Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Audio processing issues at iFart's Detroit stations (92.3 & 100.3)

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Audio processing issues at iFart's Detroit stations (92.3 & 100.3)

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:03 am

WNIC's mid range still is severely lacking. This has been going on for a couple weeks. Does some ding-a-ling over there actually think the new audio processing schema sounds good?

Now, within the past few days, WMXD's processing has taken a complete shit. The station sounds muddy and extremely overprocessed, just as it did for a good chunk of the 00's.

These developments are disappointing, as I've thought all iHeart / Clear Channel stations have sounded terrific from a technical standpoint for a number of years. Is there a new Chief Engineer who's fucking things up, or is WNIC's issue due to equipment failure? (I suspect WMXD's "issues" were self-imposed by the new Brand Manager.)

As a sidenote - I also need to call out WOMC. Their audio sounds fucking horrible this morning. WOMC's intermittent audio processing issues date back several years. Why can't Tim Roberts get off his lazy ass and get it right?

Steve79

Re: Audio processing issues at iFart's Detroit stations

Post by Steve79 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:06 am

I agree. 100.3 sounds awful. I suspect equipment issues.

Ed Joseph

Re: Audio processing issues at iFart's Detroit stations (92.3 & 100.3)

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 pm

In the days of analog processing, stations generally sounded consistent unless there was a failure or the settings were refreshed. Since the advent of digital processing, pretty much all of it sounds bad IMO. A lot of that is simply abusive settings. I am convinced that a lot of current engineers do not fully understand processing and airsound. Some evidently just think that as long as the mod monitor is laying at 100% all the time that's the objective.

It's pretty sad when a part 15 station sounds incredibly better than most of it's commercial counterparts, on processing equipment saved from dumpsters.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:21 pm

I swung by WNIC on the way home today and it sounds like the audio is fairly back to "normal" (whatever the hell that is), and it no longer sounds like a low bitrate webstream played through $10 radio shack speakers.

Aside: Does iFart have ANY engineers on duty in the building? Or do they have one guy per region (like their programming dept.)?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Myron Falwell

Post by Myron Falwell » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Said engineers have probably retired with no one coming in to replace them. No one is being trained to be a broadcast engineer. That's stretching all remaining contract workers to their limit.

It's been warned about for awhile...

...it really has.

I have no need for Boring McGraphics, tyvm

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:07 pm

Ed Joseph wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:10 pm
I am convinced that a lot of current engineers do not fully understand processing and airsound. Some evidently just think that as long as the mod monitor is laying at 100% all the time that's the objective.
What is so difficult about putting on a pair of headphones plugged into a radio and adjusting the processing by ear?

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:39 am

It sounds like Star 105.7 is having the same issues. For some reason, they are booming in this morning in Brighton, and it has the same "lacking midrange and 96k webstream" audio quality that Mix has (which comes in like shit here, rarely getting the RDS) and what WNIC is back to. So it doesn't appear to be a local thing.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic