Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

What’s happened to WJW-TV??

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Deleted User 7620

What’s happened to WJW-TV??

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:16 pm

During the glory days as a CBS affiliate, I remember Channel 8 being a powerhouse in the Cleveland/Akron market. The station was innovative, it was creative, it had great local content, it had great newscasts.

Even in its early days as a Fox affiliate and later as a Fox O&O, the station was still pretty decent.

But since 2008-2009, this station seemed to do a serious slide.

They are using the same graphics they’ve been using since 2007, the same news set since 2007, and the same content.

It calls itself “Cleveland’s Own,” but the station seems to lack an identity.

I think it might have something to do with the ownership change. Fox 8 seems to be in limbo right now with the pending sale to Nextar. They don’t seem to be spending much money on WJW.

I think dropping the Fox branding and going back to “Channel 8” or even using the “ Cleveland 8” band would be good. They don’t have to use the Fox branding anymore, as it’s no longer a Fox O&O. They need to do something to reconnect with NE Ohio viewers. A branding change, imo, would do wonders. It’s worked for the Boston Fox affiliate, WFXT.

Ohio_Quebecois

Re: What’s happened to WJW-TV??

Post by Ohio_Quebecois » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:25 pm

I’m a little south of their target (Canton area) but it seems most of the locals are pretty staunch Fox 8 viewers. Maybe it’s the long local morning show, as that’s a big deal in this area. I’ve always thought of them as equal with the ABC 5 crew and light years ahead of WOIO 19.

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:09 am

Fox 8 News in the Morning is beyond dominant here. It is a ratings machine.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Inundated wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:09 am
Fox 8 News in the Morning is beyond dominant here. It is a ratings machine.

Indeed WJW/FOX 8 leads the pack.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:09 pm

WJW is a ratings winner because WEWS is not good and WKYC is not consistent at times. WOIO has been a hit if miss since 2003.

WJW imo, needs an image change. It doesn’t have to use the Fox branding anymore and they need to upgrade their graphics and news set.

It can call itself “Cleveland’s television 8” or something. Make it more of a 24 hour news source. I would follow the WFXT and WSVN model.

AMFMTV

Post by AMFMTV » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:35 am

How's it go? If it ain't broke don't "fix it'". WJW doesn't need an image change if it's the market leader. IIRC WJW still a FOX affiliate.

As for being a 24 hour news source.... no one has money for that these days. There's brokered/paid programming on all of the CLE affiliates including WJW with it's New Day Cleveland.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:03 pm

I do have to agree with all of you WJW/FOX 8 definitely needs an image update but I will say good luck with that because “future owned“ Nexstar broadcasting group is horrible, they have owned WDTN 2 in Dayton for over 3 years now and done absolutely nothing with that station. On the other hand WOIO TV, from what I seen on YouTube. Cleveland’s 19 has a nice graphics update since the new ownership. I’m surprise WXIX FOX 19 in Cincinnati hasn’t received that update yet, which is also a “GRAY” Broadcast station.

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:03 pm

AMFMTV wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:35 am
How's it go? If it ain't broke don't "fix it'". WJW doesn't need an image change if it's the market leader. IIRC WJW still a FOX affiliate.

As for being a 24 hour news source.... no one has money for that these days. There's brokered/paid programming on all of the CLE affiliates including WJW with it's New Day Cleveland.

WFXT dropped the Fox branding anc it’s still a Fox affiliate. It was the best decision that station has made. “Boston 25” identifies with Boston viewers.

Cleveland viewers remember the old “Television 8” days. Calling it “Cleveland’s Television 8” not only takes WJW back to its glory days, it gives it a local feeling. It also reinforces its stance as Cleveland’s ratings winner. They could even bring back the ”ei8ht” logo. Fox is and should be secondary. It’s a Fox affiliate, not a Fox O&O. It’s not WJBK in Detroit or WNYW in NYC, which are both Fox O&Os.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 pm

I have only vague memories if WJW-TV when it had that neat "Ei8ht" logo.
Perhaps a ham in Ireland complained (LOL).

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:48 am

I don't see any issues with older news sets and logos, as long as it isn't some sort of complete bland-looking set from the 60s (there are some that are darn close to that).

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:21 pm

organman95 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:48 am
I don't see any issues with older news sets and logos, as long as it isn't some sort of complete bland-looking set from the 60s (there are some that are darn close to that).

It’s bad when a station hasn’t upgraded its news set since 2007. Other Fox stations and affiliates have. WJW is in the Cleveland/Akron market. Last I checked, Cleveland is a major city. This isn’t Youngstown, OH or Erie, PA.

The lack of urgency to upgrade is concerning, especially since stations like WKYC and WOIO have. Rumor has it, WEWS will have an upgrade to its graphics package this year.

Inundated

Post by Inundated » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 am

Oh, I am sure they will update sets and graphics at some point. Probably after the Nexstar/whoever ends up with them dust settles. (Does Nexstar have a chain wide graphics style?)

But there's no hurry. WJW could put their news team on a barren set with hand-written graphics and still be #1.

JackAttack FM

Post by JackAttack FM » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 pm

CircleWXYZ wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:03 pm
WFXT dropped the Fox branding an[d] it’s still a Fox affiliate. It was the best decision that station has made. “Boston 25” identifies with Boston viewers.
Not yet. Its ratings are spiraling.
WFXT's 10 pm newscast is running second to WHDH and in fourth place at 6pm and 11pm. Its also losing talent to other stations and morning viewers to WHDH.
The station claimed research showed Boston viewers equated the "Fox" branding with the Fox News Channel.
Cleveland viewers remember the old “Television 8” days.
What's your target demo? 85 - 105?

Deleted User 7620

Post by Deleted User 7620 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:32 am

JackAttack FM wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:11 pm
CircleWXYZ wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:03 pm
WFXT dropped the Fox branding an[d] it’s still a Fox affiliate. It was the best decision that station has made. “Boston 25” identifies with Boston viewers.
Not yet. Its ratings are spiraling.
WFXT's 10 pm newscast is running second to WHDH and in fourth place at 6pm and 11pm. Its also losing talent to other stations and morning viewers to WHDH.
The station claimed research showed Boston viewers equated the "Fox" branding with the Fox News Channel.
Cleveland viewers remember the old “Television 8” days.
What's your target demo? 85 - 105?

Ownership change.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:28 am

Inundated wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:44 am
Oh, I am sure they will update sets and graphics at some point. Probably after the Nexstar/whoever ends up with them dust settles. (Does Nexstar have a chain wide graphics style?)

But there's no hurry. WJW could put their news team on a barren set with hand-written graphics and still be #1.
Yes they do, of course all the other stations owned by Nexstar seem to be getting updates to there new set and their graphics package, except for WDTN. What fortunately I’m not 100% sure how to get this link to go directly to the page but if you copy and paste you’ll be able to see it Nexstar media graphics package. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... p4emmQQfLv

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic