Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Beilein Bolts To NBA

No $8 beers here... just a place to discuss your favorite Sports Teams, classic & current events in the world of sports, and share your Sports knowledge!
moldyoldie

Beilein Bolts To NBA

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 am

I guess being Izzo's doormat this season did him in. :razz :mrgreen:

John Beilein Leaving Michigan Basketball for Cleveland Cavaliers

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Matt

Re: Beilein Bolts To NBA

Post by Matt » Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 am

I can assure you that the lowlife pond scum known as Tom Izzo had NOTHING to do with Beilein's decision to leave. I'm just annoyed he chose CLEVELAND of all places. In retrospect, I wish he had taken the Pistons job last year.

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:53 am

Sad to see him go but I don't think the word "bolts" is accurate. He spent 12 years here. I think of bolting as someone who leaves after a year or two. But I suppose its semantics

I no longer directly engage trolls

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 13, 2019 9:58 am

Matt wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:45 am
I'm just annoyed he chose CLEVELAND of all places.
Methinks the Cavs' owner, Detroit's Dan Gilbert, made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Okay, (sc)UM fans, who do you want to replace him?

craig11152 wrote:Sad to see him go but I don't think the word "bolts" is accurate. He spent 12 years here. I think of bolting as someone who leaves after a year or two. But I suppose its semantics
From my Princeton University WordWeb dictionary:
Bolt - The act of moving with great haste.

I'd say Beilein's decision was a "bolt" out of the "blue" (See what I did there? :razz ). I certainly didn't see it coming; I don't think anyone did.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

craig11152

Post by craig11152 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:23 pm

moldyoldie wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:58 am
craig11152 wrote:Sad to see him go but I don't think the word "bolts" is accurate. He spent 12 years here. I think of bolting as someone who leaves after a year or two. But I suppose its semantics

I'd say Beilein's decision was a "bolt" out of the "blue" (See what I did there? :razz ). I certainly didn't see it coming; I don't think anyone did.
Again semantics but just because you or I was caught by surprise doesn't mean "bolt" to me

Suppose you came home from work one day and your neighbors had a for sale sign in the yard. Are they bolting because you didn't know even if they had talked about it themselves for months?

I no longer directly engage trolls

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Mon May 13, 2019 12:38 pm

craig11152 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:23 pm
moldyoldie wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:58 am

Again semantics but just because you or I was caught by surprise doesn't mean "bolt" to me

Suppose you came home from work one day and your neighbors had a for sale sign in the yard. Are they bolting because you didn't know even if they had talked about it themselves for months?
Our being surprised has little to do with the definition; they haven't "bolted" till they actually leave. If they leave with great haste once they do leave, then they've "bolted". :lol I'm sure Beilein has been contemplating this move for weeks.

- Sydney J. Harris

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 13, 2019 2:46 pm

Juwan Howard is a name that's getting a lot of play as a potential successor. Might be tough to do better than that, as badly as I want a seasoned college head coach with a great resume.

LaVall Jordan is another name that belongs on the list.

Lester The Nightfly

Post by Lester The Nightfly » Mon May 13, 2019 4:37 pm

Can't blame the guy. Pragmatically it will be the last coaching gig in his career. While Michigan was paying him well, if you're 66 years old and have an opportunity to sign a five year contract for major league cash to close out your career you do it.

Good luck coach!

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Mon May 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Beilein wasn’t the coach suspended, or the coach covering up sexual assault scandals. That would be Izzo, the biggest fraud out there.

This tells you how bad the Pistons offer was a while back. Cleveland is a mess and that won’t change. Doesn’t really matter, since there are only 2 or 3 teams in the league that have a shot.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 22, 2019 6:28 pm

Juwan Howard got the job, as many expected. Five year deal.

As usual, our local beat writers were late arrivals to the scene. National folks were on the story hours ago.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed May 22, 2019 7:23 pm

I'm happy with the selection and think he will be successful. I wouldn't give the national writers too much credit...

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed May 22, 2019 8:06 pm

I certainly prefer him to the guy from Providence!

Will be interesting to see if more top tier in-state recruits now pick Michigan over MSU. Howard's youth and successful NBA career - and yes, his ethnicity - could prove to be major assets.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu May 23, 2019 1:21 pm

You Michigan guys are dreaming, this will not be a successful hire. He has ZERO head coaching experience and ZERO college coaching experience. We'll see if he can recruit, but considering his glory days were in the early '90's, I am not sure how many kids headed for college can relate to him. And if Yaklich and/or Saadi go, it's gonna be Brady Hoke time at Crisler.

The censorship king from out of state.

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu May 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Honeyman wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:21 pm
You Michigan guys are dreaming, this will not be a successful hire. He has ZERO head coaching experience and ZERO college coaching experience. We'll see if he can recruit, but considering his glory days were in the early '90's, I am not sure how many kids headed for college can relate to him. And if Yaklich and/or Saadi go, it's gonna be Brady Hoke time at Crisler.
Lloyd Carr and Red Berenson say hi.

Honeyman

Post by Honeyman » Thu May 23, 2019 4:34 pm

Matt wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Lloyd Carr and Red Berenson say hi.
Clyde Drexler and Chris Mullen nod accordingly.

How is Carr doing anyway? Wasn't he ill?

The censorship king from out of state.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic