Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

New Rock Station in Indianapolis

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 12047

New Rock Station in Indianapolis

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:13 pm

Which I think is a Neighboring State... From RAMP Radio and Music Professionals"
Cumulus Media solved the issue of owning two Top 40 stations in Indianapolis by flipping WYRG (Energy 93.9) to 93-9X, Indy's Rock Station. The flip was not unexpected -- Cumulus already owned WYRG, Country WFMS and Classic Hits WJJK, and as a result of its recent acquisition of Entercom's three-station group -- heritage Top 40 WZPL, AC WNTR (107.9 The Mix) and CBS Sports affiliate WXNT-AM, the company ended up with two Pop stations. That awkward situation has now been remedied.
The Indianapolis Rock audience can now expect to hear songs from Led Zeppelin, Foo Fighters, AC/DC, Metallica, Nirvana, Guns N' Roses, etc. on the new 93-9X, which will run commercial-free through Memorial Day weekend.

Deleted User 14990

Re: New Rock Station in Indianapolis

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Ah the cursed 93.9 signal, Hopefully this works.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri May 24, 2019 2:38 pm

The return of a halfway decent rock station to Indianapolis is LONG OVERDUE!

Despite the branding similarities, there are significant playlist differences between this station and KXXR in Minneapolis. The Indianapolis station plays a very broad range of rock - not unlike WMMR in Philadelphia (a Beasley Media station).

This is the PERFECT signal for a Rock format. You generally don't see people at their place of business inside high-rise office buildings listening to rock radio. At home, outside and in the car, 93.9 delivers a solid signal to most of the market.

93.9 was successful for a couple years as a classic hip-hop outlet. When that format debuted on 93.9, the station scored a 7.7 share in ages 6+ in its first ratings survey. Christian AC has also scored respectable numbers on this frequency in years past.

Kudos to Cumulus for picking a good format. I just wish this new station was more focused on hard rock. I see too much sissy alt music in the music log.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?c ... service=FM

Edit: no fruity "alt" songs have played over the past couple hours; hopefully those have been weeded from the playlist for good.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Sat May 25, 2019 4:31 am

I will be down there in July to give it and the market a listen. I agree, long overdue!

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Sat May 25, 2019 8:37 am

So far, so good. However, I have noticed they are playing a few Imagine Dragons and Twenty One Pilot songs. That said, Cumulus tends to throw in a few Alt songs onto their active rock stations- I’m personally ok with it.

My only gripe with the station is that 93.9X sounds a bit clunky. If they wanted to avoid the 93X moniker that their MSP station has (and they took their logo), they could have gone with 94X, X93.9, or 93.9 the X and it would’ve rolled off the tongue better. Oh well. This station should do quite well and I’d be pretty nervous if I had anything to do with 103.3.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Sat May 25, 2019 9:36 am

The history of 93.9 Indianapolis, as chronicled by the failing New York Times.. (sarcasm font intended)
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/19/maga ... ldies.html

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 25, 2019 4:34 pm

Great article; thanks for sharing the link to it!

I'm already getting used to the 93-9X moniker.

It is indeed odd, though, that they didn't just use "94X." Is that moniker already trademarked by someone else? (The Classic Rock station at 94.7 MHz in Indy goes by "Q95," so that cannot be the reason for avoiding usage of "94" in the station name.)

No one will accuse Cumulus of ever having sharp strategic minds working for them. After all, these are the same imbeciles who decided to dump classic hip-hop from 93.9 MHz about 18 months ago to give the market its third (!!!) CHR/Pop station. Never mind the fact 93.9's signal wasn't as good as the two incumbent CHR/Pop stations nor the fact CHR/Pop song product was entering a doldrum phase.

Cumulus (and before them, Citadel) use the same syntax for their longtime active rock station in Wilkes-Barre, PA ("97-9X"). The Wilkes-Barre station has a damn good playlist, I might add. I'll have to start sampling them more frequently!

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat May 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Chrocket87 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:37 am
So far, so good. However, I have noticed they are playing a few Imagine Dragons and Twenty One Pilot songs. That said, Cumulus tends to throw in a few Alt songs onto their active rock stations- I’m personally ok with it.
Z93 in the Tri City market plays those 2 same crappy artists. I often wonder why as they sound so out of place on an active rock station

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 25, 2019 8:37 pm

We can thank Troy Hanson for that, I suspect.

A former PD with an unimpressive track record (OK ratings in Nashville; terrible ratings in Atlanta) somehow became the rock & alternative format captain for Cumulus.

Overall, 93.9's playlist is not bad at all. It is superior to the likes of 89X and WGRD.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun May 26, 2019 10:00 pm

I'm going to really enjoy seeing this station humiliate Alt 103.3 in the ratings in the coming months.

I must say - the breadth of 93.9's playlist is impressive! I've heard many songs on day 3 that I didn't hear on day 2, and many songs on day 2 that I didn't hear on day 1.

They are not playing the shit out of the same songs over & over.

The imaging is reasonably well produced, too, being a brand new station & all.

windsor

Post by windsor » Mon May 27, 2019 8:13 pm

Last time the X moniker used in Indy was X103..............dont like the 93.9X name.

Nice to see a city that needs it get a rock station that rocks , Q95 is lame and boring ala WCSX.They might be a tad worse since they have B&T morn. there.

Cleveland needs a kickass rocker next................

F**K Trudeau and F**K CBC !!!!

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Tue May 28, 2019 10:51 am

windsor wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:13 pm
Cleveland needs a kickass rocker next................
Agreed. Cleveland has long needed a rock station other than classic rock WNCX, which does very well. WMMS isn't really a rock station. They're a hot talk that fills middays with music, nights too when no Indians or Cavs.

iHeart does have the Alt 99 translator. Good format considering it's Premium Choice, crappy signal.

https://alt991cleveland.iheart.com/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue May 28, 2019 9:51 pm

I am stunned by how far Q104's ratings have sunk. What happened to that station?!?! They used to be a solid 5 or even 5.5 share radio station each & every book.

The Cleveland FM dial is garbage (although Pittsburgh's is worse).

I'd like to see 100.7 converted to a full-time simulcast of WTAM. All the sports programming would continue to air on AM 1100 & FM 100.7, just as it does now.

Move Rover and Alan Cox to 96.5 and the flip it to Rock. Run no sports programming of any kind. iHeart still would have 98.1 WKDD to service the CHR/Pop crowd.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Thu May 30, 2019 11:40 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:51 pm
I am stunned by how far Q104's ratings have sunk. What happened to that station?!?! They used to be a solid 5 or even 5.5 share radio station each & every book.

The Cleveland FM dial is garbage (although Pittsburgh's is worse).

I'd like to see 100.7 converted to a full-time simulcast of WTAM. All the sports programming would continue to air on AM 1100 & FM 100.7, just as it does now.

Move Rover and Alan Cox to 96.5 and the flip it to Rock. Run no sports programming of any kind. iHeart still would have 98.1 WKDD to service the CHR/Pop crowd.
WTAM now on a translator at 106.9

Maybe Entercom flips Q104 to ... alternative? That would be interesting. But, is there more $$$ in HAC?

Chrocket87

Post by Chrocket87 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:34 pm

Lol, that’s a horrible idea. Hot AC definitely bills better than Alternative and given the downturn the format has taken, I don’t even see Entercom as being silly enough to do that.

I am shocked as to how Q104 has dropped in the past six months or so. I wonder where the listeners have gone, as WDOK is virtually steady and Kiss has dropped as well. Interesting enough, Cleveland might be the weakest market nationally for CHR, at least among PPM markets.

As to MW’s idea, WTAM doesn’t really need a full signal simulcast. It has been humming along for the past few years and I’m not sure young people are gonna start listening to Rush and Triv just because it’s on 100.7. I do like the idea of Rock going to 96.5 in that scenario, though. A station like WLLZ would be great, as WNCX still won’t play any 90s.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic