All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Network programming preemptions by individual stations

A place to discuss national and regional television and radio programming.
80sTalkRadioFan

Re: Network programming preemptions by individual stations

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Yeah, I'm sure it upset some people. Really hoping the FCC does away with these network non-duplication/syndicated exclusivity rules, soon!

mtburb
Location: Wyandotte, 17 miles from Southfield, 38 miles from Oregon

Post by mtburb » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:18 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:30 pm
Yeah, I'm sure it upset some people. Really hoping the FCC does away with these network non-duplication/syndicated exclusivity rules, soon!
I'm hoping they do too, even though they've been saying they're doing away with those rules since like...2015?, and even if the Cable Reform Act of 1996 still prevents the Toledo commercial network stations from popping up on any cable systems in and near Detroit.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

Current setup: Antennas Direct C2Max (2018-present)

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:47 pm

Fortunately, with streaming services, it's not as big a deal as it once was, but still something worth changing.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:22 am

This Friday at eight Channel 7 is premepting Fresh Of The Boat and Speechless for The WXYZ Ultimate Wedding Show. They will be repeated at 1:07 and 1:37 respectively.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Thu May 30, 2019 7:32 pm

Preemption alert on WDIV: A special about the Detroit Grand Prix will air tomorrow night in the 7 PM hour, bumping Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! to the 8 PM hour, in turn pushing the first hour of Blindspot's two-hour season finale to Me TV 4.3.

My furthest DTV tropo: KDKA Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at 202 miles for three days in January 2017 and a night in September 2017 with only an Antennas Direct C2V!

CircleWXYZ

Post by CircleWXYZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:48 pm

mtburb wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:15 pm
I decided to create this thread to discuss preemptions of network programming by individual stations past and present. Any reason for a particular preemption is allowed here.

Remember that many years ago preemptions of network programs were common in nearly every market since networks were only allowed to own a maximum single-digit number of their own affiliates.

This still happens today to a lesser extent though-a notable example today being how WDIV preempts the Macy's Parade to air the Detroit Thanksgiving Parade (which was originally sponsored by Hudson's, which ironically enough, has been converted to the Macy's nameplate), but luckily they struck a deal with WADL to air the preempted programs. I can't recall WXYZ ever using WMYD as a backup ABC affiliate since WMYD was acquired two years ago and WJBK, WKBD and WWJ are owned and operated by their respective networks, so pretty much nothing gets preempted there.

A recent example I know of was back a few months ago when WDIV preempted the first 30 minutes of a rerun of The Voice to air a half-hour special. I don't think WADL picked that up as it was just the first half-hour of a 60-minute program, but some of us were lucky enough to try pulling in WNWO, WEYI or WILX.

An example from years back was when Press Your Luck first went on the air WJBK was already airing the second half of Donahue in that timeslot and thus many interested viewers would try to get WTOL to watch it anyway. WWMT (back when they were WKZO) didn't clear it either until either January or February 1984, those dates are approximate as I saw a Press Your Luck episode on Buzzr a couple weeks back that began with Peter Tomarken welcoming WWMT into the affiliate lineup.

There were extreme cases though-at least in 1987, neither WDIV nor WTVG cleared Super Password. The closest affiliate that cleared it was WKYC, which was still at the time owned by NBC (and consequently also the closest American network-owned station, as WXYZ had just been sold to Scripps at the start of 1986).
WJBK used to preempt Fox network programming to air Lions preseason games. They did the same when it briefly aired Red Wings season games. Both happened while WJBK was and still is, a Fox O&O station.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Looks like WDIV will preempt/move NBC programming two nights this week. Tonight from 8:00 to 11:00 for the Ford Fireworks, then a replay of the fireworks Friday night from 8:00 to 10:00. I assume NBC's shows such as "American Ninja Warrior" will be moved to WDIV 4.3 METV, though their Titan TV listings show regular METV programming tonight during the fireworks.

CircleWXYZ

Post by CircleWXYZ » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:08 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm
Looks like WDIV will preempt/move NBC programming two nights this week. Tonight from 8:00 to 11:00 for the Ford Fireworks, then a replay of the fireworks Friday night from 8:00 to 10:00. I assume NBC's shows such as "American Ninja Warrior" will be moved to WDIV 4.3 METV, though their Titan TV listings show regular METV programming tonight during the fireworks.
NBC programming is on WDIV’s subchannel, MeTV tonight. WDIV airs regular NBC programming on Friday .

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Tonight, WXYZ is pushing reruns of The Conners and American Housewife to 1:07 AM-2:07 AM, and dumping The List, to air a Rocket Mortgage Classic pregame show.

mtburb

Post by mtburb » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:06 pm

A rerun of The Wall has been preempted by WDIV for infomercials. It's not being bumped anywhere either.

mvcg66b3r

Post by mvcg66b3r » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:26 pm

mtburb wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:06 pm
A rerun of The Wall has been preempted by WDIV for infomercials. It's not being bumped anywhere either.
So it's a rerun.

F-Squared

Post by F-Squared » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:05 pm

mvcg66b3r wrote: So it's a rerun.
Yeah. It was brought up because it's during primetime and that's kinda significant. In my eyes that says a lot about a station's financial situation if they're willing to put paid programming on during primetime hours.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:45 pm

F-Squared wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:05 pm
mvcg66b3r wrote: So it's a rerun.
Yeah. It was brought up because it's during primetime and that's kinda significant. In my eyes that says a lot about a station's financial situation if they're willing to put paid programming on during primetime hours.
As discussed on the Detroit board, the "paid programming" on WDIV was a Smile Train special, featuring third world kids with deformed lips. Such charity and religious specials, especially from Billy Graham, Oral Roberts, World Vision and St. Jude's, were commonplace through the 1990s.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:59 am

A couple preemptions of note this week. First, looks like WDIV Local 4 has paid programming from 8 to 9 pm tonight (Thursday August 15) preempting another rerun of NBC's "The Wall." Then on Saturday, WXYZ 7 will delay ABC's rerun of a live performance of "The Jeffersons" and "All In The Family" until 11:30 pm, due to 7's coverage of the Woodward Dream Cruise from 7 to 9 pm. Finally, another Detroit Lions preseason game this Saturday on WJBK Fox 2 in Detroit and WUPW Fox 36 in Toledo, among other stations. Hoping the Lions put on a better performance than last week.

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:27 pm

80sTalkRadioFan wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:59 am
A couple preemptions of note this week. First, looks like WDIV Local 4 has paid programming from 8 to 9 pm tonight (Thursday August 15) preempting another rerun of NBC's "The Wall."
"Smile Train" again?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic