Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WMOM shuts down

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
mocom70

WMOM shuts down

Post by mocom70 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:10 pm

WMOM owner Pat Lopeman shut down the station yesterday, 4/1. He had me come up and dismantle the studios and help with the shutdown.

CK-722

Re: WMOM shuts down

Post by CK-722 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:34 pm

Is this an April Fools's Joke or is it for real?

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

mocom70

Post by mocom70 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:29 pm

It's for real.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:42 pm

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:46 pm

That’s too bad, More than likely some big company like IFart of Crumbulus will buy this station and another great Mom and Pop Station with local content will vanish. Radio totally sucks anymore.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:05 pm

Sorry to read that he had a car accident a month ago. Actually, a corporation might do better in such a situation than an individual, so I understand. I doubt that any H*** group owner will buy it, so don't worry about that. Be careful, folks.

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Wonder if wkla will try and improve since wmom is gone for now.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:01 pm

Well, that's quite unsatisfactory.

I checked the frequency and ppf... no MOM :( Just Chicago and Detroit fading in and out.

It would be more interesting had I not already heard pretty much everything on 102.7 within range. I'd rather have a true local station on the air 30 miles from home than an empty frequency, because god forbid some scummy company like iHeart (bankrupt but showing no such signs that they ever had any problems?) gets their hands on it instead. But you'd think someone who kept it a small local station all these years would care enough not to sell it to just anyone for financial gain, or else he would have and could have done that years ago...
hunterw wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:16 pm
Wonder if wkla will try [to] improve since wmom is gone for now.
Usually stations improve when they face competition. But since KLA obviously dropped the ball on THAT one when they actually had competition, I don't see them improving any now that they don't have competition... 97.7 98.7 and 96.3 just feel like space-fillers to me when I listen (and I'll admit I don't listen a great deal, mostly because of that and the fact that all 3 face interference at my location). Just feels like drone stations that run automated programming with no soul. It would take actual effort to even approach the level of WMOM. They weren't a *great* station, but anyone who tuned in could tell that they really cared about doing the best they could with the station they had.

Compared to the corporate dumpster fire we tune into all around us every day, WMOM went out on top and with respect. Kudos to them.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 am

From a DXing perspective, it is nice because the only other 102.7 I have ever received is WRVM.

There are several possible options on who I feel could get their hands on this frequency:
Midwestern (would likely become a simulcast of Z93 or NewsTalk 580 [97.7/98.7 and 580 don't share any talk shows AFAIK])
The people that own the Eagle 101.5s (101.5 Manistee and 102.7 sound like an obvious pairing, either as a simulcast or separate stations)
Synergy (they would have to sell off 96.3 and/or 98.7 to meet caps; IMHO 97.7 covers both Manistee and Ludington adequately)
A noncommercial entity (possibly as part of a trade with Synergy that would result in 96.3 or 98.7 going noncommercial)

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:25 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:13 am
A noncommercial entity (possibly as part of a trade with Synergy that would result in 96.3 or 98.7 going noncommercial)
I bet a Jesus operator will buy it. I can't see Interlochen going that far south and Blue Lake won't bite.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:45 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:25 pm
I bet a Jesus operator will buy it. I can't see Interlochen going that far south and Blue Lake won't bite.
Blue Lake already has one of the best signals in the western Great Lakes. I can pick up 90.3 across Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, and even on the east and north shore of Lake Superior. You're right... I don't think they'll bite because they've already bitten their chunk out of the radio market and swallowed it up. 88.7 Interlochen is already a local here. Certainly no additional coverage needed and little to no interference to it either. And as for IPR News Radio, 89.7 is just to the north in Manistee, though it gets beat to hell by Milwaukee Public Radio. Don't give them any ideas...

I'll send a tongue-in-cheek message to the WRVM engineer. If they acquire WMOM, they can once and for all solve all their interference problems on their flagship frequency in Wisconsin since WMOM has been a thorn in their side for years. After all, there is a reason for many of those translators up and down the shore and it's not just for a strong signal. Not that the engineer would enjoy the trip to Pentwater, but it would be a good example of problem-solving to buy it!! Of course, it would only be for a joke and they've long since established a massive network of translators to fill in any gaps.

I'm still wandering around listening to 102.7 seeing what's normal without WMOM (aside from what I always could hear in the nulls during good conditions). A trip to the beach in Muskegon was thwarted as Smile FM has obviously carried out their CP to move from Ravenna at 250w to a dinky 27w on the edge of the city, so they've made 102.7 hard to listen to. (I had noted some weeks ago that driving by their original tower, I couldn't get them on seek, and they're loud and clear in the city now, hence obviously moved). :evil:

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

CK-722

Re: WhMOM shuts down

Post by CK-722 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:48 pm

WRVM Suring should consider making it a "High Power Translator". I suspect that they only have problems with WMOM in WI near Lake Michigan. WRVM did have 1 watt translators in Michigan, W288AA in Escanaba or Gladstone was one I think. That, and W265AA in Petoskey was the only one in the LP, for WWRM/WKPK 106.7 Gaylord.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:52 pm

I agree this station will likely go non-comm if someone else chooses to purchase it.

Sounds like Mr. Lopeman has a lot on his plate personally and that continuing to operate the radio station was becoming too much to handle. I know he was very passionate about WMOM, and I doubt he made this decision lightly.

In any market of decent size, taking a station "dark" and then trying to flip & sell can have a derogatory effect on value. Buyers prefer to hear the station on the air. In a small town like Ludington, though, I don't know if that matters.

WMOM was an award winning radio station and very popular among local residents for many years. Mr. Lopeman and his staff are to be commended for their commitment to the local community. I respect the fact WMOM never relied (at least to the best of my knowledge) on generic satellite feeds to fill large blocs of programming time.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:52 pm
I respect the fact WMOM never relied (at least to the best of my knowledge) on generic satellite feeds to fill large blocs of programming time.
To my knowledge as well. Though I was never a regular listener, as my local, I obviously tuned it in regularly over the years and don't even think I can recall EVER hearing a satellite-fed program on the station, let alone a large block of time.

There aren't even many stations you can say that about these days, including the big corporate ones. 104.5 has syndicated programs, 105.3, 101.3 and 101.7 run parallel (give or take 30-60 seconds apart) for pretty much every and any night I flip through the dial (why the heck?!), 94.1 goes low-volume, crappy-audio satellite Christian contemporary on Sundays, 102.3 has syndicated programming, and even 92.1 plays (played?) Alice Cooper, etc.

Maybe 102.7 did run a syndicated program, but... I can't recall any. Very respectable indeed. With all these format changes, frequency changes, and even this one going off the air, I'm happy I spent 9 months recording every station while things were "normal" (before this flurry of changes everywhere). I could foresee things happening, but not this one!

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Wmom used to have countdown shows years ago on weekends and Sunday morning they did have religious music playing (not sure if it was live or syndicated). They also used Fox News for there national news along with local news done themselves.
Ludington has lost most of its good stations now. First it was 105.3, then 106.3 and now 102.7. Even 94.1 went south to cover Muskegon better. Only 3 truly full power locals now broadcast in mason county are 94.9, 96.3 and 98.7.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic