Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Unique Radio Experiences

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mega Hertz

Re: Unique Radio Experiences

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:01 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:44 pm
Receiving KUHF out of Texas in July of 2010. One minute I hear 89x, then something fighting it. Suddenly, I hear classical music and think "yep. Another rock station bites the dust". But when I went into my music room, the display said KUHF, and even had an HD lock. I managed to get a short video, which is linked below. At the time, I was living at Clinton River and Schoenherr in Sterling Heights. To this day, I have never received such a faraway signal on FM on a standard radio receiver.

https://youtu.be/_1rwPLb-tOU

I love Sporadic-E skip. I was up in Honor, MI during the legendary 7/171980 opening. KUHF dominated the channel for four hours that day/evening.

It's getting harder to DX the FM broadcast band, because the band is so full of stations nowadays.

Sporadic-E is more frequent on the Low-VHF TV channels (2-6) than it is on FM.
I think what made it even cooler was that I'd never had a catch like that, before or since. And it was on a standard Sangean HD radio, no special equipment. No special antenna or anything. Of course, where I live now, I get stations from all over, so I'm not sure what kind of luck I would have. That's what that was...dumb luck.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks,65memories. I thought the station was CJOM,but mistakenly typed CJaM .Another seniordom thrill .( Sometimes bad memory.)

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:11 am

Spot on,65memories. CJOM WAS our answer to WABX,though with CanCon regulations. (And no Ron Cameron supplying analysis of Pistons games ala 'ABX !!!!)

Kratos429

Post by Kratos429 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Being 15, a sophomore in high school, and spending my lunch hour alternating between being on air and rushing to a nearby classroom to glean new information off the television on what was happening on 9/11 (internet was basically not working with any news sites). (WSDP 88.1 Plymouth-Canton) I couldn't even pronounce Taliban (I think I said Tally-ban).

18 years later I am still really proud of the work I did along with Station Manager Bill Keith (still there and 28 years into his WSDP career) and Program Director Jake (now Program Director and on air at 94.9 in Cincinnati).

Mr.Transistor

Post by Mr.Transistor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:50 pm

I was a junior back at the college radio station. It was a Friday night, wrapping up my shift and had a couple of girls on that were promoting their local band. Well needless to say my aprtment was 5 minutes away from the station, we went back for drinks and fun..... and fun it was with 2 of 'em.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:55 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:
Receiving KUHF out of Texas in July of 2010. One minute I hear 89x, then something fighting it. Suddenly, I hear classical music and think "yep. Another rock station bites the dust". But when I went into my music room, the display said KUHF, and even had an HD lock. I managed to get a short video, which is linked below. At the time, I was living at Clinton River and Schoenherr in Sterling Heights. To this day, I have never received such a faraway signal on FM on a standard radio receiver.

I love Sporadic-E skip. I was up in Honor, MI during the legendary 7/171980 opening. KUHF dominated the channel for four hours that day/evening.

It's getting harder to DX the FM broadcast band, because the band is so full of stations nowadays.

KUHF would be pretty much impossible in Honor even during strong Es now as WIAA owns that frequency

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:54 am

Nov.30,1980,I spoke to the MC5's Wayne Kramer on WWWW's "Rockline," hosted by the late Bob Coburn .

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:07 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:55 pm
innate-in-you wrote:
Mega Hertz wrote:

KUHF would be pretty much impossible in Honor even during strong Es now as WIAA owns that frequency
They were on 88.3 back then, 100kw, but on a short tower, in Interlochen itself.
First time I saw a broadcast transmitter. I asked if the long metal shift was the RF output tube. I was told it was the transmission line - that was real power!

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:56 pm

borderboy653659200 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:08 am
Thanks,65memories. I thought the station was CJOM,but mistakenly typed CJaM .Another seniordom thrill .( Sometimes bad memory.)
borderboy653659200 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:54 am
Nov.30,1980,I spoke to the MC5's Wayne Kramer on WWWW's "Rockline," hosted by the late Bob Coburn .
Windsor had both a CJOM and a CJAM at one time.

They still have both a CKLW and a CKWW.

Years ago, Cuba shuffled all the broadcast call signs in the country, replacing them with the third letter denoting the province the station is in.

CMQ and CMW are as lost to history as WOW and WCX.

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:36 am

There’s so many memories for me..... always as a listener.

Very few on the other side of the mic, mainly because I did a “closed circuit show” at the Boys n Girls club in NorthEast Detroit spinning my own 45’s and a few of the clubs vinyl.

I digress....

I was raised to “listen to the am” and heard such greats as Wolfman Jack, JP McCarthy, Jay Roberts, and others....all thru this little tiny box. Some of those were local.... some were faraway and well past my bedtime.

I got to visit wjr’s studio....probably when I was about 5-6 and we sat in on JP’s “Focus” show during the noon lunch time slot. I sat in on one of Dick Purtans shows when he n his People were at WCZY-fm in oak park.

Listening.... oh I heard faraway places like Chicago, Cincinnati, New York, St. Louis, and others.

My first trip to Florida in 1996 I wanted to see if the “rumor” about WJR was true.... and sure enough, west coast of FL I could get it (Homosassa) but not so much the middle of the state (Gainesville / Ocala) where I heard Spanish on am760.

The Hurricane Of 2005 where WWL out of NOLA was heartbreaking. I could feel the pain of the people there.... just thru the radio. They had “emergency boosted” the power to the signal so it could be heard “practically across the country”.

Walking into a RadioShack the first time and the excitement of “AM Stereo”.....

Later working there and wondering why we didn’t still have those radios.... later learning from The Buzzboard that there “still” is no standard for it.

Growing up in Detroit.... spending summers in Leamington Ontario..... moving the dial “just a bit” to realign with CHYR and their 710khz days, 730khz nights “flip” and listening to “The Big 8, CKLW....the motor cityyyyyyyy” jingle to get my fill of the 1970’s music scene.
Wearing out the digits in the phone for “298-6080 from Detroit”.... for contest lines.

Lots of good listener memories..... too many to list right now but yeah.... good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RayQix

Post by RayQix » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:42 am

And yes..... 9/11 and the feed from WCBS coming thru on WWJ. ;,-(

The less scary time a couple years later when the NorthEast Blackout happened.

That day I dug out my CB radio and was able to talk many many more miles with a normal rig because of the lack of electrical interference from us all being in the dark on a moonlit nite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:50 am

During the 2003 blackout, did some far out of town (100+ miles) FM stations come in due to all the locals being off?

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:42 am

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:50 am
During the 2003 blackout, did some far out of town (100+ miles) FM stations come in due to all the locals being off?
I remember that blackout. I was lucky enough to have a portable generator back then.

The Detroit stations were, by and large, still on, sometimes having technical glitches resulting in open carriers.

That same night, there was a tropspheric opening. WKBW TV 7 from Buffalo at 260 miles was stronger than WXYZ at 50 miles.

For anyone interested in abnormal VHF UHF reception, I think you should check the WTFDA website and forums.

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:44 pm

In the summer of 1978, Ted Nugent was on one of the rock stations promoting a concert he was doing that evening at Cobo (which I saw). The radio host asked him how he felt about the Detroit riots from 11 years earlier. Nugent said he was living in another state at the time and said, "My first reaction was one of pride. All right, Detroit! Then I heard later how bad it was."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic