Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

2019 Detroit Tigers

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: 2019 Detroit Tigers

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 27, 2019 7:02 pm

A lot of the rumor mill folks were saying Mr. I's guy was Gardenhire, not Ausmus.

Avila didn't wait for the deadline to move JD. He traded him a full week prior to the deadline, as I recall.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon May 27, 2019 9:57 pm

Yep, it was at least a week before. I remember thinking he should have waited until that day when teams are more desperate. The prospects they got in return didn’t seem like enough.

A loss to Baltimore and a KC win means they could end up at the bottom of the division by the end of the week. Those are the only teams in the AL with a worse record.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Tue May 28, 2019 4:45 am

fuzzpower wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:02 pm
How long before Ronny Rodriguez is sent packing? The guy swings at everything, and can’t field to save his life. It’s not just this recent stretch- his fielding was bad in Toledo last year as well.
Let's face it, for a while Rodriguez was the only reliable bat in the entire line-up; he's still second on the club in RBIs and leads the team in homers! During that stretch he was making some good plays at SS replacing the injured Mercer. Lately, however, his fielding has become absolutely cringe worthy! :barf I want fielders who can be counted on to make routine plays look routine. And yes, pitchers should now know that it would be foolish to even consider throwing him a hittable pitch with two strikes. A decision will have to be made upon Mercer's return -- Rodriguez may be sent packing as Brandon Dixon is hitting over .300 and Beckham's veteran dependability at all infield positions is valuable. We'll see.

I'm wondering how long we stick with Josh Harrison at 2B; he hasn't hit above the Mendoza line all season! Apparently he's playing hurt; he couldn't even get up off the ground to cover second base after diving for a grounder up the middle yesterday. That grounder up the middle turned into a double! :rolleyes

Speaking of the Mendoza line, JaCoby Jones just crossed above it. That's one less starter batting below it. :razz

(Edit)
MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:02 pm
Avila didn't wait for the deadline to move JD. He traded him a full week prior to the deadline, as I recall.
fuzzpower wrote:Yep, it was at least a week before. I remember thinking he should have waited until that day when teams are more desperate. The prospects they got in return didn’t seem like enough.
I had to look it up, but there wasn't a single right-handed slugger traded up to the very last second of the non-waiver trade deadline that year. Not even a lefty slugger, for that matter, unless you want to count Lucas Duda or Yonder Alonso. No team was "desperate" for a player like Martinez, everyone wanted pitching! Even the waiver trade deadline a month later had a hitter like the Tigers' Justin Upton yield only a no-name minor leaguer in trade. One and two-month hitting rentals who'll likely command megabucks in free agency are simply not a valuable trade commodity. Avila probably recognized he got the best deal for Martinez he would ever get and pounced.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Justin Upton was garbage. JD Martinez was the prize, and I still believe the Tigers could have picked up more. He was the best hitter available at that deadline.

Willi Castro is hitting very well lately in Toledo, but his fielding at short is far from good. Harold Castro was up briefly, but is more of a utility guy. He may not be a bad stopgap. You don’t want Pete Kozma back. Dawel Lugo has been hitting, but like so many, fielding issues. It’s time to cut bait with Rodriguez. Maybe you could trade him for something small.

I haven’t checked Erie much other than Mize. He had another gem a couple games ago. I wonder if they plan on leaving him in Erie until September, or the plan is to get him to face some older hitters in Toledo.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Wed May 29, 2019 5:22 pm

fuzzpower wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:09 pm
Justin Upton was garbage.
Often frustratingly streaky, but hardly "garbage".
He's averaged 28 HR and 89 RBI per 162 games over his career with an .826 OPS, but also 171 strikeouts. He's currently out with turf toe.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:39 am

Upton was underappreciated.

Our local media seem to be doing a full court press to be kissing the Tigers' organization asses these past few days. The hysteria over their first round draft selection is vomit inducing. They must all want to demonstrate their loyalty to Chris following the wave of critical editorials about the Ilitch Organization published by the Detroit News.

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:12 pm

They are getting their asses handed to them this afternoon.... 9-1 in the top of the 6th.

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:30 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:39 am
Our local media seem to be doing a full court press to be kissing the Tigers' organization asses these past few days. The hysteria over their first round draft selection is vomit inducing. They must all want to demonstrate their loyalty to Chris following the wave of critical editorials about the Ilitch Organization published by the Detroit News.
It was the same back in the moribund Randy Smith days. Remember Eric Munson, Matt Wheatland, Kenny Baugh and the like? All were hyped to an almost ridiculous degree when drafted as the parent club was foundering. When winning isn't a reasonable option, the best marketing strategy is "Hope springs eternal".

Back in the '70s when the Tigers were in an aging post-World Series/playoff phase under Ralph Houk, I remember shortstop prospect Tom Veryzer being hyped as the next Honus Wagner!

- Sydney J. Harris

originalzzmfmjock

Post by originalzzmfmjock » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:42 pm

As for Mr. I wanting to hire Gardenhire, not Ausmus. That may be true, but I believe at the time Gardenhire was still under contract and managing the Twins. Of course, there may have been ways around that too. Whatever the case is, Detroit and the state of Michigan are now watching probably the worst Tigers team since 2003.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Eric Munson... that brings back terrible memories. Throw in Nate Cornejo as well.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:04 pm

originalzzmfmjock wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:42 pm
As for Mr. I wanting to hire Gardenhire, not Ausmus. That may be true, but I believe at the time Gardenhire was still under contract and managing the Twins. Of course, there may have been ways around that too. Whatever the case is, Detroit and the state of Michigan are now watching probably the worst Tigers team since 2003.
I’m a diehard Tigers fan. Bought new license plates for all my vehicles with the old English D on them. Tigers stuff on and in our house everywhere. Easily have 40 Tigers tees that I wear. We watch every single Tigers game on TV if we’re home. Even went down to see them a few times during the 119 loss season in 2003.

That being said, this team is a glorified AAA team currently - but it wasn’t supposed to be that way. 4 out of the 5 starters we had scheduled at the beginning of the year are on the IL, with 2 of them out for the season. Our bullpen is a dumpster fire because of injuries also. Our SS and 2B duo from the Pirates are also on the IL, along with our third baseman. Miggy has been regaled to DH for the rest of the season.

What do you expect then?

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:25 am

Harrison was awful when he did play. Not a loss. The backup, Ronny Rodriguez does not belong on a major league field. Your third baseman was so bad he was sent to Toledo for a time. Cabrera is old and broken down and should DH full time. Jones had one good game, but he shouldn’t be your starting CF. At best, he’s a fourth outfielder. First base is clearly lacking... there are plenty of options out there to fill that spot since no one is close to ready in the minors. Trade for a AAA masher for practically nothing and see what happens.

DL or not, much of the pitching staff is bad. Moore was going to fade because his career has been downhill for years. Zimmerman can put up a few good starts but overall is mediocre at best. The bullpen has been terrible for decades.

This is all the fault of Avila (and to an extent Dombrowski), for signing bad free agents and not developing a farm system.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:17 am

This P.O.S. baseball team is 2-9 in the month of June and went 9-18 in the month of May. :lol

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:18 pm

Hey - I want more Chris Ilitch sound bites about how great the rebuild is going! :rollin

2-17 over the past 19 games at home. Who the f*ck would pay to see this flaming dumpster fire of a baseball team?

No one within that organization knows how to successfully execute a rebuild. Mike Ilitch was getting long in the tooth, wanted a chance at a World Championship, so back in the mid 00's, the problem was solved by throwing a ton of money at the problem.

Yes, a couple draft picks panned out incredibly well in that era, but mostly, the team was constructed via free agency + some trade deals + $$$. A decade of competitive baseball in this town ensued.

The entire decade of the 90's was horrific, and so were the 00's up to 2005. After that experience, I don't know why on earth ANYONE would expect this team to be able to successfully complete a rebuild in five years or less.

Al Avila has zero experience in that arena, and all Chris Ilitch knows how to do is pitch unrealistic real estate development plans to dopey government officials and evade local blight ordinances!

I really miss the newspaper articles from Lynn Henning, Chris McCosky and Carlos Monarrez telling us how the Tigers were going to be able to land a top-tiered nationally renowned play-by-play man to replace Mario Impemba! There was ZERO interest!! :lol

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:34 pm

I love baseball. However, I have a limit as to how much I will spend on a bad product. If there are young exciting prospects, I am willing to bend that. The Tigers do not have that at the moment. If I want to see bad baseball in person, I’ll drive to Toledo. Cheaper, closer seats and cheaper parking, and they probably won’t win either (Mud Hens record is pretty bad right now). You would be surprised how many people attending the games are from SE Michigan, even as far north as Downriver and Ypsilanti. There is clearly a market for baseball in the region.

I have business in the Cleveland area next month, and should have a day to shoot over to Erie and see for myself if things are looking better. Too bad Mize is hurt at the moment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic