Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Will URban expand in Toledo?

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 14990

Will URban expand in Toledo?

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:21 pm

With URban llc, unloading there entire Muscle Shoals/Florence cluster, this leaves them with 5 stations. 2 in Toledo and 3 in Columbus Mississippi. I'm not sure why they sold that cluster of stations, I know little about URban as a company. My own theory is they might be looking to expand in Toledo. Candidates would be : WTOD, WPFX,and maybe WJUC. A big broadcaster would have no interest in these signals, there mediocre at best in terms of coverage.

However a small company, might be able to make a go at one of them. Possibly enter URban? If they were to acquire 2 signals, they would have to do 2 non urban based formats, not to hurt Wjze and WIMX. Say a Jack FM and a soft ac. If just 1, then maybe a simulcast for WJZE or Gospel "praise" type format. If they were to get, say 106.5 on the cheap it might be worth it but I wouldn't over pay for any of the said signals.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Will URban expand in Toledo?

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:43 pm

My guess is they are looking to sell their remaining stations to exit the radio business completely and wind down operations.

Don't be surprised if an outside operator comes into town and scoops up stations from existing indie owners in the area.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:30 pm

well.. considering the website has not been updated in eons, also why you would only own 5 stations so far away from each other in this day in age? Could be there ready to dump out.

For Toledo, it would likely be Adams(who owns a cluster in FT Wayne) or Wolf boom(I think that's the name). WIMX and WJZE go together, I could see WPFX too, maybe WTOD as well. Could 1520am be part of the deal too? would Welch be ready to sell 107.3?

Say, pair 1520 and 106.5 together, relaunch it under a new name and make it sound like a decent sports station with a couple local day parts, not some canned ESPN repeater.Sports could well in Toledo, if done half way decent. Flip 107.7 a jack FM type format.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:34 am

I have no predictions as to what may or may not happen with URban in Toledo, though as an occasional listener to Mix 95.7, I would hate to see it go! In addition, there would be a lot of upset listeners to Hip-Hop and R & B radio if Toledo's 95.7, 97.3 and 107.3 were all sold. Similar to the way they/we felt when the old WKLR (K-99.9) dropped R & B to be come the country music station known as K-100, in the 1980s.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:13 pm

well... I highly doubt 95.7 would be changing formats, a new owner would be foolish to do so. Now, say if WIMX,WJZE,WJUC, were sold to the same owner plus WTOD or WPFX. I'd say the juice would be the one to go, as WJZE's signal is a tad better. That would cause a stir certainly.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:30 pm

Yeah, 107.3's signal is great from west Toledo/Sylvania and further west, but not so much east. Not sure how eager Welch is to make any moves, selling or buying, right now. As for 95.7, they appear to have resolved their technical issues that seemed to plague them this winter.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:01 pm

I didn't know WIMX was having issues. 95.7 has always had a decent signal in Toledo, there stick is in Gibsonburg. I remember when they were Y95.7. R&B isn't my kind of music but they are a solid station and even if sold, the format stays. Toledo has 3 Urban stations Technically, 94.9 gets decent ratings for a Translator.

Welch, I remember he was quoted in The Toledo once, saying he would burn the station before selling it. That was 20 years ago. So it's hard to say.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:05 pm

Yeah this winter Mix 95.7 seemed to have satellite issues of some sort, for the 3 syndicated shows they air. I vaguely remember that quote from Welch, though I thought he said he'd burn it down before selling specifically to Clear Channel (now iHeart.)

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:33 pm

I think CC came by offering him top dollar for it. I used to really look forward to Chris Borelli's article in The Blade every week, that was in one of his articles.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Thu May 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Noticed a change to URban's Mix 95.7 in Toledo today. They seemed to have switched to Westwood One's "Hits & Oldies" 24/7 format. The music is similar to what they had been playing, though not as much new stuff. Don't know about Tom Joyner's show, but D.L. Hughley's show and the "Sweat Hotel" were gone. Instead, just music and a few "Hits & Oldies" promos/liners which didn't mention "Mix 95.7 at all, other than the top of hour id. In addition, a new request line was given, 800-227-7685.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:25 pm

hmmm? Weren't they running What was, ABC's Touch format for a number of years? In some day parts anyways. They had carried the Sweat Hotel for sometime.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Thu May 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Yeah, that phone number sounded familiar to me. I think it was used by "The Touch" back then, but as you know, Westwood One took over all those 24/7 formats from ABC. I did hear a Tom Joyner promo, so maybe their keeping that. Also hoping they keep their local mid-day host, Brandy Brown.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:17 pm

I heard Brandy Brown just the other day. Yeah, there still airing the same service.

80sTalkRadioFan

Post by 80sTalkRadioFan » Mon May 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Yes they still call themselves the station for "hits and oldies" but Joyner, Hughley and Sweat are back on, as of last Wednesday.

Deleted User 14990

Post by Deleted User 14990 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:25 pm

Yeah, I have it a listen yesterday. I did see The Sweat Motel is back. Speaking of URban llc, there website has not be updated a in a long time. So I am thinking there contemplating exiting the biz. https://www.urbanradio.fm/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic