Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The atrocity known as AM HD radio

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
macgoldfan

Re: The atrocity known as AM HD radio

Post by macgoldfan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:52 pm

HD-TV = success
HD-Radio=failure

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

kc8yqq

Post by kc8yqq » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:01 am

The only HD AM station that sounded good to me was KMOX 1120 (St. Louis, MO). When the HD locked in, the station had a nice rich sound almost as good as AM stereo.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm

One problem with AM HD broadcasts is that they are 500 watts or less. There is one exception though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWFD

This one particular station is 100% digital. Based on what I read it sounds like it gets out quite well. The hybrid digital mode is less than impressive on FM and a failure on AM as we know.

SolarMax

Post by SolarMax » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:27 pm

macgoldfan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:52 pm
HD-TV = success
HD-Radio=failure
To nit-pick, there is no connection between the two uses of "HD."
"HD" in television correctly signified "High Definition."
"HD" for radio in its beginning never signified anything, just capitalized on "HD" as a buzz term, letting unknowing consumers infer whatever meaning for "HD" that they wanted.
Later on, since on radio it wasn't by any stretch "High Definition," it was determined that "HD" could be "Hybrid Digital," which still sounded all tech-y and digital-y.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:49 am

Myron Falwell wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:31 pm
WZRC 1067 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:24 pm
I didn't know cars even came with HD radios.
That goes back to the overall failure of whatever PR campaigns have been used for HD Radio. When iBiquity owned the whole setup and had the patent claims to the IBOC standard, they initially had Clear Channel, CBS, Citadel and a few other groups run PSAs for HD Radio as often as possible. That only lasted about a year, and the quality of the PSAs were utterly horrific.

Car manufacturers have been including HD Radio receivers in their new models for the past year or so, but no one really talks about it beyond the industry trades. You know, tree falling in the forest but no one around blah blah blah...
Those psa's, we're actually ads. They were considered barter for paying for the iboc equipment. The stations ran the ads, and also promised that all HD radio stations would remain commercial-free for 1 year.

syntheticexctasy

Post by syntheticexctasy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:58 am

It is my opinon that the biggest problem with HD radio quality is not even the crappy bandwidth used, giving the tinny "digital" sound that xm and sirius does.....

The biggest problem in my opinion is that it seems to me like the source audio into the HD exciter is almost ALWAYS after an analog compressor. The codec handles this on it's own and does not require analog compression prior to being encoded. It makes the audio sound like garbage.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:16 pm

I can assure you that 99.9% of stations running HD are not running an analog audio processor.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Most are running audio separate audio processing path for HD.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:31 pm

SolarMax wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:04 am
Myron Falwell wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:31 pm
That goes back to the overall failure of whatever PR campaigns have been used for HD Radio. When iBiquity owned the whole setup and had the patent claims to the IBOC standard, they initially had Clear Channel, CBS, Citadel and a few other groups run PSAs for HD Radio as often as possible. That only lasted about a year, and the quality of the PSAs were utterly horrific.
Not unlike the lousy, ineffective campaign in Canada a few years ago for DAB, another lead balloon.
Canada's DAB effort died the instant that NAFTA was signed.

The US absolutely refused any system that would have allowed AM stations and FM stations to perform equally well and given WDTK coverage equal to WJR.

Tman

Post by Tman » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:32 am

All i know is when I had a HD radio installed about 13 years ago and I liked it a lot . WWJ on HD was clear . Didn't care about AM . But the HD side channels where not compressed and cleaner then basic FM quality . Has it changed since ? Yes . Bit rate wise . But it is still free and not much bit rate less as Sirius . How can you complain about that ?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic