Registrations in the queue through July 3 at 8:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WPAY

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 14990

Re: WPAY

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:06 am

yeah... it was UFT for about 3 years, then this Spanish language programing, K-love classics, back to UFT, then AFR, and now K-love classics again.



JGP1954
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Detroit Area

Re: WPAY

Post by JGP1954 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Myron Falwell wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:53 pm
JGP1954 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:37 pm
Any word, if WPAY has been bought, yet?
Nothing so far.

It's telling that EMF has been unable to unload it while every other AM station they've had to buy (as a throwaway with an FM purchase) have quickly been disposed of. They seriously don't want AM signals, and presumably have had it on the block for a decade.
I think WPAY-1520 AM has the most value, between them and the FM translaters. Granted an AM/FM combo is the better situation.



innate-in-you
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am

Re: WPAY

Post by innate-in-you » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 pm

I happened to have been driving down M-52 this afternoon, all the way to the Ohio line.
The whole way along 52, WQCT was leading, with little CCI from WPAY.
After a left turn onto Ohio 120, WQCT Continued to lead several miles eastward. When I turned left onto the street that divides Fulton and Lucas Counties, they were about even.
Going northwards on that road quickly increased the signal of WPAY, especially after crossing Mulberry (2 miles North). WPAY quickly took over.

The surprise was the signal of WDTW-AM (La Zeta 1310). It was fairly strong along M-52 in Jasper, became weaker after the O-120 turn, and nearly faded away to nothing at Sterns and Secor, gaining a little when at Lewis.

This seems counterintuitive, as the path both approaches the WDTW TL and enters azimuths with greater radiation, but follows the usual pattern when leaving flat farmland and entering sandy forests.

WBGU-TV has done an interesting show about the Oak Openings. It's an "island" of inarable land surrounded by the Great Black Swamp (which has been drained and is now productive farmland).

Anyone here made this observation around the area?
I'm thinking of doing a longer post about AM radio and the Oak Openings.



User avatar
Myron Falwell
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: WPAY

Post by Myron Falwell » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:46 am

JGP1954 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:33 pm
Myron Falwell wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:53 pm
JGP1954 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:37 pm
Any word, if WPAY has been bought, yet?
Nothing so far.

It's telling that EMF has been unable to unload it while every other AM station they've had to buy (as a throwaway with an FM purchase) have quickly been disposed of. They seriously don't want AM signals, and presumably have had it on the block for a decade.
I think WPAY-1520 AM has the most value, between them and the FM translaters. Granted an AM/FM combo is the better situation.
AM stations have no value to EMF. They sell them, if included with an FM purchase, as soon as possible. WPAY is the ONLY AM station they own.

No one has stepped up to buy 1520 when it has been readily available for a decade, and for almost a year via radio brokers. That should tell you something.


I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

fuzzpower
Posts: 758
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: WPAY

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:18 am

Doesn’t 1520 have a translator?



Deleted User 14990

Re: WPAY

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:39 pm

92.1, which is pretty much useless.



JGP1954
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Detroit Area

Re: WPAY

Post by JGP1954 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:48 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:39 pm
92.1, which is pretty much useless.
Yeah, the translator sounds bad. I don't know why, possibly is it the signal from the studios to the transmitter? Or, the quality of sound emitting from the transmitter? They wouldn't be pulling the off-air signal from the AM, and sending it over the air on the FM translator, would they? It's usually done the other way around, FM to AM.



JGP1954
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:47 am
Location: Detroit Area

Re: WPAY

Post by JGP1954 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:55 pm

One problem, and it's no surprise, WPAY has a programming issue, it's paid religion. Is it not? It's a very small niche of the program spectrum. And, there are literally hundreds of stations. Not exactly mass appeal!



User avatar
Myron Falwell
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Re: WPAY

Post by Myron Falwell » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:41 am

JGP1954 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:55 pm
One problem, and it's no surprise, WPAY has a programming issue, it's paid religion. Is it not? It's a very small niche of the program spectrum. And, there are literally hundreds of stations. Not exactly mass appeal!
WPAY is a high-band AM in a market that has almost entirely abandoned the band for FM.

Think about it. WSPD still has some audience left with their older-skewing conservatalk, but that’s about it: WCWA 1230 simply doesn’t (but is useful enough running Fox Sports Radio), WLQR 1470 is deader than dead, and 730 and 1560 have super-niche audiences with their respective operators.

In all truth, that shouldn’t be an impediment to AFR, Urban Talk Radio or even Relevant Radio... but for some reason, it is.


I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

Deleted User 14990

Re: WPAY

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:52 am

Are WLQR's still standing? They are cutting through a new subdivision, where the former 1520 site is in Temperance MI.



innate-in-you
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am

Re: WPAY

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm

JGP1954 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:48 pm
WZRC 1067 wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:39 pm
92.1, which is pretty much useless.
Yeah, the translator sounds bad. I don't know why, possibly is it the signal from the studios to the transmitter? Or, the quality of sound emitting from the transmitter? They wouldn't be pulling the off-air signal from the AM, and sending it over the air on the FM translator, would they? It's usually done the other way around, FM to AM.
Last I knew, their translator absolutely repeating the AM signal over-the-air, and doing a lousy job at that.

The receiver they were using was narrow-band. Audio quality on 1520 itself was FAR superior. When thunderstorms were in the area, I could hear thunderstorm noise on the translator.
At night, co-channel interference is clearly audible on the translator - estimated guess 1:8 ratio, worse than where I live. My guess is that the receiver for the translator is further west than here.
WPAY (AM) does not provide a strong signal to the western edge of Toledo nor to most of its western suburbs.



innate-in-you
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am

Re: WPAY

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:07 pm

WZRC 1067 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:52 am
Are WLQR's still standing? They are cutting through a new subdivision, where the former 1520 site is in Temperance MI.
Still there and still lighted. All four of them.
Why??



Deleted User 14990

Re: WPAY

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:15 am

Just wondering, isn't time they demoed those Effers?



CurlyHoward
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:50 pm

Re: WPAY

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm

Seriously, the land around those Effers must be in high demand. Splendor of 1970s suburbia with a lovely view of the Sun Oil refinery.



innate-in-you
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am

Re: WPAY

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:05 pm

CurlyHoward wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:59 pm
Seriously, the land around those Effers must be in high demand. Splendor of 1970s suburbia with a lovely view of the Sun Oil refinery.
I guess you're talking about DWLQR's towers.

WPAY's is about equidistant Toledo and BG (except it is a few miles east of I-75).

No view of the refinery nor Navarre from there.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic