Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Unique Radio Experiences

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 15050

Re: Unique Radio Experiences

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:44 pm
Receiving KUHF out of Texas in July of 2010. One minute I hear 89x, then something fighting it. Suddenly, I hear classical music and think "yep. Another rock station bites the dust". But when I went into my music room, the display said KUHF, and even had an HD lock. I managed to get a short video, which is linked below. At the time, I was living at Clinton River and Schoenherr in Sterling Heights. To this day, I have never received such a faraway signal on FM on a standard radio receiver.

https://youtu.be/_1rwPLb-tOU
Incredible catch!

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:44 pm

KC wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:39 pm
The summer of 1969 the first time I listened to Underground Rock or Progressive Rock (as it was called back then) on WABX 99.5 and WKNR 100.3 this was totally the best radio to hear in my youth I was only 14 years old and thought I discovered a new world of different music.
I know what you're saying. My family moved to Michigan in 1977 when I was 18 and fully primed to discover Detroit rock radio—WABX, WRIF, WWWW. WABX was my favorite.

Deleted User 15050

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm
Mike Halloran was an awful lot of fun to listen to. He was a favorite of Fred Jacobs. Not many people can trash a studio with a fire extinguisher and become a program director on the other end of the country.

Martin Bandyke was great earlier in his career on Dimensions at WDET.
Mike Halloran was a great Dude in the 80’s and actually did a lot for new music in that era.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:49 pm

Bobbert wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:41 pm
Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45 pm
I was listening to WKAR-AM one afternoon before heading into work. I forgot to turn off the radio before I left my apartment.

When I got home after midnight, WWL from New Orleans was blasting in. There was nothing unusual about that, but Louisiana was getting blasted by a hurricane. Regular programming, The Charlie Douglas Road Gang, was tossed out the window in favor of weather and safety announcements, lists of shelters, places where food and water wer available, etc. I stayed up until sunrise listening.
I remember something similar when the earthquake hit San Francisco in 1989 during the World Series. I think either WJR or WWJ switched over to KGO out of San Francisco.
With WKAR-AM off the air at local sundown, WWL was a regular catch. I wonder if they were on some kind of emergency authorization--or if that would have made any difference in the state irst place. This probably happened in 1979 but might have been 1980.

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:09 am

For a lot of years I lived in a small Ontario town with only one radio station, an AM. Unless you were into DXing it was THE radio station. The high lite of their day was the funeral announcements. Every day during the noon hour, they would play creepy organ music and read off the names of everyone who had died in the community that day and a list of their surviving relatives.

I knew a guy who was an announcer at the station. He said one of their favourite tricks was to gather outside the booth where the person was reading the announcements and try to make him laugh. One day when he had been assigned to read it, someone came in with a cigarette lighter and set his notes on fire. He had to read quickly that day.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

mikemach

Post by mikemach » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:20 am

Greg St. James was one of the guys who started 89X. Before that he was a DJ at WRIF. I remember driving home late one night from my girlfriend's house listening to WRIF. Greg was signing off for the night but hinted he was done at WRIF and moving on to something much different. On his way out the door of his last shift at WRIF he played "I Wanna Be Sedated" by The Ramones.

Also I'll never forget listening to Drew and Mike on 09/11/01 for obvious reasons, I was listening when the first plane hit.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am

Bobbert,next Monday is the 25th anniversary of the slow speed Bronco chase . (Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of Ron and Nicole's murder .)

Turkeytop

Post by Turkeytop » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:05 pm

A night in March 2004. A cold rain pouring outside. I was in a hotel room at Toronto airport and feeling bored Holiday Inn, Toronto Airport. Do you know it? If you don't, you know a hundred others just like it. Sam wallpaper, same spread on the bed, same pictures, same cheap clock radio beside the bed.

Didn't want to go out, because of the weather so I was trying to decide between looking for hidden pictures in the stains on the ceiling or maybe having a go at the Gideon Bible in the drawer. Then I just remembered that it was Saturday night and one of my favourite DX programs was on the radio that night. I always carry a portable short wave radio when I travel.

At the end of the program the host, Kim Andrew Elliot, announced that it was his last program. He ended tho show by playing the song Time, by the Poso Seco Singers. Those who know it know it has a haunting melody and lyrics. It did nothing to lift my melancholy mood that night.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.

szmigiel

Post by szmigiel » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 pm

I found the interview with Mike Halloran where he talks about Radio's in Motion, mostly about his time with WDET. I was too young to remember his early shows in the late 70's, but from 83 on I think Mike Halloran introduced me to much of my favorite bands and songs.
http://detroitpunkarchive.com/media/wde ... in-motion/

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:27 am

In Nov.1974,I met WKNR's Jerry Goodwin (who was stoned out of his gourd) while he was DJing at long-defunct Windsor station CJAM . Wolverine kicker Mike Lantry's missed field goal gave Ohio State the win over Michigan that Saturday,and Goodwin had WJR on in the background ,listening to the game as he spun records and talked to me.

65memories

Post by 65memories » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:28 pm

Borderboy...Goodwin was at CJOM, not CJAM. CJOM, I think, was Canada's answer to WABX.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:58 pm

sfpcc wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 am
Hearing Laurie Anderson's O Superman on WRIF's Rock Cafe.

Listening to Marquette's WDMJ's brief, (1988/1989) Classic Rock programming. It sounded like no AOR station I will ever hear again, (mostly 70's and 60's, very little 80's, more Van Morrison,Guess Who and Robin Trower than you will ever hear anywhere.) Basically it was the most uncorporate song list I have ever heard.
WDMJ. You mean AM 1320, or was there a WDMJ-FM then?

If not, an AM Classic Rock was a rare animal indeed (though WFAA was one of the first to try it, complete with AM stereo).

As for WDMJ, they would go through tough times, operating on 280 watts to save on electricity under STA to avert paying for their licensed 5,000.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:44 pm
Receiving KUHF out of Texas in July of 2010. One minute I hear 89x, then something fighting it. Suddenly, I hear classical music and think "yep. Another rock station bites the dust". But when I went into my music room, the display said KUHF, and even had an HD lock. I managed to get a short video, which is linked below. At the time, I was living at Clinton River and Schoenherr in Sterling Heights. To this day, I have never received such a faraway signal on FM on a standard radio receiver.

https://youtu.be/_1rwPLb-tOU

I love Sporadic-E skip. I was up in Honor, MI during the legendary 7/171980 opening. KUHF dominated the channel for four hours that day/evening.

It's getting harder to DX the FM broadcast band, because the band is so full of stations nowadays.

Sporadic-E is more frequent on the Low-VHF TV channels (2-6) than it is on FM.

sfpcc

Post by sfpcc » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:30 pm

[quote=innate-in-you post_id=575841 time=1560704325 user_id=14794]
[quote=sfpcc post_id=575384 time=1560312535 user_id=4168]
Hearing Laurie Anderson's O Superman on WRIF's Rock Cafe.

Listening to Marquette's WDMJ's brief, (1988/1989) Classic Rock programming. It sounded like no AOR station I will ever hear again, (mostly 70's and 60's, very little 80's, more Van Morrison,Guess Who and Robin Trower than you will ever hear anywhere.) Basically it was the most uncorporate song list I have ever heard.
[/quote]

WDMJ. You mean AM 1320, or was there a WDMJ-FM then?

If not, an AM Classic Rock was a rare animal indeed (though WFAA was one of the first to try it, complete with AM stereo).

As for WDMJ, they would go through tough times, operating on 280 watts to save on electricity under STA to avert paying for their licensed 5,000.
[/quote]

It was AM. As far as I know it was the only AM Rock station I've ever heard.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:51 pm

I also caught WWL out of NO after Hurricane Katrina. It was after 4am, and they were still on the air. They were taking calls from whomever was out there, discussing what that person was seeing or experiencing, and answering questions as to what to do and where to go for assistance. It was reminiscent of small-town radio, and fascinating to listen to. I hated to see the sunrise come that morning.

I also recall years earlier at a small-town AM station where they played an entire album on a weekday afternoon, sponsored by a local business. I had just stopped in to see the station, and the DJ named Dave let me sit in the studio as we talked. I remember him flipping the album over to play side 2, and I think it was just silence on the air as he did - I don’t think they went to a break there, for some reason.

The small local stations were where it seemed most like the radio was both fun and relevant.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic