All accepted registrations through August 15 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Ron Cameron In One Word:

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
briangoleb

Re: Ron Cameron In One Word:

Post by briangoleb » Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm

Lol...he also tried to read one about erectile dysfunction..he could never say it properly..why would anyone pay him to read an advertisement? But I must admit..I love listening to the show..it is a Trainwreck...

Y M Ionhere

Post by Y M Ionhere » Wed May 29, 2019 11:05 pm

briangoleb wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm
Lol...he also tried to read one about erectile dysfunction..he could never say it properly..why would anyone pay him to read an advertisement? But I must admit..I love listening to the show..it is a Trainwreck...
Because of this thread, ive tried. But its too dismal. The guy cannot read. And he is not that good or interesting a speaker. And some people make grouchiness funny or in some way entertaining. Not him. Just a grouchy, semi-literate old fogey who craves attention despite the total opposite personality for it.

313sports

Post by 313sports » Thu May 30, 2019 12:58 am

Y M Ionhere wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:05 pm
briangoleb wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:41 pm
Because of this thread, ive tried. But its too dismal. The guy cannot read. And he is not that good or interesting a speaker. And some people make grouchiness funny or in some way entertaining. Not him. Just a grouchy, semi-literate old fogey who craves attention despite the total opposite personality for it.
You must admit though, whenever he gets into it with either one of his callers or producers it makes for entertaining radio. Good or bad but still makes you want to see what's going to happen next.

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 am

As the sports talk industry's counterpart to the "boom goes the dynamite" sports anchor (which, as he addresses "sports fans," is also a part of his wheelhouse), Ron's WDTK show is the equivalent of must-see TV for me. An SNL character - along with his regular callers - come to life. So awful in every respect. And yet so much more polished than his sadly-lamented WPON broadcast, with, among others, a rotating cast of fictional callers who existed only between the hours of 9-11 Friday morning.

uncleb67

Post by uncleb67 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:13 am

Momo wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 am
And yet so much more polished than his sadly-lamented WPON broadcast, with, among others, a rotating cast of fictional callers who existed only between the hours of 9-11 Friday morning.
Kinda funny, I was just laughing about this. That Friday morning show was a trip! Ron was always coughing, belching and yawning through that 9am WPON show. The few regular callers Ron has, were down to only a couple those Friday mornings, along with the “insurance agency” calls/e-mails!!! Ron was especially crotchety this weekend. I feel like there are some posters here who have an insider understanding of the weirdness that the world of Ron is!
Last edited by uncleb67 on Thu May 30, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Thu May 30, 2019 11:32 am

Cameron almost certainly HAS erectile dysfunction . (He probably hasn't boyed up in decades !!!!)

Momo

Post by Momo » Thu May 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Regular listeners get a steady diet of Ron's unhinged, obsessive hatred of Jim Price, but as this video establishes, Ron (and Denny) once seemed quite chummy with Price:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFRTFNL8oPg

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu May 30, 2019 5:27 pm

Salem uses WDTK to clear their national shows. Local advertising has to be very little. Any time they can broker to try to break even to any group willing to pony up is a bonus.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:21 pm

Well,McLain and Price WERE teammates,even if they didn't click,and there's a bond among the boys who wear the uniform .Cameron,on the other hand,well,perhaps Price did sometime to anger Ronnie ,and as proven by his Bobby Page feud,Cameron ALWAYS holds and nurtures grudges .

Momo

Post by Momo » Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 pm

You're not alone if you've noticed that Ron is more sympathetic to Alex Avila than his predecessor. While giving Avila a wide berth in his tearing apart/rebuilding process, he was reflexively against the Dombrowski-led Tigers. As an example, in the years in which the team made the post-season, Ron consistently predicted against the Tigers in EVERY series they played. Prior to the 2013 ALDS against the A's - a rematch of the 2012 ALDS in which Justin Verlander shut-out the A's to win the 5th and deciding game - Ron, as was his wont, picked the A's to win in 5. When reminded by a caller that this prediction meant he was betting against JV in game 5, Ron - without missing a beat - said "Oakland in 4." (As a post-script, the series again went 5 games, with Verlander pitching yet another shut-out in the deciding game.) As everything is personal for the narcissistic Ron, it's pretty reasonable to conclude that Ron's change of disposition over the 2 regimes is informed wholly by the fact that, unlike Dombrowski, who paid Ron no respect, Avila at least deigns to talk to Ron, even agreeing to appear on his show once after becoming GM. Ron is just that transparent.

313sports

Post by 313sports » Fri May 31, 2019 1:30 pm

Only way he could be more transparent is if he'd come out and say it's because they talk to him and appear. Which wouldn't shock me at all. Why can none of his producers kick any common sense into him? Alex has been with him for more than 4 years and the new Joey guy is sharp.

borderboy653659200

Post by borderboy653659200 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:05 am

Come to think of it,I never heard Dombrowski on Cameron's show . I wonder,though,if Avila will again be Ron's guest . (Actually,Ron should have JJ,Kurt,Freddie the Pizza Dude or Cowboy Brady in Windsor on his show,because none of them is in his eighties or nineties .Oh,that's right,Ron LOVES those geezers !!!!)

Momo

Post by Momo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 am

Alex, if you're auditing this board, Cowboy's idea would really represent some outside the box programming. Put a temporary pause on the recycling of addled octogenarians/nonagerians and their decidedly not "very interesting" interviews, which seemingly always end in Ron asking them - for the umpteenth time - what their greatest thrill was in their respective sport. Imagine having as in-studio guests Cowboy, JJ, Kurt, Freddy the Pizza Man (he can do the catering), the "real quick" nasally caller from Livonia whose name escapes me right now. If the budget doesn't allow for flying in Rich from New York, he can stay on the panel as long as necessary to get the Tigers/Wings/Pistons immediate upcoming schedule. And try unearthing Gutterball (Tony, our Sports Talk nation turns its lonely eyes to you). The only problem with this idea is who would call?! Perhaps Ron could reassemble - just for this special occasion - the "insurance company." Alex, make this happen!

313sports

Post by 313sports » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:06 pm

Speaking of Alex, it was nice to have him back today. Much better show with him in there, especially considering it was 2 hours of open line. Show actually had somewhat of a flow and Ron didn't get too far off track

Bobbert

Post by Bobbert » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:00 am

Momo wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:26 am
...the recycling of addled octogenarians/nonagerians...
That's pretty harsh. :) I find them very interesting, with a lot historical value. Maybe because I just turned 60. It's especially nice to hear how they made lives for themselves after their playing days, when they didn't make the kind of money that they make today.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic