Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

It's finally happened!!!

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

It's finally happened!!!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Within the past week or two, WRIF has added multiple songs from the band Incubus into rotation. :)

I like most songs by Incubus, so I'm rather pleased by this development!

I believe this marks the first time in many years WRIF has played the band. There was an embargo on Incubus airplay for what must've been at least 12 or 13 years, in response to the band abruptly canceling a co-headliner appearance at what was supposed to be a WRIF-branded concert at the Palace of Auburn Hills. Instead, the band decided to play "X-Fest" at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which was scheduled the same day as the WRIF show.

TC Talks

Re: It's finally happened!!!

Post by TC Talks » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:20 pm

On behalf of the Buzzboard, we are so very happy for you.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:33 pm

My thoughts exactly.

I heard Drive while on my way home yesterday and couldn't believe it. Incubus should have been a shoe-in for WRIF programming. But it was my understanding that they ditched the Riff show for an 89x show, and Podell swore he'd never play them. But the Indy show is plausible, too.

Now, let's get them to delve into S.C.I.E.N.C.E a little bit ;)
Last edited by Mega Hertz on Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:34 pm

:razz
Thanks, TC Talks.

Mega - they ditched WRIF for (the now defunct) WRZX in Indianapolis, not 89X. I am 100% certain of my recollection of that fact. X103 at the time did a massive annual concert at the speedway.

Sirius XM plays material from the S.C.I.E.N.C.E. album on a regular basis. Yet another example as to why Sirius XM's rock, alternative & metal channels are superior to anything on lame FM radio!

Speaking of the Indianapolis radio situation, Cumulus on Memorial Day weekend brought back Active Rock to the market, a few years after iFart despicably morphed X103 into "Alt 103.3."

My prediction is the new 93.9X will earn higher ratings than Alt 103.3 by August. Alt's numbers have been a slide over the past several months, like many similarly formatted stations across the country. A lot of Entercom's alternative stations are posting terrible ratings, too, including the legendary KROQ.

JLesinski

Post by JLesinski » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 pm

I have also noticed that WRIF's playlist has been expanded. Good for them. I find my button landing on them more and more lately. Maybe someone is listening to us?

Jacques Strap

Post by Jacques Strap » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:33 pm
. Incubus should have been a shoe-in for WRIF programming.

That would be shoo-in. :hat

You don't have to be a good sport, to be a mad one.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:29 am

Jacques Strap wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:32 pm
Mega Hertz wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:33 pm
. Incubus should have been a shoe-in for WRIF programming.

That would be shoo-in. :hat
You can't blame me for auto correct, but you CAN blame me for not paying attention very well ;)

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 3751

Post by Deleted User 3751 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:00 am

I believe Doug Podell was the one who banned Incubus because of them blowing off the event, correct me if I'm wrong.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:19 am

No correction necessary, as you are correct. :)

Silvio Dante

Post by Silvio Dante » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:36 am

I remember hearing from a credible source that Murray Brookshaw at 89X told the Incubus people that he would never play them again if they played the WRIF show. Also, ticket sales for that show stunk, they were not big enough to be playing the Palace at that time.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Why dilute the quality of your own product over something so trivial?

Incubus at that time would've been a more important band for 89X to play than for WRIF to play.

Brookshaw for quite a while was playing garbage from No Doubt (long after the band abandoned any semblance of being a rock group) and Avril Lavigne on his station!! LOL.

I think shitty ticket sales and the opportunity to play an incredible show in Indianapolis were the reasons, not alleged threats from an also-ran station in Windsor, ON.

lidoshuffle

Post by lidoshuffle » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:06 pm

Haven't listened to WRIF since Drew And Mike were dumped for Dork & Chuck The F*ck...and TBH, it's not the WRIF I listened to back in my days of debauchery and endless weekend tirades at local bars...carry on....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic