Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Nexstar in Flap With DIRECTV and AT&T-UVerse

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Trophyhead

Nexstar in Flap With DIRECTV and AT&T-UVerse

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:46 pm

Apparently, they (WOOD and WOTV4Women) got dropped one overnight, earlier this week.

I have a small mind, but running a banner at the bottom of the screen after the fact, telling those subscribers who have lost these outlets to call a toll-free number and demand restoration doesn't make a lot of sense. How are the displaced viewers going to see this message being delivered over the air?

It's a matter that will probably get resolved through negotiations, which apparently are ongoing. It was just a ploy by the distributors to get the content provider to knuckle under.

https://www.woodtv.com/keep-woodtv/?fbc ... RwWamv2QKs

Schyster

Re: Nexstar in Flap With DIRECTV and AT&T-UVerse

Post by Schyster » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:06 pm

I've noticed WOOD and other stations in this scenario have stopped telling affected viewers they have the option to view the station for free using an antenna. Further proof as to what these standoffs are all about.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:16 pm

Or, they figured out people are just too lazy to stick an antenna up and just want to call and bitch at somebody.
At this point in time, it is common knowlege that TV stations broadcast their signals and you can see them with antennas.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:03 pm

For most stations, 30 percent to as much as 50 percent of annual revenue comes from retransmission consent fees. Granted, a good chunk of that money is then required to be remitted to NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, etc.

I will say this article appearing on woodtv.com was more informative than usual:

https://www.woodtv.com/about-us/att-dir ... nd-access/

Sounds like AT&T is playing hardball.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:18 pm

AT&T also used other pay-TV companies by name with there PR spin Nexstar did the same with the Sinclair sidecars that went dark on AT&T & DirecTV. Yeah I didn't think that Nexstar needed to roll the scroll 24/7 on July 4TH was glad that is now only rolling a couple of times per hour but AT&T & DirecTV viewers aren't seeing it other than Wood TV website.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:07 am

I can only surmise WOOD/Nexstar figured viewers would relay the info to family members or friends who are affected by the blackout.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:39 pm

Another week, and WOOD and WOTV are still off. It’s interesting that AT&T Uverse has removed both NBC and ABC from On Demand, even though there’s another ABC (WZZM) not involved in the dispute on the system. Why does one supersede the other?

format this

Post by format this » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:09 am

Musicrewired wrote:Another week, and WOOD and WOTV are still off. It’s interesting that AT&T Uverse has removed both NBC and ABC from On Demand, even though there’s another ABC (WZZM) not involved in the dispute on the system. Why does one supersede the other?
WOTV is owned by Nexstar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:07 am

Yes, Nexstar owns WOTV. I realize they operate from the same building as WOOD-TV. They’re, however, licensed to Battle Creek, which is over 60 miles away from Grand Rapids. (If you go another 30 miles or so further, you’ll find a transmitter of yet another ABC station, WLAJ, serving Lansing.)

The question is, why is ABC On Demand removed from the AT&T Uverse system in Grand Rapids if there’s a Grand Rapids ABC affiliate, WZZM, also on the system that isn’t owned by Nexstar? Their transmitter is in Grant, about 30 miles north of GR. Their studios are just outside of GR in Walker.

Why should WOTV’s affiliation with Nexstar be more important than WZZM’s non-affiliation? I thought the On Demand was for network programming, and not subject to whatever the local station shows or doesn’t show.

I understand NBC being pulled from On Demand due to WOOD TV, but having 2 ABC affiliates overlapping each other should prevent ABC from being removed altogether.

I’m also aware that ABC shows are available online, but if you’re paying for cable, who’s deciding what services are being withheld due to a monetary dispute?

Usually if topics like this are brought up to a cable company, the answer given is “someone else decides that”. The customer pays the buck, and the company passes it.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Agreed. It is rather unique for a market to have two affiliates of the same major network. Neither WOTV nor WZZM can claim exclusive access to the market. My guess is that someone at AT&T decided to pull ABC without fully researching our situation. Probably just laziness, or stupidity, on their part. If they were truly interested in serving the customer, I think they could find a way to keep ABC available on demand.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:47 am

When Charter Spectrum and WXMI Fox17 was dark for 9 days I could watch Fox OnDemand so I watched some of the shows I liked on Fox and just watched it OnDemand.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

OneBigFan

Post by OneBigFan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:03 am

Insomniac question.

How did TV stations who get their licenses from the FCC get to charge cable, streaming or satellite services for carrying their signal when anyone in the stations broadcast radius can get it over the air with an antenna? Are the rebroadcast entities inserting their own commercials?

Ask because I've been told by a former sales person for a major network Chicago affiliate they included cable viewership in their sales presentations. Until I started seeing local affiliates in this "negotiations" it appeared to be a symbiotic relationship.

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:53 am

What really needs to happen (and it won't) it a non-negotiable statutory rate between cable/satellite providers and the broadcasters. The consumer always loses in these wars; and if anything, broadcasters and their advertisers win anyway by having someone distribute their programming and commercials to the non-antenna homes.

Jason Kragt

Post by Jason Kragt » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:30 am

OneBigFan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:03 am
How did TV stations who get their licenses from the FCC get to charge cable, streaming or satellite services for carrying their signal when anyone in the stations broadcast radius can get it over the air with an antenna? Are the rebroadcast entities inserting their own commercials?
The local TV stations make the claim that the programming they offer--even when they merely relay network programming--is something of value and therefore they are entitled to compensation. Some of this dates back to the old analog days when over-the-air stations often had static or ghosting. Getting the video quality of local stations at the same level as cable channels was a big deal.

Putting up an antenna is usually not a big deal, but it is inconvenient enough to stop most people from doing it. You often have overly-aggressive homeowners associations getting in the way. People prefer the convenience of having everything provided on the same box. They will gladly pay extra for it. They don't want to have to press the "Input" button to switch between local and cable/satellite stations. Too complicated.

The satellite and cable providers could help some, but they won't. I used to have a Dish Network receiver that seamlessly integrated satellite and over-the-air signals on one DVR. That stopped these retransmission disputes from affecting me. However, I don't think those two-input DVRs are common anymore.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:01 pm

Jason Kragt wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:30 am
OneBigFan wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:03 am
The local TV stations make the claim that the programming they offer--even when they merely relay network programming--is something of value and therefore they are entitled to compensation. Some of this dates back to the old analog days when over-the-air stations often had static or ghosting. Getting the video quality of local stations at the same level as cable channels was a big deal.

Putting up an antenna is usually not a big deal, but it is inconvenient enough to stop most people from doing it. You often have overly-aggressive homeowners associations getting in the way. People prefer the convenience of having everything provided on the same box. They will gladly pay extra for it. They don't want to have to press the "Input" button to switch between local and cable/satellite stations. Too complicated.

The satellite and cable providers could help some, but they won't. I used to have a Dish Network receiver that seamlessly integrated satellite and over-the-air signals on one DVR. That stopped these retransmission disputes from affecting me. However, I don't think those two-input DVRs are common anymore.
My in-laws recently had a Televés antenna installed by their satellite providers, at no charge. The thing that surprised me was that what I had thought was a satellite-only receiver also receives ATSC terrestrial stations and integrates the terrestrial channels into the program guide.

The active antenna has two outputs - so I ran a cable from it to the TV itself. If there should be a retransmission dispute or an ice storm, Papaw can still watch the Superb Owl.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic