Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Most distant AM/FM/TV signal you ever tuned in?

The technical side of broadcasting. Think IBOC is a sham? Talk about it here! How about HDTV? Post DX reports here as well.
innate-in-you

Re: Most distant AM/FM/TV signal you ever tuned in?

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:35 pm

Cleveland does have a Channel 5, WEWS (RF 15, virtual 5).
Not so easy from Tawas, with WNEM so close and even larger outdoor antennas having a relatively wide beam width.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:55 pm

innate-in-you wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:11 am
AM: Heard "Rainy Days And Mondays" on 567kHz presunrise, followed by an announcer with an Irish accent, but no ID; years ago a Venezuelan on 540 after CBK signed off for the night; KFI, and a 1000w station in the San Francisco area on 1640 when it was the only thing in the world on the frequency.

SW: a Ham in Hobart, Tasmania on 40m (He heard me, too), Not long ago, Radio Australia from Shepparton on 9850 would come in with a very strong signal around sunrise. I could listen to it in the skyscraper I was working in.

TV: BBC1 Crystal Palace and uniform TF1 French AM audios, and the very strong video buzzes on 45.00, 48.25 and 49.75 - I lacked any multi-standard to see them. In fact, EVERYBODY in the WTFDA with access to a radio that could tune the band could hear them easily (this was 1979/80).
I do remember the 1640 from California in the mid-90’s they were the first to go on the air on the AM X-Band that was a once in a lifetime DX experience.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 pm

mtburb wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:45 pm
Steve Korvette wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:03 pm
I think there are 9 towers left for 1500, It’s been a while since I’ve seen them. Also I remember being able to see WKNR’s towers from a distance at night and not being able to receive Keener 13 at all in the nighttime. And I can’t forget WJR’s one tower from Riverview, I was able to see that one at night as well.
You are correct in that 1500 (which is now WLQV) still has those nine towers. They once had an additional set closer to Dix-Toledo that was taken out to make room for a Super Kmart, which was eventually converted into a Meijer.

The Meijer could have been built without razing the three easternmost towers.

They could have kept those three in the parking lot by placing fences around the towers.

WSB in Atlanta is in a store parking lot.

Then again, why would WLQV use a twelve-tower array, when nine-tower offers a wider beam width?

weathernut

Post by weathernut » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:38 pm

From just west of Mt.Pleasant, MI picked up 94.9 out of Miami, Fl. While in Minneapolis picked up a station on 103.3 from the Carolinas. And in my trip from Odessa to SanAntonio TX, picked up several stations from northern WI. Called WDEZ and chatted with jock who ended up putting it on air.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:57 am

The 1640 in Vallejo is KDIA, carrying the legacy call letters of 1310 KMKY (they really should go back to their three letter legacy callsign KLS, though it no longer has the same meaning it would have long ago, either as a three letter callsign or "LS", where the jingle doesn't quite fit, though it did for KKLS Rapid City) along with the Memphis station WDIA. Seems like Sly Stone worked at the old KDIA as a DJ.

KDIA Vallejo switched to 1630 for a while and then back to 1640.

After KNX, KFI, KNBR, and KPMC/KNZR, KDIA was the fifth AM DX I logged from California.
Last edited by CK-722 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am

weathernut wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:38 pm
... picked up several stations from northern WI. Called WDEZ and chatted with jock who ended up putting it on air.
I think a lot of DXers have called or e-mailed stations they picked up by Es. But most people in the radio business have nooooo idea what tropo or E-skip is. Just none. At all. I usually keep to myself in that regard, but I at least did that once when I was picking up CFOU by Es for the fact I listened to the station for years and years and never thought I'd hear it. Funny you got WDEZ, which many of us get here in West Michigan regularly, by Es from another place!

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:57 pm

AM... stateside, KFI ONCE. One early morning in the summer of '76, while tuning to 550kHz to try to hear KFYR, I was surprised to hear KMVI in Hawaii coming in instead. White's listed it as 5kW.

EDIT: I also got KVOK in Kodiak, Alaska once while hunting for WHBQ on 560. Those 1kW low-band stations are amazing!

FM... Also in summer of '76, I picked up a local FM from Belize one night like it was on the same block. I don't recall what the calls or freq was. The same night, I was picking up a high school kid playing obscure rock songs on 89.7. I figured it was perhaps a pirate somewhere, but the kid ID'ed the station as "KNHS the Rock of the Block, broadcasting from North High School". Turns out, it was a ten watt station in Los Angeles!

TV... Picked up a station from Nevada coming in over Channel 9 in Windsor, some time around 1980. Was booming in strong for a half hour, then quickly faded away. I haven't even attempted to DX TV since the DTV transition.
Last edited by Ed Joseph on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I confirm all my information through a high, white whore's souse!

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Turkeytop wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:54 pm
I've heard stories of people getting radio signals on their tooth fillings.
Me, when working at WTRX and WTAC. Not really audible, but more like "buzzing to the high end sibilance". I have for years, and still occasionally do, hear CHU Canada on turntables when the headshell is removed.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:11 pm

We used to go to Tampa, FL for a few weeks every spring up until 1979. I always tried to see if any local station from Flint would come in there. I heard WTAC a few times, WTRX and WFDF once. WOWO seemed to always come in there, albeit after midnight.

I wonder now when I actually slept when I was a kid, since I was *always* up all night long listening to shortwave or AM/FM DX. Different areas on AM band came in at different times. Far western stations usually didn't become audible until after 1AM in summer, 11 PM in winter. I always seemed to get better DX on AM in winter.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:22 pm

I recall in the late 70's, I'd sometimes scan across the TV dial for stations coming in on unused channels. I remember an Ohio station on I think it was channel 8 would come in from time tot time, and a station on channel 3 from I think it was Illinois or Indiana. Over the years, I have caught many odd channels from other states on analog TV.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am

Ed Joseph wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:57 pm
TV... Picked up a station from Nevada coming in over Channel 9 in Windsor, some time around 1980. Was booming in strong for a half hour, then quickly faded away. I haven't even attempted to DX TV since the DTV transition.
That's... interesting. Nevada is impossible via tropo in Michigan due to the mountains and Channel 9 would be so ridiculously rare via Es that it's nearly (but not totally) unfeasible. To have the MUF climb that high happens perhaps once every 10 years. While it spiked up to Channel 13 in the blockbuster July 2004 opening - though reported only in the Adirondacks and only hit Ch. 7 here - few have reported anything above Ch. 7 more than perhaps once or twice since, though "since" kinda ends at the 2009 death of analog. At least it's within a single hop (though if you're in southeast Michigan, then just barely). Of course, it would be near impossible to ID via Ms as well, not to say I've heard of many Ms receptions on TV to begin with, and it wouldn't be in for more than a few seconds.

Not saying it didn't happen, of course, along with your double hop to Belize. Just saying it's incredibly, ridiculously, astonishingly rare to the point it would be hard to convince any seasoned DXer of the reception. :?

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

k8jd

Post by k8jd » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 am

I think there are 9 towers left for 1500, It’s been a while since I’ve seen them. Also I remember being able to see WKNR’s towers from a distance at night and not being able to receive Keener 13 at all in the nighttime. And I can’t forget WJR’s one tower from Riverview, I was able to see that one at night as well.
[/quote]

You are correct in that 1500 (which is now WLQV) still has those nine towers. They once had an additional set closer to Dix-Toledo that was taken out to make room for a Super Kmart, which was eventually converted into a Meijer.
[/quote]

The Meijer could have been built without razing the three easternmost towers.

They could have kept those three in the parking lot by placing fences around the towers.

WSB in Atlanta is in a store parking lot.

Then again, why would WLQV use a twelve-tower array, when nine-tower offers a wider beam width?
[/quote]

I seem to recall (from my teen years) when WJBK had 12 towers , when they were 10 K Day and 5 K night! I remember driving home from Detroit to Livonia and hearing the night signal fade away when we crossed Inkster road westbound on 7 mile.

Ed Joseph

Post by Ed Joseph » Thu May 30, 2019 2:29 pm

cckadlec wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am

That's... interesting. Nevada is impossible via tropo in Michigan due to the mountains and Channel 9 would be so ridiculously rare via Es that it's nearly (but not totally) unfeasible. To have the MUF climb that high happens perhaps once every 10 years. While it spiked up to Channel 13 in the blockbuster July 2004 opening - though reported only in the Adirondacks and only hit Ch. 7 here - few have reported anything above Ch. 7 more than perhaps once or twice since, though "since" kinda ends at the 2009 death of analog. At least it's within a single hop (though if you're in southeast Michigan, then just barely). Of course, it would be near impossible to ID via Ms as well, not to say I've heard of many Ms receptions on TV to begin with, and it wouldn't be in for more than a few seconds.

Not saying it didn't happen, of course, along with your double hop to Belize. Just saying it's incredibly, ridiculously, astonishingly rare to the point it would be hard to convince any seasoned DXer of the reception. :?
I can only wonder if this wasn't ducting via cold front or something. It was incredible, to say the least.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:25 pm

cckadlec wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am
Ed Joseph wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:57 pm

Sporadic-E in band III is extraordinarily rare.

The late Pat Dyer, WA5IYX, who started TV DXing in 1957 posted his whole TV log, before he passed away about two years ago.

It shows litterally thousands of hours of TV DX, about 15 minutes of which was highband, in one opening giving one logging and another providing a few stations, including KSFY (13) in Sioux Falls.

Oddly enough, that was in February, which most DXers consider to be the worst for Es.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:49 pm

https://youtu.be/_1rwPLb-tOU

I grabbed my Blackberry in July of 2010 when I suddenly heard opera over 89x. KUHF from Houston was beating 89x in Sterling Heights. Even strong enough to get a full HD lock. I've never gotten a catch from that far away since. This is the video I captured

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic