All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

So many 50 kW AM signals

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
k8jd
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Commerce, MI

So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by k8jd » Fri May 03, 2019 3:59 pm

If you used , as a starting point, the corner of 135th St. and 7th ave, in Harlem. Run a radius of 8.5 miles out from that point, and scribe a circle around there, That circle would enclose all eleven of NYC's 50 kilowatt radio station transmiter/antenna sites.

Now the Question is, do I have too much free time on my hands ? :lol:



Deleted User 14992

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Fri May 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Are you retired? I am and don’t have enough hours in a day, Go figure.



CK-722
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by CK-722 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:38 am

NYC 50 kW AMs

660 WFAN
710 WOR
770 WABC
880 WCBS
970 WNYM (5 kW Night) Hackensack, NJ
1010 WINS
1050 WEPN
1130 WBBR
1280 WADO (7.2 kW Night)
1560 WFME

Did I miss one?

1600 WWRL is 25 kW Day 5 kW Night
1190 WLIB is 10 kW Day, 30 kW Night


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

k8jd
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Commerce, MI

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by k8jd » Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 pm

CK-722 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 9:38 am
NYC 50 kW AMs

660 WFAN
710 WOR
770 WABC
880 WCBS
970 WNYM (5 kW Night) Hackensack, NJ
1010 WINS
1050 WEPN
1130 WBBR
1280 WADO (7.2 kW Night)
1560 WFME

Did I miss one?

1600 WWRL is 25 kW Day 5 kW Night
1190 WLIB is 10 kW Day, 30 kW Night
I had WLIB 1190, as 50 KW daytime power :D



k8jd
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Commerce, MI

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by k8jd » Sat May 04, 2019 1:56 pm

Chuck Davies wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:06 pm
Are you retired? I am and don’t have enough hours in a day, Go figure.
I do work on the house , paint, grden here and work on electrical, plumbing and major appliances for 3 grown up sons as well and still have time for my first love, Amateur Radio, BCL and SWL too.!



Deleted User 14992

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by Deleted User 14992 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:58 pm

Well take it slow and definitely enjoy the first love.



User avatar
Turkeytop
Posts: 2995
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by Turkeytop » Sat May 04, 2019 8:20 pm

k8jd wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:59 pm
If you used , as a starting point, the corner of 135th St. and 7th ave, in Harlem. Run a radius of 8.5 miles out from that point, and scribe a circle around there, That circle would enclose all eleven of NYC's 50 kilowatt radio station transmiter/antenna sites.

Now the Question is, do I have too much free time on my hands ? :lol:
I'm retired too and now you've inspired me to put my time to better use, doing worthwhile studies like that.



k8jd
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Commerce, MI

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by k8jd » Sun May 05, 2019 12:11 am

Ever since I was a kid, loved maps and radio, I just combine them. Locating tower sites, with multiple tower AM arrays, on Google earth is another thing I do.



CK-722
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by CK-722 » Sun May 05, 2019 2:25 am

I used to go out to the Berz Airport and get the Michigan VFR Map every year, so I could see if there were any new towers. Now there are so many cell towers, it's hard to keep track. And the AM stations that were shown have all but disappeared. The CKLW 800 Icon near Harrow I think has finally disappeared. There used to be WJR 760, WTAC 600, and WFDF 910 on the VFR Chart within 40 miles or so. CKLW 800 was the last one. Berz Airport is now a Sub, and the UIZ 215 kHz Beacon, also shown on the VFR Chart, with the T-Antenna is gone, along with the Harmonics like the Sixth Harmonic on 1290 kHz, which you could hear for miles, .._ .. __..


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

CK-722
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by CK-722 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:45 am

I'm amazed that they are all that close to Manhattan. The Meadowlands are just across the River. The environmentalists want to get rid of the Salt Water that the Amish let in for irrigation, so if they do, the TL sites in NJ will become less desirable. Somebody told me that the Meadowlands had a conductivity of 40 mS/meter with the Sea Water backwash.


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

innate-in-you
Posts: 244
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by innate-in-you » Mon May 06, 2019 7:31 pm

k8jd wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:59 pm
If you used , as a starting point, the corner of 135th St. and 7th ave, in Harlem. Run a radius of 8.5 miles out from that point, and scribe a circle around there, That circle would enclose all eleven of NYC's 50 kilowatt radio station transmiter/antenna sites.

Now the Question is, do I have too much free time on my hands ? :lol:
And the soil conductivity is so abysmal, if you're more than 8.5 miles from Harlem, you won't hear any of them!
(OK, that's an exaggeration, but there are 1kW class C stations in the US that cover more land than 50kW NYC and Atlanta AMs).
Being where they are, they don't cover anywhere near the number of people the 50kW stations do.



CK-722
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by CK-722 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:48 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:31 pm
k8jd wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:59 pm
If you used , as a starting point, the corner of 135th St. and 7th ave, in Harlem. Run a radius of 8.5 miles out from that point, and scribe a circle around there, That circle would enclose all eleven of NYC's 50 kilowatt radio station transmiter/antenna sites.

Now the Question is, do I have too much free time on my hands ? :lol:
And the soil conductivity is so abysmal
Except when you go into the New Jersey Meadowlands, where the sea water backwash was allowed.


Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

k8jd
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:35 pm
Location: Commerce, MI

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by k8jd » Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Much of lower MI has sandy soil and makes for lousy AM band ground Wave.



phillyb
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:36 pm
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by phillyb » Sat May 18, 2019 1:19 pm

Coverage areas differ tremendously from west to east in Michigan.

I remember seeing a map of 1520 kHz coverage areas in Michigan back in the 1970s.

WKJR-1520 Muskegon covered about the same area in square miles with 10 kilowatts as did WYNZ-1520 Ypsilanti with 250 watts! Neither station exists anymore, by the way.

The really lousy sandy soil of Wests Michigan caused the low coverage area for AMs from Muskegon and Elsewhere in the West, while the loamy soil of Eastern Michigan allowed much larger coverage areas for stations there.



ftballfan
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: So many 50 kW AM signals

Post by ftballfan » Sat May 18, 2019 5:38 pm

phillyb wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:19 pm
Coverage areas differ tremendously from west to east in Michigan.

I remember seeing a map of 1520 kHz coverage areas in Michigan back in the 1970s.

WKJR-1520 Muskegon covered about the same area in square miles with 10 kilowatts as did WYNZ-1520 Ypsilanti with 250 watts! Neither station exists anymore, by the way.

The really lousy sandy soil of Wests Michigan caused the low coverage area for AMs from Muskegon and Elsewhere in the West, while the loamy soil of Eastern Michigan allowed much larger coverage areas for stations there.
WYNZ still exists, as WDEO and on 990 (the station moved from 1520 to 990 in the 1980s)



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic