Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WDTR interfering with 88.7 northern suburbs.

Discussion pertaining to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Port Huron, and SW Ontario
tivoking

WDTR interfering with 88.7 northern suburbs.

Post by tivoking » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:05 pm

Does anyone have an issue with 88.7 when north of M-59 (Golden Butthole corridor), due to WDTR on 88.9? The 88.7 signal was fine a few years ago, but it has been bad for a while, and gave up on it. Wondering if 88.9 blasting in crystal clear has anything to do with it, or if 88.7's signal strength or direction changed. WDTR is only 3,200 watts, though.
WDTR will broadcast the main Smile FM network programming to the Rochester area and northern suburbs of Detroit. The coverage area will include portions of Oakland, Macomb, St. Clair, and Lapeer counties. This new facility was built and became active on August 3, 2016 with its new transmitter in Leonard, near Romeo.

Ben Zonia

Re: WDTR interfering with 88.7 northern suburbs.

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:30 pm

You have to realize that the CIMX signal is not protected outside Canada. You have to realize that many out of market stations used to be receivable in the Detroit Metro Area. Not only are almost all the alternate 400 kHz spaced stations blotted out by stations squeezed in from Canada, and almost all the Translator facilities. Then, nearly all grandfathered 200 kHz separated facilities which were widely available in many outlying areas are unlistenable due to iBOC sidebands. Frankly, I don't know why there hasn't been an outcry about all that. Even a McIntosh MR-78, MR-80, and newer models are rendered almost useless by those, without a sophisticated outdoor antenna, if then. So I guess I don't understand why there is outrage over certain stations are deemed more significant than others. All those squeeze ins and interference are COMPLETELY LEGAL under FCC Regulations and International Treaties.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:30 pm

It’s just 89 X who cares ! It’s Canadian so it’s not protected in the U.S, The Same situation with 93.9 CIDR there’s a Family Life Radio translator at 94.1 in Auburn Hills that interferes with them as well. Nothing can be done. And I personally think it’s great let’s get a couple more translators how about one at 88.5 and 93.7.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:30 pm

You have to realize that the CIMX signal is not protected outside Canada. You have to realize that out of market stations used to be receivable in the Detroit Metro Area. Not only are almost all the alternate 400 kHz spaced stations blotted out by stations squeezed in from Canada, and almost all the Translator facilities. Then, nearly all grandfathered 200 kHz separated facilities which were widely available in many outlying areas are unlistenable due to iBOC sidebands. Frankly, I don't know why there hasn't been an outcry about all that. Even a McIntosh MR-78, MR-80, and newer models are rendered almost useless by those, without a sophisticated outdoor antenna, if then. So I guess I don't understand why there is outrage over certain stations are deemed more significant than others. All those squeeze ins and interference are COMPLETELY LEGAL under FCC Regulations and International Treaties.

The horses have been running out of the barn for at least 30 odd years. And not until our/your horse is rustled, do many of us start to care.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:41 pm

Nothing against Canadian Radio, But all the new Windsor Area Stations definitely did not help the situation in this region, So the way I see it is tough for the Canadian Stations on the American side of the river. If they added all these stations in Windsor too bad, They cannot even financially support all that radio in Windsor.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:12 pm

I've driven M-24 into Lake Orion and Oxford (fairly close to 88.9's TX site) and never had any issue picking up 89X in the car.

Granted, the Oxford area doesn't receive as much projected RF from 88.9 as the Romeo area, since Oxford is in a null of WDTR-FM's directional pattern.

When I've driven M-59, at least in the Rochester Hills and northern Sterling Heights area, 88.9's signal seems very flimsy compared to that of 89X.

I do think CIMX-FM experiences intermittent signal issues. Their field strength at my house (indoors) is almost always noticeably weaker than that of CIDR-FM. It seems to waiver from time to time. I've also noticed differences in audio processing accuracy and loudness on CIMX-FM whereas CIDR-FM never has those issues.

WDTR-FM - at least on its current pattern - is a non-factor where I live. They do, however, have a CP that would significantly beef up their signal in the center of Oakland County.

Romeo is 44 miles from 89X's tower site, and in that azimuth, I believe 89X only sends 40,000 or 50,000 watts, not its fully licensed 100,000 watts.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:30 pm

As long as neither use IBOC, a selective tuner should solve the problem. Few Canadians and independent NCEs use IBOC.

-Author Unknown

tivoking

Post by tivoking » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Yeah. I knew there was nothing that could be done about it, but I guess it's nice to have a different type of music station in the area, that isn't only available on HD radio. It does seem that most days are better than others now that I've checked into it more. Not like I listen to it much anyway.
Last edited by tivoking on Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 14935

Post by Deleted User 14935 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:07 pm

Somebody should just put a station on 88.7 and block out 89X altogether and the same with 93.9. Two wasted frequencies.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic