Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WHO is writing this stuff?

A forum devoted to the Advertising Industry. A place not just to discuss the ads you see & hear, but also the business side of the industry.
Ed Joseph

WHO is writing this stuff?

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like commercials, especially on TV, are just plain stupid anymore. As in, "that was somehow funny to the writer, but everyone else missed it". I often wonder if this is a symptom of copy writers on designer drugs? Perhaps they younger generation really has no creativity? What is the deal?? Geico and Progressive spots come to mind instantly. Maybe I should ingest more weed? :>

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Willie108

Re: WHO is writing this stuff?

Post by Willie108 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:49 pm

I can't stand Flo.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:49 pm
I can't stand Flo.
It was entertaining at first but it's stopped being funny now

Music is my life.

FET-500

Post by FET-500 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:53 am

Ed Joseph wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:19 pm
Maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like commercials, especially on TV, are just plain stupid anymore. As in, "that was somehow funny to the writer, but everyone else missed it". I often wonder if this is a symptom of copy writers on designer drugs? Perhaps they younger generation really has no creativity? What is the deal?? Geico and Progressive spots come to mind instantly. Maybe I should ingest more weed? :>
Leo Laporte, laid it all out in an episode of Security Now several years ago: smart people know how to avoid ads and quite often do so. Leo pointed out that this was common knowledge between the sellers and buyers of ad time.

TV and radio will continue the downward slide until they're gone.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Tue May 28, 2019 4:09 pm

FET... yes, I avoid ads any possible way I can. I *despise* marketing and avoid it like the plague it is. But sometimes you can't get away from them.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

bmw

Post by bmw » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:00 am

Social media has ruined funny ads. Advertisers are now afraid of being edgy and/or offending ANYONE for fear of social media backlash, so we get today's crop of mediocre-at-best, boring as hell commercials. Just look at what has happened to the Super Bowl.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:00 am

You can be respectful and funny, it's just harder to write.

They probably just aren't writing ads directed at 50 + year old white guys. I am guessing the ad is funny to someone.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:19 am

The Samsung phone-to-phone charging spot is especially irritating with that goofy song:

....what you think of me now?

I get that it's geared toward millennials, but aside from its general annoyance, the spot seems to speak directly to narcissism.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 24

Post by Deleted User 24 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:43 am

For at least a couple of years, there's been a car dealer running a spot during Tigers broadcasts and elsewhere that asks, "Do you want to be treated different?

Well, I might want to be treated differently, but the difference is probably lost on the idiot(s) who wrote and approved this crap.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:18 am

Vic Doucette wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:43 am
For at least a couple of years, there's been a car dealer running a spot during Tigers broadcasts and elsewhere that asks, "Do you want to be treated different?

Well, I might want to be treated differently, but the difference is probably lost on the idiot(s) who wrote and approved this crap.
If the ad brings in customers they might have less cars on the lot.

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic