Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local News Stations in Dayton To Cover Mass Shooting

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
musicfan

Local News Stations in Dayton To Cover Mass Shooting

Post by musicfan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:18 pm

I do not get it. Fox 2 Detroit and Local 4 have teams in Dayton to cover the news surrounding the mass shootings. My question is why?

CNN, Fox News, NBC, ABC and other national news outlets are there (as well as, in El Paso) with their teams covering the events from a "Global" perspective. Also, you have local/regional teams from Ohio and Texas there to cover these events with their local focus. This is more than enough media coverage to glean the facts and stories of these two tragic events.

Instead, we send our local teams out to simply restate the obvious. What can they uncover and reveal that is not already being done (like their presence will make a difference). Ridiculous. Stay in Detroit for Christ sakes. You're just in the way, and you folks look stupid and moronic.

I cannot stand that local agencies throughout the country feel compelled to send their own to areas that experience human, and physical lose in order to make a play for ratings.

RingtailedFox

Re: Local News Stations in Dayton To Cover Mass Shooting

Post by RingtailedFox » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 pm

ratings, man. if it bleeds, it leads.

hell, about 12 years back, jib jab even made a video commenting about sensationalism in journalism causing a perpetual "arms race" as it were for ratings and viewer attention, and its affects on world culture since the dawn of television in the late 1940s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2EPKKVrqI

while it has a comedic angle, there's definitely a large kernel of truth in there, and I'm not trying to make light of either horrible mass-shooting incident, but rather explain why local news stations seem to feel it's necessary to drive hundreds of miles, instead of having colleagues from a closer sister station or fellow network affiliate (or the network itself) helping to cover the news.

~ The Legendary Raccoon-Fox has spoken!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:44 pm

The only local stations that should be broadcasting from there are in Dayton and Cincinnati. The national media can take it from there.

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Someone should alert these stations to stop doing their jobs ASAP because you guys think they shouldn't be doing it.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:55 pm

zzand wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 pm
Someone should alert these stations to stop doing their jobs ASAP because you guys think they shouldn't be doing it.
It’s a national event. The national stations should cover it. Detroit stations should cover it, but not send reporters down there. There is no point to it. Leave that for Dayton (and Cincinnati due to the major overlap between the markets)

zzand

Post by zzand » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:02 pm

I see no issue with the stations covering it. My station, also not in Dayton, has covered it and has a reporter on the ground there since yesterday. Agreed we are radio, not TV, but we are there with updates and coverage of any law enforcement statements. I made the decision based on a local connection. Could be these stations are doing the same. Looking for a local connection. Stations other than networks and locals reported form the Pentagon, Twin Towers and Pa. in the aftermath of 911. Fresh eyes, different thoughts, maybe without political agendas make for better all around coverage.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:41 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:01 pm
It’s comical. You have the Detroit reporters reporting live saying things like “according to a Dayton reporter here (insert fact).” Why not just watch the Dayton reporter? Oh, because Detroit viewers are so invested in the revolving door of Detroit reporters! That’s it!!!
Exactly. The Detroit reporters offer nothing. They could just keep them here and keep in contact with Dayton reporters for updates.

Remember this when they complain about retransmission fees with the local providers.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:00 pm

musicfan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:18 pm
I do not get it. Fox 2 Detroit and Local 4 have teams in Dayton to cover the news surrounding the mass shootings. My question is why?

CNN, Fox News, NBC, ABC and other national news outlets are there (as well as, in El Paso) with their teams covering the events from a "Global" perspective. Also, you have local/regional teams from Ohio and Texas there to cover these events with their local focus. This is more than enough media coverage to glean the facts and stories of these two tragic events.

Instead, we send our local teams out to simply restate the obvious. What can they uncover and reveal that is not already being done (like their presence will make a difference). Ridiculous. Stay in Detroit for Christ sakes. You're just in the way, and you folks look stupid and moronic.

I cannot stand that local agencies throughout the country feel compelled to send their own to areas that experience human, and physical lose in order to make a play for ratings.
Reasonable question, in spite of what Mr. Who Cares thinks.

People in the news business have this imperative to attach themselves in one way or another to big news stories. If there's a plane crash somewhere, a big deal will be made out of the slightest local connection.

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:24 am

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:05 pm
God forbid if something bad happens in Detroit I guess Dayton television will cover the story here in Detroit, It’s called reporters reporting the news are you sleeping under a rock, it’s been going on for years or you just couldn’t find a better topic to post.
But what are they going to tell us that we haven't learned from their parent networks?

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:42 pm
DAC wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:24 am
Jeff Dugan wrote:
God forbid if something bad happens in Detroit I guess Dayton television will cover the story here in Detroit, It’s called reporters reporting the news are you sleeping under a rock, it’s been going on for years or you just couldn’t find a better topic to post.
But what are they going to tell us that we haven't learned from their parent networks?
Maybe some people don’t watch the fake network news did you think of that.
And yet the local news stills airs network produced stories, did you think of that? Honestly, would WDIV provide "genuine" content at 6 and prior the "fake" national news at 6:30, or would we basically hear the same info? What about network O&O's?

mr v

Post by mr v » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:33 pm

If I am a reporter in Dayton I have way more local contacts than an outside reporter from Detroit, contacts I have cultivated over years that I am not sharing with outsiders. Reporters in Dayton will cover this event better than anyone outside the area.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:07 pm

What is the radius where a station considers it worthwhile to go out-of-state to a big news story? Dayton and Detroit share I-75, and not enough else to make this an obvious decision, regardless of the story.

I figure this is as much about bragging rights and some clips to use in promos as it was about it being necessary. “Hey Detroit, when tragedy struck in Dayton, (name of station) was on the scene with live reports. No matter where the news happens, you can count on (name of station) to get you the story.”

I wonder how many cities joined them, or from how far away El Paso attracted the visual media.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:05 pm

It wouldn’t matter to me if they didn’t cover the story. I just found it odd they were compelled to travel that distance, as if there weren’t enough stories to keep the news team busy in Detroit.

It seemed a bit opportunistic, given the amount of qualified media already at the scene. Wouldn’t covering the story from a Detroit perspective be preferable?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am

Again, there is a difference between covering the story and actually sending people down there.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 pm

Jeff Dugan wrote:
I could see WHIO TV going up there, WDTN no way Nexstar is way too cheap to send a reporter up there and WKEF/WRGT maybe.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic