Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
borderboy653659200

Re: 98.7 The Breeze just ruined itself with new Fresh / RnB playlist

Post by borderboy653659200 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:47 am

Winwood is probably the most criminally underrated great singer of the rock and roll era !!!!

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:36 pm

option1 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:42 am
MW, PPM has changed the game. If the data says shut them up and play more music that’s what programmers are going to do.
PPM's can't tell if people aren't tuning in because of talking.
Use common sense.

Music is my life.

option1

Post by option1 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Stopnswap my brother. Did you actually write that “PPM’s can’t tell if people aren’t tuning in because of talking?”

Dude. Put the Cheetos and Mountain Dew down, get off this website for five minutes and do a little homework on how PPM works. That statement is really unbelievable coming from a person that has posted 2500+ times on a radio board.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 27, 2019 7:40 pm

Option1 - PPM for years on end has said Detroit's radio audience LOVES talk (and lots of it) in morning drive.

Look at who the dominant shows have been during the past decade - Drew & Mike, Dave & Chuck the Freak, Mojo, Steve Harvey, Stoney & Bill / Stoney & Jamie. News on WWJ.

The stations that play plenty of music in the morning LOSE. Period. John Mason played a lot of music during his show; he always got crushed by syndie shows from out of market. He no longer does mornings. WYCD's lowest ratings generally come in morning drive. 98.7 as Amp Radio was music intensive in morning drive for years and was a complete non-factor. WOMC also hasn't been much of a factor in mornings since Dick Purtan retired. WCSX used to play a ton of music in the morning, but guess what? They began talking a lot more in morning drive a year ago - and their ratings improved.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:56 pm

option1 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:34 pm
Stopnswap my brother. Did you actually write that “PPM’s can’t tell if people aren’t tuning in because of talking?”

Dude. Put the Cheetos and Mountain Dew down, get off this website for five minutes and do a little homework on how PPM works. That statement is really unbelievable coming from a person that has posted 2500+ times on a radio board.
So you are telling me that a device can tell thoughts of a person and the EXACT reason they are not tuning into a station?
I know how PPMs work, heck, I've worn one.
But they are not mind readers.

Examples: driving kids to school and they want on a certain station, disliking a particular morning show, wanting to hear news, not liking the particular songs playing, etc etc.

Music is my life.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:52 am

They finally are playing the Faith Hill song I suggested in November.
94.1 the sound in Seattle keeps playing all the songs I've suggested for the breeze
They just added in "Here Comes The Sun", which I suggested for the Breeze in December

Music is my life.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:50 pm

The smooth R&B and classic soul tunes need to be there. Stations that sound "too white" are not going to work in a market like Detroit. What doesn't fit are the newer, whiny, "snowflake" style ballads from recent years. I would dump those titles, or be a lot more selective about them. There are a ton of big 80s/90s AC hits not being played on The Breeze. I would add more of those, even in limited rotation (the old Jeff McCarthy trick).

One thing I can't tolerate at all is Sandy Kovach trying to be John Tesh, with all of the cheesy "lifestyle" and advice crap. OMG, is that annoying. Just let Sandy be Sandy, for God's sake.

As for Ian Richards, you haters need to lay off the guy. It's been 30+ years, but I had to deal with talent in Lansing and other places who were not nearly as versatile as this guy. It's probably not his favorite music, but he gives the impression he loves every minute of it. Sure, he doesn't have the typical "Ron Radio" voice most AC yukkers have, and thank God for that! WCLS 99.5 Class FM had an entire "Ron Radio" line-up back in the day. Ian does a good job. He just sounds different. Give the guy a break.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Deleted User 15041

Post by Deleted User 15041 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:36 pm

Doesn't sound like you know much about radio Colonel, Sandy is an excellent broadcaster and sounds great on 98.7 and what do you have against John Tesh.

stopnswop2

Post by stopnswop2 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:22 pm

I think they are trying to make Sandy into a fake Delilah.
They are now even doing those "love song dedications"

Music is my life.

Deleted User 15050

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:28 pm

The station should just get the music fixed, it should be priority one than do other things later.

BKRPDM

Post by BKRPDM » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm

I think the music sounds fine. For a while there they were just simply duplicating WOMC. They just need to double the size of the playlist.

Deleted User 15050

Post by Deleted User 15050 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Great point.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic