Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

"Doctor Patient Unity" ad blitz

A forum devoted to the Advertising Industry. A place not just to discuss the ads you see & hear, but also the business side of the industry.
SolarMax

"Doctor Patient Unity" ad blitz

Post by SolarMax » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:40 pm

A series of new spots from a heretofore-unknown group, "Doctor Patient Unity" have begun airing on local TV.
A woman with sad-eyes, and sad voice (think ASPCA-Sarah McLachlan-Save the Animals-sad), tells us that doctors' and hospitals' livelihoods and existence are threatened by "government rate setting" proposals being considered in the U.S. Senate. The spot ends with a call to action to "let Sen. Peters know" that this is a Bad Thing.
"Doctor Patient Unity" appears to be a "dark money" group, showing only an Alabama address. This might explain why the spokesperson refers to "INN-surance," not "in-SURE-ance" as we northerners and midwesterners tend to say it.
A story about the ads at
OpenSecrets.org

moldyoldie

Re: "Doctor Patient Unity" ad blitz

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:31 pm

Like many such ads, these only serve to confuse. The gist of the bill and its repercussions are neither elucidated nor even clearly explained. Obviously, somebody has some money to spend as the talent and production values are quite good...considering.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 pm

The spot's "production values" are pretty ordinary. Undramatic portrait lighting of woman on white background. Plain-vanilla graphic at end. Still unclear on exactly what it's advocating, for whom, or why.
I'm just supposed to tell my senator to vote "no," on something. Because the worried-looking lady says so.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:04 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:16 pm
The spot's "production values" are pretty ordinary. Undramatic portrait lighting of woman on white background. Plain-vanilla graphic at end.
I've certainly seen worse. Considering all that you mention in regards to lighting and graphics, not terrible for a low budget.

As far as the content is concerned, I've already tuned it out -- too "convoluted in its simplicity". :razz :hat

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:26 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:04 pm
I've certainly seen worse. Considering all that you mention in regards to lighting and graphics, not terrible for a low budget.
This seems to be anything but "low budget." The ad buy is saturating broadcast and cable (here and in other target states), and a new :10 sec and :30 sec spot (with fake EMS/empty hospital scare scenario) are now also in the mix. The actual target is Gary Peters. "Government rate setting" is just a cloaking device.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:30 am

SolarMax wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:26 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:04 pm
This seems to be anything but "low budget." The ad buy is saturating broadcast and cable (here and in other target states), and a new :10 sec and :30 sec spot (with fake EMS/empty hospital scare scenario) are now also in the mix. The actual target is Gary Peters. "Government rate setting" is just a cloaking device.
Well, low "production budget".

The most recent ad I saw, the one you mentioned where the hurried EMTs were entering a seemingly abandoned hospital, was actually quite effective and would perhaps make me want to investigate further.

- Sydney J. Harris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic