Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

AAA - can it still work in Detroit?

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
thatonedude

AAA - can it still work in Detroit?

Post by thatonedude » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:56 pm

I'm going to waste my first post on this: the either much loved or deeply hated adult album alternative format.

Do you guys think a triple-A could still work in Detroit? I'm talking about a real AAA station; not whatever the fuck 93.9 The River is now. Something like 107one in Ann Arbor, but with more of a classic rock base to it. Maybe even sprinkle in some Motown and classic soul every now and then for spice. Obviously, it won't be a ratings juggernaut, but I think it could do pretty well.

What do you all think?

take this job and shove it

Mega Hertz

Re: AAA - can it still work in Detroit?

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 pm

I find that I dig a song on 107.1 about 5% of the time. And most of the time, it's a recurrent or gold cut. Much like the current "Alt" format, it's just TOO...light? Maybe it's supposed to be. I just can't handle too much of the "three finger God punch" bands permeating from the likes of 89x, WRIF and Q106. I don't see it working as a full-time format in Detroit.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 pm

AAA does best with highly educated socially progressive people. I don't think Detroit has enough of either.
Last edited by TC Talks on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:I find that I dig a song on 107.1 about 5% of the time. And most of the time, it's a recurrent or gold cut. Much like the current "Alt" format, it's just TOO...light? Maybe it's supposed to be. I just can't handle too much of the "three finger God punch" bands permeating from the likes of 89x, WRIF and Q106. I don't see it working as a full-time format in Detroit.
I feel ya on that. Most rock songs in the last few years basically feel like they're nothing more than cut-and-paste jobs with little to no effort put into them.

I just conjured this up because of all the bullshit these last few years surrounding Detroit's supposed "comeback", and maybe it could be a way for a station to take advantage of it (and not fuck it all up like iHeart did with Fault 106.7). Obviously this is strictly a what-if scenario; I don't think any stations need to be blown up right now.

And as for myself, I tend to like most of what I hear on 107.1, currents especially. For example, I heard them play a new cut from the Violent Femmes earlier, which I thought was a pleasant surprise. Image

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:51 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:49 pm
AAA does best in highly educated socially progressive people. I don't think Detroit has enough of either.
And therein lies the rub. I can't go more than 10 minutes without Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Whitesnake or Journey. And I love a lot of 80s music. I'm so burnt on that stuff, though...

Most artists on AAA are a lot more than just "wooo! Tits! Beer! Party!", and yes, I agree...not enough people like that in that area.

-TurkeyTop

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 am

I would love to hear a AAA radio station on the air in Detroit. Just having a slightly different option to listen too would be nice.

But I wouldn't get my hopes too high, because it would still be a tightly controlled corporate playlist. Where at first it sounds new and refreshing, but just ends up being the same songs in a slightly different order that gets stale after a few weeks. Each month they may rotate a few new songs into the playlist, but not enough to really make that big of a difference.

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:54 am

Wonder how it would work out if Cumulus dumped Nash to carry their Ann Arbor AAA into the Detroit market? They have jocks that are known in Detroit like Martin Bandyke and Kelly Brown. It can't do any worse than Nash.

drew10219

Post by drew10219 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 am

WXRT in Chicago is one of the best stations I have ever heard.

not sure if they are AAA or Album Rock or what but it is really good

107.1 has a really lame playlist, I really think that format will only work in Ann Arbor - not Detroit

nobody will take a chance on AAA since the river has been pretending to be that for quite a while- (Why do they play Justin Timberlake?)

thatonedude

Post by thatonedude » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:50 am

drew10219 wrote:WXRT in Chicago is one of the best stations I have ever heard.

not sure if they are AAA or Album Rock or what but it is really good

107.1 has a really lame playlist, I really think that format will only work in Ann Arbor - not Detroit

nobody will take a chance on AAA since the river has been pretending to be that for quite a while- (Why do they play Justin Timberlake?)
The River is a poorly programmed modern AC. I don't even listen to them anymore; they're just as bad as Cities 97 in Minneapolis.

And XRT is a triple-A -- and a fantastic one at that. I was in Chicago a few months ago and loved listening to them.

I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's opinions on this so far. Image
Last edited by thatonedude on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:53 pm

107.1 bores me to tears. It’s mostly light crap. The new artists they play are too mellow and lame.

A format like this wouldn’t even draw a 1 share in the Metro.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:23 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:53 pm
It’s mostly light crap. The new artists they play are too mellow and lame.
Okay, good...I feel like my opinion above is validated. It IS too light.

-TurkeyTop

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:36 pm

107.1 in Ann Arbor it’s definitely one of best stations in the state of Michigan, it’s one of those stations you can turn on and leave it on all day long. 93.1 XRT is good also!

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Really love WXRT too, WLLZ is kind of a white trash XRT.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:12 pm

I did change it. I rarely tune in, and if I do it’s for about three seconds before I change again. You may enjoy it, but not many people in Metro Detroit would agree. It has sub 1 share written all over it.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:43 pm

All I know is Detroit could use a little more variety formats, too many stations with too similar playlist. One person skip, is someone else's stop and listen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic