Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Video Games and Mental Illness

Debate and discussion of current events and political issues across the U.S. and throughout the World. Be forewarned -- this forum is NOT for the intellectually weak or those of you with thin skins. Don't come crying to me if you become the subject of ridicule. **Board Administrator reserves the right to revoke posting privileges based on my sole discretion**
Turkeytop

Video Games and Mental Illness

Post by Turkeytop » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Video games and mental illness seem to be the new replacement for the thoughts and prayers mantra, following mass shootings.

One of President Trump's first acts, upon taking office in 2017, was to sign a bill making it easier for people with mental illness to buy guns.
Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

The new law nullifies an Obama-backed rule that added people with mental illnesses to the national background check database.

Feb. 28, 2017, 8:36 PM EST / Updated Feb. 28, 2017, 8:39 PM EST

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

Had the rule fully taken effect, the Obama administration predicted it would have added about 75,000 names to that database.

President Barack Obama recommended the now-nullified regulation in a 2013 memo following the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, which left 20 first graders and six others dead. The measure sought to block some people with severe mental health problems from buying guns.

The original rule was hotly contested by gun rights advocates who said it infringed on Americans’ Second Amendment rights. Gun control advocates, however, praised the rule for curbing the availability of firearms to those who may not use them with the right intentions.

Both the House and Senate last week passed the new bill, H.J. Res 40, revoking the Obama-era regulation.

Trump signed the bill into law without a photo op or fanfare. The president welcomed cameras into the oval office Tuesday for the signing of other executive orders and bills. News that the president signed the bill was tucked at the bottom of a White House email alerting press to other legislation signed by the president.

The National Rifle Association “applauded” Trump’s action. Chris Cox, NRA-ILA executive director, said the move “marks a new era for law-abiding gun owners, as we now have a president who respects and supports our arms.”

Everytown For Gun Safety President John Feinblatt said he expected more gun control rollbacks from the Trump administration. In a statement to NBC News, he called the action "just the first item on the gun lobby’s wish list" and accused the National Rifle Association of "pushing more guns, for more people, in more places."

Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., a leading gun control advocate in Congress, called out Republicans over the move.

"Republicans always say we don’t need new gun laws, we just need to enforce the laws already on the books. But the bill signed into law today undermines enforcement of existing laws that Congress passed to make sure the background check system had complete information," he said in an emailed statement.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tr ... al-n727221

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

Deleted User 14990

Re: Video Games and Mental Illness

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:14 am

Study after study shows that video games or movies have very little to do with this stuff. The same thing with book burnings and all that nonsense.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 am

Violent video games. Mental illness.

Other industrialized countries have these. Yet only America has frequent, lethal, mass slaughters of humans featuring automatic weapons of war - and in some cases - explosives.

So violent video games and mental illness must not be the reasons.

Could the reason be - millions of weapons of war easily purchased and utilized by USA home-grown white guys?

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:43 am

screen glare wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 am
Could the reason be -
millions of weapons of war easily purchased and utilized by USA home-grown white guys?
Bigotry leads to ignorance, as is the case here.

Sources: Top chart - statista.com; Bottom chart - 2010 Census

So unsurprisingly, Screen Glare's bigotry against white people (specifically, white males) has led him astray and to a factually false conclusion. The data shows that if anything, whites are slightly less likely per capita to commit mass shootings than blacks or Hispanics, who are slightly more likely. Given the size of the data set, I would say the correlation is statistically insignificant. Also note that the size of the data sets are 113 in the top chart and 116 in the bottom so the numbers are basically comparable.

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:05 pm

bmw wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:43 am
screen glare wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:29 am
Could the reason be -
millions of weapons of war easily purchased and utilized by USA home-grown white guys?
Bigotry leads to ignorance, as is the case here.

Sources: Top chart - statista.com; Bottom chart - 2010 Census

So unsurprisingly, Screen Glare's bigotry against white people (specifically, white males) has led him astray and to a factually false conclusion. The data shows that if anything, whites are slightly less likely per capita to commit mass shootings than blacks or Hispanics, who are slightly more likely. Given the size of the data set, I would say the correlation is statistically insignificant. Also note that the size of the data sets are 113 in the top chart and 116 in the bottom so the numbers are basically comparable.
His endless rants against Conservatives are worse and i consider that bigotry. Rant against Jews or Muslims, and its agreed. Rant against other forms of philosophocal views? Sounds like bigotry to me.
Apparently, the El Paso lunatic railed against a group he hated. We agree he is a bigot. Screen Glare, if a real person and not a troll (im starting to wonder), probably has more rants under his belt against a group HE hates.
Different targets, same unbridled rage.

screen glare

Post by screen glare » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:49 pm

Your word “targets” does not literally apply to Screen Glare. I would not buy, own, or shoot a gun. I would not kill any person on purpose.

The pen is mightier than the sword.

I day Write on to Fight on, brother!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic