Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Matt Shepard as the new Tiger play-by-play TV voice..

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Mr.Transistor

Re: Matt Shepard as the new Tiger play-by-play TV voice..

Post by Mr.Transistor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:10 am

iloveblackpeople wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 pm
There's no way he's going to be able to do a daily morning radio show while doing play-by-play for the tigers. The show will likely go by the wayside. Nobody's listening anyway. At most he would do it during the offseason only.
I don't know how he will be able to do that either, perhaps he will have some fill ins while he's on the road etc. I just discovered his show a couple months ago, it's actually pretty good. I would rather listen to his show than anything that 97.1 puts out there.

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:33 pm

I worked with Matt briefly in college radio. His enthusiasm stood out to me then, and I've enjoyed his work of late, including the sub work on the Tigers broadcasts. I'm looking forward to his broadcasts this season, even with the prospect of another year of the great rebuild.

Congratulations are in order, and maybe I'll send a message along to him some time if I can find any photos from back in the day, provided they still exist.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:20 am

Yeah,Musicrewired,and it's too bad Shep can't also replace the Daffiness Boys Dickerson and Price as well !!!!!

wtfdetroit

Post by wtfdetroit » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:44 pm

I was listening to Sean Baligian this morning for the first time in years. I like Sean and always did but my god is his show boring. It's like Kirk Gibson doing a radio show sounding monotone for 3 hours. We got the Stanley Cup and NBA Finals and you're talking about the Tigers for an hour? He needs a co-host to breath some life into that show because Solo Sean is the worst radio you can listen too.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:11 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:44 pm
I was listening to Sean Baligian this morning for the first time in years. I like Sean and always did but my god is his show boring. It's like Kirk Gibson doing a radio show sounding monotone for 3 hours. We got the Stanley Cup and NBA Finals and you're talking about the Tigers for an hour? He needs a co-host to breath some life into that show because Solo Sean is the worst radio you can listen too.

Probably costs too much. Baligian is (I’m guessing) hired by the company that pays for the airtime.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 pm

"X's and Bros?????" I like Baligian,but dude's about 55."BROS????" Does he think he's Jim Rome ??? (Plus,though I haven't seen a picture of him,I hear dude's not exactly great-looking !!!!)

Momo

Post by Momo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:21 am

wtfdetroit, if you think Solo Sean is the worst radio you can listen to, for your consideration, may I recommend you give Ron Cameron a listen? By comparison, you’ll think Sean’s the second coming of Paul Harvey.

iloveblackpeople

Post by iloveblackpeople » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 pm

wtfdetroit wrote:
I knew 105.1 was doomed when they allowed Sean to geek out on OHL hockey. Talk about boring radio. Hockey is terrible anyway but to sit there and devote an entire hour show to low-level hockey is just the ultimate in programming blunders.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:42 am

wtfdetroit wrote:
I enjoyed Gibby on "The Locker Room" during his initial run as Tigers analyst with Josh Lewin. I still like him, but I agree that his illness has definitely turned up the monotone. Kinda sad.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 am

Yeah,DAC,and Gibby has transformed himself from borderline jerk to good guy,as even Ron Cameron admits .
Hopefully,Gibby will have a long run as an analyst .

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:25 pm

I'm stunned that no nationally renowned play-by-play man wanted the Tigers job! What's not to like about calling games for arguably the worst team in Major League Baseball and working in a "beautiful" city such as Detroit?

I thought for sure Lynn Henning and Carlos Monarrez's predictions would come true! :lol

(The other candidates were so unremarkable that the team wound up promoting the pre/post-game studio host to fill the role.)

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:20 pm

There are several minor league announcers that would have done a better job than Shepard has so far. I wonder how many even applied?

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:12 pm

I was really hoping for Don Orsillo. Super talented. I don't know what the Red Sox were thinking when they let him go.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic