (it's currently my favorite channel). Aspire airs older programs such as (The) Mod Squad, Julia, Room 222, The Bernie Mac Show, In living Color, and others. They also have some of their own programs.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:05 am

Aspire is distributed by Comcast and is only on cable, AFAIK. It was started up and owned by Earvin "Magic" Johnson.
It's great that they run "In Living Color," a groundbreaking and (mostly) very funny show. When I see on the cable guide that it's on, I pretty much have to watch it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic