Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
CK-722

Re: 94.5 The Q - new format is Adult Album Alternative

Post by CK-722 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:34 am

The Valley City has a brand new Q.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Zack, if they really wanted to recognize heritage, they would bring back Mandatory Metallica, the Tool Rule, Ticket Window Wednesday, and the hard rock format many of us loved!

GRD sounds like shit. Tons of milquetoast butt rock. Too little of the good stuff. I was completely wrong about the new PD. While his on air skills are good, his song choices suck ass.

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:16 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:17 pm
Zack, if they really wanted to recognize heritage, they would bring back Mandatory Metallica, the Tool Rule, Ticket Window Wednesday, and the hard rock format many of us loved!
I suggest you visit and listen to www.wjjo.com often and forget about this fantasy of yours. lol!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:33 am

So, the Q has been around for just over two months and they don't even have 1,000 FB likes yet.

Posts from the station seeking to engage the listeners in discussion sometimes have two comments, one comment, or even no comments at all!

I have a feeling this station is going to prove to be a ratings dud. 105.3 Snot FM is getting clobbered by WSNX. Moving the Country format from 94.5 to 107.3 was risky and will likely result in a complete loss of the ratings momentum WTNR was starting to see.

A rhythmic throwbacks format would've been the way to go. Could've done major ratings damage to WSNX.

https://www.facebook.com/theQ945/

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:16 pm

Yes, I am completely underwhelmed by this bland "different" Q. I put it on my car presets, but I will be changing that very soon.

Boring. Boring. Boring. Once in a while will I hear an "oh wow" song. Otherwise, it's boring as all hell. The on-air people (are they canned?) are bland if not bad.

It could have been so much more.

Who's in charge of this underachiever?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:52 pm

If they are trying to go after the diversity of w y c e which I understand does pretty well, the mix they have built is pretty pathetic.

A well curated AAA station pairs nicely with NPR listeners. But Community stations like wyce have figured this out and filled that Gap. That is why you don't see a strong Community station in Denver, kbco is doing well with that listener.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:19 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:33 am
So, the Q has been around for just over two months and they don't even have 1,000 FB likes yet.

Posts from the station seeking to engage the listeners in discussion sometimes have two comments, one comment, or even no comments at all!

I have a feeling this station is going to prove to be a ratings dud. 105.3 Snot FM is getting clobbered by WSNX. Moving the Country format from 94.5 to 107.3 was risky and will likely result in a complete loss of the ratings momentum WTNR was starting to see.

A rhythmic throwbacks format would've been the way to go. Could've done major ratings damage to WSNX.

https://www.facebook.com/theQ945/
Sad for a top 100 market station to not even have 750 likes two months after launching! Heck, Eagle 101.5 Manistee has more FB likes!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:43 pm

A well curated AAA station pairs nicely with NPR listeners.
Do you believe 94.5 The Q fails this test?

I listened to about 25 minutes worth of the station over the past two days and was actually quite impressed by the music selection.

Jock wise - Stiller (who I enjoy listening to on WLAV) does not sound that great on 94.5. He sounds like a classic rock jock trying to do AAA.

A female personality I heard late yesterday afternoon - ID'ing as Kelly - did sound pretty good. I don't believe it was Kelly Brown from 107.1 in Ann Arbor, but I may be mistaken.

Also of note, a stopset around 2:30 this afternoon was completely empty. Not good. The station was supposed to be running commercials but evidently had none to run.

http://wklq.tunegenie.com/

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:39 am

Also of note, a stopset around 2:30 this afternoon was completely empty. Not good. The station was supposed to be running commercials but evidently had none to run.
Also happening on weekends, almost every break. No complaints here. haha.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:06 pm

I wonder how good (or not) the ad sales are coming along?

94.5 has finally cracked 1,000 Facebook likes. Took them almost four months to accomplish what the new 93.9 in Indianapolis accomplished in just two weeks.

Music wise, 94.5 is arguably the most adventurous commercial Triple A station I've heard! They certainly play much more non-mainstream music than WXRT, WTTS, Cities 97 and the now defunct KGSR.

zackeast

Post by zackeast » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:48 am

I'm more of an Alt rock guy, modern rock guy, but I love this station. If anything, I'd maybe like more dry segs between songs and less jock talk between.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:42 pm

I hear a bit more ads on that station.

riggs

Post by riggs » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:52 pm

zackeast wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:48 am
I'm more of an Alt rock guy, modern rock guy, but I love this station. If anything, I'd maybe like more dry segs between songs and less jock talk between.
I get that, but when a station is new, they can't say the station name enough, probably at some point in the future there will be more dry segues. The imaging is pretty short and to the point and instead of hitting you with jarring and loud SFX, they keep it low key enough to not beat down the music.

And someone mentioned CIties 97. I never considered that station a Triple A. They were a Hot AC that wanted to pretend to be a Triple A and their PD influenced several stations which really skewed the charts away from what the format is supposed to be. CC wanted to make the Ann Arbor Triple A into a Cities clone. That would have bombed in Ann Arbor.

Sidney sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some fucking thing

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 pm

I completely agree with you, Riggs, regarding Cities 97.

Cities 97 was a real Triple A until late 90's (they were unmistakably Triple A in 1994 when I first heard the station)...then they become Modern AC and then Hot AC outright. They even joined some Hot AC reporting panels. I presume iFart / Clear Channel took the station in a very Hot AC direction to try to steal some thunder from KS 95. For a while, Cities posted very decent numbers with that approach.

About a year ago, KTCZ abandoned the pure Hot AC position and became a wishy-washy Modern AC with a few AAA overtones again, not unlike 93.9 The River in Windsor/Detroit.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic