Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Janet Mason to Retire...

Discussion pertaining to Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Battle Creek, Big Rapids, and Michiana
Trophyhead

Janet Mason to Retire...

Post by Trophyhead » Thu May 23, 2019 12:11 pm

I never worked at WZZM, but I have seen plenty of comment pass on the Buzzboard over the years about how she moved the pieces around off 3 Mile, mostly knocking their results in the ratings and regarding their on-air product.

Any thoughts? "I don't watch local TV News" is a non-qualifying response.

MasterB

Re: Janet Mason to Retire...

Post by MasterB » Thu May 23, 2019 6:48 pm

I read that Janet was retiring last night enjoy retirement Janet. I wonder if Fox17 is nipping at WZZM in the ratings?

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu May 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Six thoughts come to mind:
- She left the station is worse shape than she found it;
- I wonder how much money was squandered on the stupid Weather Ball restoration?
- Why has WZZM used the same horrendous sounding music cue to introduce the extended weather forecast for so many years?
- Under her watch, the station was absurdly late to the party in launching a web site;
- Every news director she's hired/promoted except two have stunk;
- GOOD RIDDANCE!!!

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Fri May 24, 2019 4:46 pm

MasterB wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:48 pm
I read that Janet was retiring last night enjoy retirement Janet. I wonder if Fox17 is nipping at WZZM in the ratings?
"nipping at 13"? Seriously? 13 has been in the rear view mirror of 3,8 and 17 for years. 13's efforts are only in applying for and trying to win emmy's and MAB's. They submit the most entries and sometimes they win some, and that is 100% what they hope people will notice.

dwp49423

Post by dwp49423 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:10 pm

That station is beyond a train wreck. Why Gannett/Tenga kept her around is beyond me. Shocked nobody at corporate saw that despite all the changes, two things remained the same: low ratings and Janet Mason was in charge.

One bonehead move MW missed in terms of Janet Mason's incompetence: failure to launch a 10PM newscast. To me, it could have easily been placed on the On Target Weather Network subchannel.

---
"Cheap Cheap Cheap" it is live or is it Gannett?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon May 27, 2019 8:47 am

Who the hell is going to go out of their way to watch a 10PM newscast from third/fourth place WZZM on an obscure channel that only broadcasts in standard def?

WXSP and CW-7 occupy prime real estate on local cable systems and offer high definition signals. And, of course, there's Fox 17, who has been doing 10PM news for a couple decades.

You think it would make sense for WZZM to enter that outrageously crowded field? Even Detroit only has two 10PM newscasts, and the "runner up" has always struggled in the ratings in that time slot.

With Mason at the helm, WZZM was slow to gain access to all major cable systems along & south of the I-94 corridor and WOTV was able to re-up its ABC affiliation agreement. Those should both count as strikes against her.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue May 28, 2019 2:11 am

I've heard she is a really bitchy person to work for. Explains that's why many people suddenly quit on 3 Mile. I can imagine those whos have stayed their the longest have kissed her ass.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue May 28, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm surprised that WZZM hasn't just put The Justice Network on .2 and just shutdown OnTarget Weather Network and move Quest to .3 just my opinion. It wasn't until June of 2015 when Charter added OnTarget Weather Network was taken off last year for Quest I think Comcast also did that as well. WZZM would be in last place if they did a 10PM newscast.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

inmyopinion

Post by inmyopinion » Thu May 30, 2019 9:34 am

48125er wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:11 am
I've heard she is a really bitchy person to work for. Explains that's why many people suddenly quit on 3 Mile. I can imagine those whos have stayed their the longest have kissed her ass.
I have never heard that about her and I don't think slamming her personally is fair. Her rep has been and remains that she is a shrewd negotiator and toes the company line over individuals 100% of the time.

Honolulublue4life

Post by Honolulublue4life » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:12 pm

https://www.tegna.com/tegna-appoints-da ... nd-rapids/

Tysons, VA – TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) announced today that Dan Baylog, director of programming and research strategy at WKYC in Cleveland and director of research at WVEC in Norfolk, has been appointed president and general manager at WZZM in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Baylog replaces Janet Mason, who retired this month after more than 20 years at the station and over 40 years with TEGNA.

Baylog joined TEGNA in 2014 as director of research and strategy at WKYC-Cleveland, adding programming to his portfolio in 2015 before also being named director of research at WVEC-Norfolk in 2016. He is a graduate of the TEGNA Executive Leadership Program, an internal course of study that identifies and prepares talented TEGNA employees to become general managers. Prior to joining TEGNA, Baylog has held positions of increasing responsibility in sales and research at Fox Television Stations and E.W. Scripps in Washington, DC. He has also taught at Kent State University’s School of Journalism & Mass Communications.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic