All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
Deleted User 8570

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:27 am

screen glare wrote:Wrong NS. But you're usually wrong. Or inconsequential.
No... Literally every time someone says something you take an opposite view critical of that opinion using some faux poetic mush to justify your position...



screen glare
Posts: 1517
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by screen glare » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:30 am

Poetic mush? Thank you for reinforcing my point about you.



Deleted User 8570

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:12 am

screen glare wrote:Poetic mush? Thank you for reinforcing my point about you.
You're grasping for straws now...



Happyshooter

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by Happyshooter » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:03 pm

I agree
deadend wrote:Loco 4 has been my main news station as long as I can remember. I was watching at 5 today and they had ol "Helptthh metthhh Hanktthhh" reporting from Flint on the water crisis.
This guy was hurting my ears with his horrible lisp. Every word ends with a "ssss", like air being let out of a tire or the "thhhhhhh" sound accompanied by his odd head movements and lip smacks.

I can NOT stand this guy! I didn't mind him much when he was an occasional fluff news story reporter or buried on weekend mornings but Loco 4 keeps shoving him and his horrible speech impediment and bad reporting skills in our faces. His speech takes away from what he's reporting, which is exactly what you don't want from a reporter. I can't get to the remote fast enough when he comes on, and I think it's a joke he got the consumer awareness reporting job. It should've went to someone like Karen drew or Lauren podell. It's a damn shame.

Mentioned frequently by people who know not of this board, or broadcasting, is they can't stand the guy due to his over exaggerated hand gestures, odd head nods and lisp. They say they can't watch and change channels because it's too much.

Just venting, because that's what this board is for.



JackAttack FM
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by JackAttack FM » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:01 am

After the area code the hotline for Hank is such a jumble of numbers to remember to call:
313-298-9348
... or was it 84?

And the email, [email protected], has more characters then the entire alphabet... 30.

Its like they're weeding out the 70 and over crowd.



User avatar
craig11152
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:15 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by craig11152 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:42 pm

I don't see the email being a H*** issue help me hank click on Detroit ain't that hard to remember


testing...testing...1...2...3...4

Deleted User 8570

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:55 pm

JackAttack FM wrote:After the area code the hotline for Hank is such a jumble of numbers to remember to call:
313-298-9348
... or was it 84?

And the email, [email protected], has more characters then the entire alphabet... 30.

Its like they're weeding out the 70 and over crowd.
That phone number is also known as 313-298-WDIV... If they aren't using that description of it then they are idiots...



JackAttack FM
Posts: 873
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by JackAttack FM » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:46 pm

NS8401 wrote:
JackAttack FM wrote:After the area code the hotline for Hank is such a jumble of numbers to remember to call:
313-298-9348
... or was it 84?

And the email, [email protected], has more characters then the entire alphabet... 30.

Its like they're weeding out the 70 and over crowd.
That phone number is also known as 313-298-WDIV... If they aren't using that description of it then they are idiots...
They're not.
That's how they're billing it on the slates in the promos.

And since the overwhelming majority of responders to these franchises are well into their AARP years that email is too long.
But, hey, maybe they don't need anyone to call in because Hank has all of Flint save.



Deleted User 8570

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:23 am

JackAttack FM wrote:
NS8401 wrote:
JackAttack FM wrote:After the area code the hotline for Hank is such a jumble of numbers to remember to call:
313-298-9348
... or was it 84?

And the email, [email protected], has more characters then the entire alphabet... 30.

Its like they're weeding out the 70 and over crowd.
That phone number is also known as 313-298-WDIV... If they aren't using that description of it then they are idiots...
They're not.
That's how they're billing it on the slates in the promos.

And since the overwhelming majority of responders to these franchises are well into their AARP years that email is too long.
But, hey, maybe they don't need anyone to call in because Hank has all of Flint save.
The 11pm sinking ship must be spreading its contagion then... This kind of screwy stuff might explain their declines in viewership... The product is in serious decline while 2 remains strong and 7 improves...



SolidGoldDancers
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:03 pm

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by SolidGoldDancers » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:51 am

deadend wrote:
I can NOT stand this guy! I didn't mind him much when he was an occasional fluff news story reporter or buried on weekend mornings but Loco 4 keeps shoving him and his horrible speech impediment and bad reporting skills in our faces. His speech takes away from what he's reporting, which is exactly what you don't want from a reporter. I can't get to the remote fast enough when he comes on, and I think it's a joke he got the consumer awareness reporting job. It should've went to someone like Karen drew or Lauren podell. It's a damn shame.
You need to go back through the archives then and see what Hank *has* reported. Don't forget, he kept after Ford over firing Matt Millen, the two times he managed to get Ford to respond to that direct question, it was run on national news outlets creating public outcry that Millen had yet to be fired. Two weeks later, Matt was gone. Not saying Hank is directly responsible, but he sure as hell brought it to the public front and center.

He has had his share of fluff pieces (no pun intended), but he also covered some local stories like Tara Grant's murder. He was in the garage where parts of her body were in plastic containers, and was following Stephen as he ran north. That's not exactly "fluff", and it was far more intimate reporting than any other local reporter managed to do on the story.

We get you don't like him, and it is okay. But equating a speech impediment and hand gestures to poor reporting isn't always true. Sometimes, yes, but he's had some good assignments and he has come through. Get over it, it's not like other bigger names have had WORSE speech impediments *cough* *cough* Tom Brokaw *cough* *cough*.

As far as Podell, are you drunk? That woman couldn't do a consumer reporting gig because she doesn't know when to shut her mouth and let others talk.



User avatar
Plate Cap
Posts: 342
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:18 am
Location: After the rectifier stack

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:52 am

Hm.

Winchester has come up a number of times here over the years, perhaps more so than any other camera stooge. There is always vociferous polarization of opinion, and typically persons lining up more / less in the same camps. The usual name-calling and poor manners that keeps the Buzzboard out of the realm of serious media info sources usually occurs.

On one side, there is (to me, at least) the logical positions against him: the speech impediment, the improper stressing of words, gestures, etc. I don't think anyone can argue he is not way down the list of anyone's first choices.

On the other side, the arguments in favor of him are pretty much "he's not so bad", and he's liked "just because".

Makes one wonder if there's more to the whole discussion other than the on-air skills / appearance / attributes of a TV reporter.
Last edited by Plate Cap on Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.


The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Deleted User 8570

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by Deleted User 8570 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:15 pm

Plate Cap wrote:Hm.

Winchester has come up a number of times here over the years, perhaps more so than any other camera stooge. There is always vociferous polarization of opinion, and typically persons lining up more / less in the same camps. The usual name-calling and poor manners that keeps the Buzzboard out of the realm of serious media info sources usually occurs.

On one side, there is (to me, at least) the logical positions against him: the speech impediment, the improper stressing of words, gestures, etc. I don't think anyone can argue he is way down the list of anyone's first choices.

On the other side, the arguments in favor of him are pretty much "he's not so bad", and he's liked "just because".

Makes one wonder if there's more to the whole discussion other than the on-air skills / appearance / attributes of a TV reporter.
But if the original posts information usually happens should the commentary that follows be anyone's focus?



deadend
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:30 am
Location: Ann Arbor

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by deadend » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:13 pm

It's not what he's reporting, but how he's reporting it. I think he isn't good at all. I can't focus on what he's reporting because he so ridiculous. That's why he should go back to the fluff stories and leave the real stories for real reporters who can do the job correctly. Of course he's just doing what he's told. That traffic girl on in the early morning on ch4 that many have posted about can cover the presidential election but that doesn't mean she will be any good at it.

Hankthhhhhh needs to go away or be buried back in low viewed day parts.



Happyshooter

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by Happyshooter » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:44 pm

I like Rhonda Walker on air--in real life I suspect she is fairly nasty-- but thanks to the painful 4 traffic girl I only do 7 in the mornings. Same thing with Hank and the terrible midday girl, off to 7 for noon and night, I don't even give the slots a try anymore.

I want to like 2, but they keep switching up so much it feels like a random chance what people and style they will have for the timeslots one day to the next



Daypart
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Hankthhhhh Winthhhchestthhhhhrrrr is awful

Post by Daypart » Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 am

I think you people are horrible, making fun of someone's speech impediment. I don't even detect it, and I know Hank personally and speak with him in person fairly often. He lives fairly close to the studio.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic