Acceptable registrations in the queue through January 10 at 7:30a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Bill Harris retiring

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
BME
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by BME » Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 pm

Hey, 101 -- I'm not thrilled about Bill Harris' retirement (I know him -- we used to live on the same street, and I used to be in the Flint media). But if it will mean you will stop yammering on about how much you don't like him, that will be no small consolation.

You are one sick puppy.



autolab
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by autolab » Wed May 08, 2019 3:41 am

HL101: for someone who claims never to have been in the broadcast media world, you seem to know a lot about broadcast news media website biography writing. So either you're lying about not being in TV in your past or you're lying about your knowledge of biography writing. Either way, you're a liar and shouldn't be trusted.

As for your claim that Bill is not effective, then why has every TV station in this market either employed him or has attempted to employ him? Yes, even the Rusty Nickle unsuccessfully tried to hire Bill -- only to lose out to 25. Ian and Al were furious.

So if 12, 5, 25, and 66 all see the value in having Bill on their airwaves, then yes, I think Bill has been extremely effective as a anchor and reporter in this market.

Before you go on to spew more hateful comments, I'd like to quote the wise BME: HL101, you are one sick puppy.



User avatar
Herm
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Herm » Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am
Juxtapose (look it up) Bill Harris’ career with someone like Jim Kiertzner.

Jim digs every day, while Bill reads a TelePrompTer.

Jim makes new connections and works existing sources, while Bill cheers on the Boston teams.

Jim tracks down corrupt public officials and holds them accountable, while Bill coaches police on how to talk to the media and sets up the next positive police story.

Jim seeks to be the lead story, discovering new content that no other station will have, while Bill posts photos of his grandkids on the news set.

Has Bill been around a long time? Indisputable.
Is he well-liked? Yes.
Is he effective? No.
Is Jim effective? Yes.
Using a less commonly used word and then telling people to look it up is quite possibly the most pretentious thing I’ve ever seen.
You are greatly undervaluing how difficult it can be to read a teleprompter.
I worked with Bill for years and I work with Jim right now. I seriously doubt that Jim shares your opinion of Bill. I don’t know it for sure, but I’d be willing to bet a dollar on it. That being said, I imagine Bill WOULD share your opinion of Jim because Jim is an amazing reporter and journalist.
I think your personal opinions of Bill are impeding your ability to be objective about his career as a broadcaster... which has been successful.



autolab
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by autolab » Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am

Ian and Al had one moment of sanity. I'm still waiting for you to have one.



BME
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by BME » Fri May 10, 2019 10:34 pm

autolab wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:41 am
Before you go on to spew more hateful comments, I'd like to quote the wise BME: HL101, you are one sick puppy.
And I'm serious about it, too -- I think HL101 is mentally ill and needs help.



Willie108
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:43 am
Location: Flint Twp.

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Willie108 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:53 am

Honestly, we all know who this LL person is. Connect the dots. How'd that "Weather Garden", and "Buck Pole" work out for ya??



autolab
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by autolab » Sat May 11, 2019 8:09 am

Willie is 100% correct. And he wins today's prize package of "I guessed the Buzzboard Troll" sleeveless t-shirt.

But -- once again HL101 -- you (falsely) claim that you've never worked in broadcasting. But you know for a fact that:
-- Mr. Harris wrote his own website biography
-- Mr. Harris is ineffective in his job, disputing the fact that he's been hired by two of the three TV stations and was recruited by the third
-- reading a TelePrompTer is an easy skill to learn
-- winning awards like Emmys are easy if you pay for them
-- longevity in this business is easy
-- Mr. Harris doesn't work a full shift
-- (and I could go on and on and on)

If you say you have NEVER worked in this business, that you are not a failed TV meteorologist now working as a failing print meteorologist, and that you have never worked with Mr. Harris... then every one of your statements has to be lies or conjecture.

Either way, go spew your lies and hate somewhere else. We don't want to hear it.

It still baffles me why the Buzzboard moderator allows HL101 to attack others and derail topic after topic. I nominate HL101 to be the next inducted into the Buzzboard Douchebag Repository. According to HL101's criteria, it's gotta be as prestigious and exclusive as winning a Murrow Award.



autolab
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by autolab » Sat May 11, 2019 8:41 am

All evidence. All unchallenged by you...



autolab
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by autolab » Sat May 11, 2019 10:31 am

Go back and read my post. I've tired of you for this morning. I'm going out and do something productive. You should try it.



User avatar
Herm
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Herm » Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 7:08 am
Willie108 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 5:53 am
Honestly, we all know who this LL person is. Connect the dots. How'd that "Weather Garden", and "Buck Pole" work out for ya??
100% wrong.
It still cracks me up that people think you’re Mark.



User avatar
Herm
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Herm » Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 am
Herm wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am
Juxtapose (look it up) Bill Harris’ career with someone like Jim Kiertzner.

Jim digs every day, while Bill reads a TelePrompTer.

Jim makes new connections and works existing sources, while Bill cheers on the Boston teams.

Jim tracks down corrupt public officials and holds them accountable, while Bill coaches police on how to talk to the media and sets up the next positive police story.

Jim seeks to be the lead story, discovering new content that no other station will have, while Bill posts photos of his grandkids on the news set.

Has Bill been around a long time? Indisputable.
Is he well-liked? Yes.
Is he effective? No.
Is Jim effective? Yes.
You are greatly undervaluing how difficult it can be to read a teleprompter.
autolab wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am
Ian and Al had one moment of sanity. I'm still waiting for you to have one.
Arguing the difficulty of reading a TelePrompTer? Arguing that competitors wanted to hire someone? Are these really the best we’ve got?

Again, I’m not saying he’s not a nice person. I’m sure he is. I’m not saying he’s not been on television a long time, there’s clear evidence for that. But when you look at metrics of an effective news person, many others outshine.
Yes... reading the TelePrompTer is not easy. There are so many things going on during a newscast. Being an anchor is difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades is even MORE difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades and gaining the respect of almost every person you work with and encounter professionally is so difficult, it’s almost unheard of. You seem to know quite a bit about broadcasting, I’m really surprised you are downplaying these facts of this business. I can only assume that it’s because you don’t like Bill and so you can’t be objective about his career. If that’s the case, just say so.
It’s silly to compare Bill to field reporters. Anchoring and reporting are two COMPLETELY different jobs that require COMPLETELY different skill sets and have COMPLETELY different goals. Once again, for someone who seems to not be ignorant of the broadcasting industry, I’m surprised you don’t seem to know that.
Also, it doesn’t matter what sports teams he roots for.



User avatar
Herm
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:31 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Herm » Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:48 pm
Herm wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:20 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:50 am
Herm wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:24 am
lovinlife101 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am
Juxtapose (look it up) Bill Harris’ career with someone like Jim Kiertzner.

Jim digs every day, while Bill reads a TelePrompTer.

Jim makes new connections and works existing sources, while Bill cheers on the Boston teams.

Jim tracks down corrupt public officials and holds them accountable, while Bill coaches police on how to talk to the media and sets up the next positive police story.

Jim seeks to be the lead story, discovering new content that no other station will have, while Bill posts photos of his grandkids on the news set.

Has Bill been around a long time? Indisputable.
Is he well-liked? Yes.
Is he effective? No.
Is Jim effective? Yes.
You are greatly undervaluing how difficult it can be to read a teleprompter.
autolab wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am
Ian and Al had one moment of sanity. I'm still waiting for you to have one.
Arguing the difficulty of reading a TelePrompTer? Arguing that competitors wanted to hire someone? Are these really the best we’ve got?

Again, I’m not saying he’s not a nice person. I’m sure he is. I’m not saying he’s not been on television a long time, there’s clear evidence for that. But when you look at metrics of an effective news person, many others outshine.
Yes... reading the TelePrompTer is not easy. There are so many things going on during a newscast. Being an anchor is difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades is even MORE difficult. Being an anchor in the same market for 4 decades and gaining the respect of almost every person you work with and encounter professionally is so difficult, it’s almost unheard of. You seem to know quite a bit about broadcasting, I’m really surprised you are downplaying these facts of this business. I can only assume that it’s because you don’t like Bill and so you can’t be objective about his career. If that’s the case, just say so.
It’s silly to compare Bill to field reporters. Anchoring and reporting are two COMPLETELY different jobs that require COMPLETELY different skill sets and have COMPLETELY different goals. Once again, for someone who seems to not be ignorant of the broadcasting industry, I’m surprised you don’t seem to know that.
Also, it doesn’t matter what sports teams he roots for.
I don’t know Bill. I don’t like or dislike him. It would be false to say either because I don’t know him. The only thing I have to go on is what is seen publicly.

You’d think someone who’s been in a profession that long would have more to show for it.

When people are saying how difficult TelePrompTer reading is, they’re stretching. Who else has had that privilege? What if the only thing people said about a longtime NBA player is “Well, you know, dribbling a basketball is more difficult than it looks.”

And, no, being in the same place that long is not difficult. Ask any autoworker who worked at the same plant for 30 or 40+ years. To stay at the same place, all you have to do is not move, not take any risks, not be sought by anyone else, and do an adequate enough job not to lose your position. Not difficult at all.

Sure, anchoring and reporting are different skills. It just shows, to your point, how much better Terry and Jim are. They excel at both!
Dribbling a basketball in the NBA is difficult and anyone who can do it for a long time DOES deserve respect as a basketball player.
Once again, for someone who seems to be aware of how the broadcast industry works, you are ignoring some very harsh realities of that industry. Holding a job, especially as a lead anchor, for a long time is not easy. All it takes is for one person, if it’s the right/wrong person, to not like you and your time in that market could be over.
I’m sure there are a lot of hard working auto workers who have been laid off after a long career that would take serious issue with your statements... and rightfully so.
I’m not going to debate you on the performance of other anchors/reporters. It’s really irrelevant to this discussion. This isn’t Thunderdome.
You’re not going to convince me you are right. While I do enjoy talking about broadcasting, this discussion is starting to wear on me. I will stick up for Bill because I respect him but he doesn’t need me to stick up for him. Neither one of us really values your opinion.



DAC
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:43 pm

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by DAC » Mon May 13, 2019 9:07 pm

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:45 pm
He’s been around a long time and he is well-liked. Maybe that’s enough.
It could be. You've only been around here for 8 years and are widely despised.



autolab
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by autolab » Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 pm

I find it hilarious that HL101 criticizes others for apparently not knowing who he is... yet he takes every opportunity to criticize Bill who he "claims" to have never met. HL101 is a living definition of a "hypocrite."



User avatar
Calvert DeForest
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:14 pm
Location: The corner of US-16 and M-78

Re: Bill Harris retiring

Post by Calvert DeForest » Thu May 16, 2019 8:03 am

I gave Bill and a class he was teaching a tour of our facility some years back. He was most gracious and kind. I remember feeling taken aback some time later when he declined my friend request on Facebook, which in retrospect was petty on my part, and a reason why I don't engage in social media anymore (it really does mess up your priorities). I wish him the best in his retirement!


If you ask who I'm voting for, I'll tell you I'm voting for the person I'm voting for.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic